sorry if this has already been posted (saw a guy with a similiar question) but ive just started to learn theroy again have a very very basic knowledge "grade 2" LOL

With the C Major scale im learnin all the possible positions then working through the others (will take ages i know) but hopefully by then i would have worked out how they are made up (already kinda know about the octaves).... but yeah cutting through all that...

Why is the first posistion played with an Open E when if you where to play it at different position lets say starting on the G you only play the 2 notes before moving onto the next string.

any help would be great =]
Im quite proud of that LOL

Quote by Unreal445
i found it funny that the pit reported it faster than sky news

Beneath The Fallen
^Yeah. if you play the same pattern, just up a few frets (not 12! that would be the octave!), you would be playing a different scale, not the one you want.
Quote by LeeSmellyFinger

With the C Major scale im learnin all the possible positions then working through the others (will take ages i know)

I'm curious. Why do people think simple memorization "takes ages"? The patterns
for the guitar are pretty visual. That makes them fairly easy to memorize.

If I took the 7 positions of a 3 note per string major scale fingering and even just
VERY conservatively memorized 1 position per day (3 or 4 is easily doable) that's
only a week (maybe 15 mins per day). Once you do this in 1 key, you're pretty much
set for all the others on the guitar.

I'm only asking because memorizing is the easy part. After that the real work can
begin. If you're daunted by just the memorizing, that could pose you some problems.
Quote by edg
I'm curious. Why do people think simple memorization "takes ages"? The patterns
for the guitar are pretty visual. That makes them fairly easy to memorize.

If I took the 7 positions of a 3 note per string major scale fingering and even just
VERY conservatively memorized 1 position per day (3 or 4 is easily doable) that's
only a week (maybe 15 mins per day). Once you do this in 1 key, you're pretty much
set for all the others on the guitar.

I'm only asking because memorizing is the easy part. After that the real work can
begin. If you're daunted by just the memorizing, that could pose you some problems.

I think the problem is that when you view Theory from the outside it can seem very intimidating and therefore people can easily be overwhelmed when trying to get into it. In hindsight, something as simple as memorization can seem much easier then it actually was due to the "rose coloured glasses" effect.
Well that's true, but the process of memorizing doesn't take all that long. If you
let everything overwhelm you its paralyzing and you'll never get anything done.
Take it in chunks. Memorizing the finger positions can initiallly be done in a few days.
If you stick with the practice you can ingrain it pretty well in a few weeks. Then,
you can move on to something else and come back to it.

Also realize that this memorization builds on itself. If, after you memorize the finger
positions, you then memorize 1 inversion of all the triads in the scale. That's
again a few days work, but you're also ingraining the scale even more -- you're
just looking at it differently.