Poll Options
View poll results: affirmative action?
yea
18 16%
nay
95 84%
Voters: 113.
Page 1 of 2
i got into it with my history teacher yesterday about affirmative action, if you dont know what this is, its basically where the give an oppurtunity to a minority, or a person with a worse-off social background(unless they are white and poor) just because they are a minority and not to the candidate who is most deserving or most qualified. what do you guys think about the subject? is it a good thing or a bad thing?

EDIT: i personally am against it. i think racism is racism either way. keeping white males out of jobs is discrimination. the teacher was saying that it is ok, because apparantly us white people are "holding all the cards" if im holding any f*cking cards id like to know what they are. im not rich, not even close. and hasnt this idiot ever heard of white trash?
Last edited by deathbat831 at Feb 29, 2008,
Its the biggest piece of bull**** ever

its racism pure and simple
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Clearly from your emotive script, you are against it.
Terms and Conditions apply.
no.

it is completely unfair to grant someone a position based on their background alone.

Employers should have the right to employ the best person for the job and have the morality to employ a person fom a minority if they happen to be the best peron for the job.

that applies to jobs, uni places, whatever.
^ +1.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by cagnius
Clearly from your emotive script, you are against it.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Tory!
Quote by Jackolas
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Tory!

tory? like the people who were for Britain in the revolutionary war?
or is cagnius' real name tory?
affirmative action just gives white people another excuse to not like minorities, it's completely counter-productive.
Quote by deathbat831

Yeah sure, why not.
Quote by deathbat831
i got into it with my history teacher yesterday about affirmative action, if you dont know what this is, its basically where the give an oppurtunity to a minority just because they are a minority and not to the candidate who is most deserving or most qualified. what do you guys think about the subject? is it a good thing or a bad thing?

EDIT: i personally am against it. i think racism is racism either way. keeping white males out of jobs is discrimination. the teacher was saying that it is ok, because apparantly us white people are "holding all the cards" if im holding any f*cking cards id like to know what they are. im not rich, not even close. and hasnt this idiot ever heard of white trash?

lol, holding all the cards as in most employers or the people at the very top favor white folk.
Quote by deathbat831

Tory as in the Conservative Party (a political group)
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
^oh, yeah ok then f'sho. then im a tory. never heard the term before

Quote by vantage4
affirmative action just gives white people another excuse to not like minorities, it's completely counter-productive.

i have no problem with a minority having a high paying job and being successful or even if they beat me to a job. but thats just it, they have to beat me to the job. thats what america is about, best man for the job, or at least it used to be.

Quote by Archaon
lol, holding all the cards as in most employers or the people at the very top favor white folk.

maybe for some jobs. but im a teenager, and all the jobs at my disposal seem to be going to illegal immigrants
Looks like I have unleashed a band of tory boys with my original post in this thread.

Hooray!
you guys should see what its like here in south africa
we have programs like black economic empowerment and similar
and our would-be president decided the other day that only blacks could attend one of his press conferences, even the one indian guy left just cos he was disgusted
interesting considering S.A.'s history
I've heard of some minorities at some colleges having a lower minimum ACT score to get accepted. That is unfair and racist; there should be a minimum for everyone. I'm not a racist person, but I don't think things like black history month are fair; what about white history month? There are so many similar things that annoy me so much because they're supposed to be used to protect people against racism or whatever,r but they only help it.
Isn't affirmative action where if 2 candidates are equally qualified then the person from a minority is given an advantage? (or at least in theory)

while I can't agree with the concept in that form if you changed 'minority' to 'worse off social background' then I could agree with that. The person from a poorer background will generally have had to work harder to get to where they are compared to the people who have had access to good schools. But the flaw in that plan is that people assume minority=poorer social background and so you'd be in the same position as before.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I don't know what it's like in other countries, but here in the u.s affirmative action doesn't do a whole lot of good. Things as far as equality are getting to be fairly even keel, and all affirmative action does is imply that we are different, which propagates racism either way. Its an insult to many many minorities, ie "your not good enough to get this on your own", and a slap in the face to the many white who are just trying to get by as well.
just to see what would happen, while i was still in school several friends and i tried to go to the administration to set up a club for white males only. needless to say we were denied it VERY FAST! so we took the story to our local paper, because this same school/school district has clubs for minorities (several different ones for each race, as well as one for all races) and they have clubs for women. so the only group not allowed were white males. now i wouldn't have really started it, because it would be a pointless club, i just wanted to see what the reaction would be. needless to say, the paper said no way on the story because it would be seen as a "racist story" how sad is that????
I'm so sorry, excuse me for living,
I didn't know, didn't know your a psycho!
-Carolines Spine "Psycho"
I think minorites can be as racist as they want and not catch any flak. But as soon as a white person does something, they are dubbed a racist. Total BS!!!!! And the United Negro College fund.....BS.... Black History Month...........BS..........ahh it pisses me off soooo much.
I won't go into depth, because racism is one of those issues I get all RAGEy about.

****sux, and humans should be colourblind. Racism is racism, no matter who against; and white is a race too.
Quote by Randy_Rhoads44
just to see what would happen, while i was still in school several friends and i tried to go to the administration to set up a club for white males only. needless to say we were denied it VERY FAST! so we took the story to our local paper, because this same school/school district has clubs for minorities (several different ones for each race, as well as one for all races) and they have clubs for women. so the only group not allowed were white males. now i wouldn't have really started it, because it would be a pointless club, i just wanted to see what the reaction would be. needless to say, the paper said no way on the story because it would be seen as a "racist story" how sad is that????

Yup, being in the majority can suck.
Quote by Randy_Rhoads44

that is some serious bullsh*t man. every year some freshman try to start one. poor sobs, so naive.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
Isn't affirmative action where if 2 candidates are equally qualified then the person from a minority is given an advantage? (or at least in theory)

while I can't agree with the concept in that form if you changed 'minority' to 'worse off social background' then I could agree with that. The person from a poorer background will generally have had to work harder to get to where they are compared to the people who have had access to good schools. But the flaw in that plan is that people assume minority=poorer social background and so you'd be in the same position as before.

you have a good point. editing original post. i put it in yellow cuz you a lemon
ANYTHING that is racially exclusive is racist in and of itself. Dr. King never wanted Affirmative Action. I think he would be appalled at this today if he were still alive. He just wanted equality.
^i said the same thing to my teacher(he's white btw) and he told me that its ok to discriminate against a group of people if it "remedies a past wrongdoing". havent we been taught to believe that two wrongs dont make a right?
Quote by DanielQ
what about white history month?

White History month. Imagine it lmao!

"The white Europeans came over to the USA and slaughtered all the natives. Whilst shouting 'yay, white people win again.' The white Europeans decided they couldn't be bothered to run their own plantations so they bought and sold Africans and told them to do it. In century's toc ome these slaves would be freed,although it would take longer in the South as they're slightly backwards. To this day many white folk want to send these people back to 'Africa' despite the fact that white people brought them there in the first place.

Win."
I've been here since '04.

awww, and afirmative action soundes cool
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by rizo299
I hate the torys. A bunch of cenile old fools and young people who consider acting like an old man to be the most amazing thing in the world.

"Tories" and "Senile".

Education, education, education, eh?

Back on topic, it seems like a terrible idea on our end of it but to a minority applying for a job it'll seem like a fantastic idea, so it all comes down to interpretation. To be fair, it would be much better if tribunals that handled racial/sexist discrimination were given more power so they could pose a bigger threat to biased employees without being forced into positive discrimination.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by deathbat831

The right wing political party in Britain, possible equivalent to the Republicans, but I don't think they're close on policies, just because they lean to the Right.

I don't like affirmative action, it shouldn't be legislation for employers to be bigoted in favour of minorities; they should be able to look on merit. But obviously, that seems idealistic, and in today's world - where PC reigns supreme - that's very difficult to achieve - finding people who have no prejudices. I have huge amounts of prejudices, I hate vegetarians, fat and stupid people,for instance, but I really hope I should be able to base decisions on merit.

I think the Affirmative Action was introduced purely because Congress was given accusations of racism by the minorities; or out of fear of being called racist. But, instead of offering complete and unbiased equality, the favour is completely given to the people they're in fear of offending. It seems that today, the only people who won't be naturally advantaged by society are the ones who used to be advantaged - white, upper class, intelligent, rich, possibly Christian, straight, men.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by roythereaper
"Tories" and "Senile".

Education, education, education, eh?

Obviously a single rushed reply on a guitar based internet forum is indicative of the entire school system and my education.

**** you.
Quote by DanielQ
I'm not a racist person, but I don't think things like black history month are fair; what about white history month?.

White History Month is every month of the year apart from Black History Month, cretin.

Quote by freddaahh
It seems that today, the only people who won't be naturally advantaged by society are the ones who used to be advantaged - white, upper class, intelligent, rich, possibly Christian, straight, men.

Those poor WASPs!

Never mind that most positions of power are still held by white, upper class, intelligent, rich, possibly Christian, straight, men.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by rizo299
Obviously a single rushed reply on a guitar based internet forum is indicative of the entire school system and my education.

**** you.

Hey come on the school system and education can be really ****.
Quote by Jackolas
Hey come on the school system and education can be really ****.

It can be. But if that twat wants to use me as an example of it's state based on two spelling errors made in a rushed post then he can fuck off.
im black so YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY for affirmative action
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Quote by rizo299
It can be. But if that twat wants to use me as an example of it's state based on two spelling errors made in a rushed post then he can fuck off.

I didn't pick up on that, sorry.

I agree Rizo.
Page 1 of 2