Hey everyone,

I am Chris, an assistant editor at the magazine Premier Guitar , and I was hoping I could find some guitar players who own and use a "travel" guitar for an upcoming article. If you're willing to help us out, just answer these few simple questions and we'd really appreciate it!!

Also, check out our full sized issue online, at the above link completely FREE!!!

Do you own a traveler guitar? What was the impetus to buy? Which model(s) do you own? Has it been a reasonable/usable replacement for your normal guitars when you’re on the road?

Do you have to adapt your playing style on these guitars?

What’s the best part about your guitar? The worst?

Thanks again everyone!
I'm glad you're taking a look at this topic. I think most serious players have at least one guitar designated their "travel" guitar. This would be one that you don't worry so much about scratching, dropping, etc. My particular choice is the Washburn Rover. I also own a Johnson Trailblazer, but it is significantly inferior in quality and is therefore not used as often. Both of these are travel guitars and could easily fit within an aircraft on-board luggage space. The motivation to buy one of these convenient little guitars was to allow for practice at times and places where it wouldn't be practical to drag along a full-sized dreadnaught or advanced jumbo guitar. Typically I'll take mine to work to play on breaks or at lunch, to a doctor's appointment to get in a good couple of hours of practice while waiting for my turn, to the mall when my wife is shopping for clothing (I can sit in the car and play), to the park, etc. The beauty of these instruments is their portability. Another big plus is that they aren't really loud enough to bother anyone while you're playing. Because the Washburn Rover has a full-sized, 24-inch scale, fretboard (14 frets clear of the body), I have not had to adapt any aspect of my playing style. I am, primarily, an acoustic guitarist, so the whole concept of a small, convenient guitar works perfectly for me. The best part of owning a travel guitar, and specifically the Washburn Rover, is the convenience of being able to transport and use a well-made guitar almost anywhere. The only drawback is the quality of sound which, by the constraints of size, is compromised. Having said that, I don't mean to imply that the souind is unpleasant. It is merely different due to the reduced size of the guitar body. The Washburn Rover provides a warm, woody, tone which I find enchanting. I bought the instrument for convenience. The fact that it produces a pleasing sound from its dwarf body was an unexpected plus. The Rover includes a first-rate, semi-hard case that houses the guitar and its accessories in a form-fitted compartment with all accessories. I wouldn't be without the Washburn Rover now that I have owned one. It is as essential a piece of equipment as guitar strings. Since adding this dimension to my routine, my playing has improved dynamically. Best of luck with your new publication.
gjack316