anyone know what this electronic symbol might mean.

its a circle, there is a line with an arrow at the end going in to the circle and stopping at the middle of the circle. at the tip of the arrow (which is inside the circle), there is a thick black line that is vertical (but doesnt touch the the circle lines). then in the right side of the circle, attached to the thick vertical black line, there are two lines that touch each end of the thick black line (not quite the ends of the thick bblack line but almost) and they go on the right side of the circle (inside and out).

now on top of all this, it says Q1, which im pretty sure is just the name they gave to this part (like a variable, a,b,c,x,y or z or w/e), but more importantly under the Q1, it says 2N3819.

i googled, i searched...... and nothing came up. maybe this book is just outdated, seriously guys any help about this would be good, i seriously dont even know what this is.
It is an N-Channel FET.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I always thought circles with arrows through them were resistors or something, but I haven't done electronics for at least 6 years now and really have no idea.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
I always thought circles with arrows through them were resistors or something, but I haven't done electronics for at least 6 years now and really have no idea.

Transistors, in fact.

FET = Field Effect Transistor

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by freedoms_stain
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbol.htm

I googled "electronics symbols" and this was the top result.

After following that link, I was somewhat amused to find that the symbol for an FET isn't actually on there.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
It might have been better drawing it in Paint, but I'm assuming the link above can probably put you right.

If the 1 is subscript, Q1 probably stands for "charge 1", as in, the charge across the component, referred to as Q1 to make notation easier.

EDIT: Apparently that link won't help then, and after googling FET I think the guy who said it's an FET is right.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by JamieB
It might have been better drawing it in Paint, but I'm assuming the link above can probably put you right.

If the 1 is subscript, Q1 probably stands for "charge 1", as in, the charge across the component, referred to as Q1 to make notation easier.

On schematics Q quite simply means transistor. Q1 = Transistor 1 etc, it'll be where you put it on the circuit board, or for looking up components on the circuit board. Pretty nifty idea.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
Transistors, in fact.

FET = Field Effect Transistor

Ah, I'm actually quite proud for being relatively close.
You seem to know your stuff so I'll go with saying its an FET as well.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic