Trying to perfect an 80's thrash tone on a Valve Jr......(well actually it's a Grainger but they are identical). Want to get that Metallica Kill Em All tone...

The amp has all the mods (inc. gain boost). It also has an attenuator so I can run the amp flat out all the time without deafening myself.

I've got a Bad Monkey overdrive and that is just wonderful on this amp.

I'm 80-90% there tone wise, but I'm still after a little more 'chug' and bite.....

Thinking I should possible try an EQ pedal, or maybe add a little distortion (Metal Muff maybe)?

What I don't wanna do is kill the sweet overdriven valve tone im currently getting....
Dude get an EQ pedal, it'll change your ****ing life man! THRASH IT THE **** UP!!!!!!!!
Damn it....

I recently traded EHX graphic-fuzz cos it was not good with old amp (Vox AD30VT-XL), guess that was a bad move then! (maybe not all bad cos i swapped for a high output hand wound humbucker that i've still not got round to installing)

Those MXR 10 band's look good, but they ain't cheap.

How dose the MXR 6 band, or Boss GE7 compare???

I see I can get a Behrminger one for less than 20quid, I take it they are as crap as the price tag suggests??
graphic EQs should be used for gigging only. They are used professionally to cut out unwanted feedbacking frequencies!!!! Maybe a 6 band or something with bass, low mid, mid, high mid, treble
Quote by fergus74
Damn it....

I recently traded EHX graphic-fuzz cos it was not good with old amp (Vox AD30VT-XL), guess that was a bad move then! (maybe not all bad cos i swapped for a high output hand wound humbucker that i've still not got round to installing)

Those MXR 10 band's look good, but they ain't cheap.

How dose the MXR 6 band, or Boss GE7 compare???

I see I can get a Behrminger one for less than 20quid, I take it they are as crap as the price tag suggests??

it will probably color the sound a bit(beyond it's obvious intended equing) but not sound too bad and give you a lot of control, but being behringer it will break down pretty quickly. I give the faders a few months before they're broken, and maybe a year before it just stops powering up.

If you need an eq pedal for the long haul anyway, just save up and get a decent one. If you're experimenting for the short run just to see if an eq will do what you want, go for the behringer. Keep in mind you can sell/trade good most effects pedals without a huge loss, this is not true of behringer pedals.
Quote by Varkunus
graphic EQs should be used for gigging only. They are used professionally to cut out unwanted feedbacking frequencies!!!! Maybe a 6 band or something with bass, low mid, mid, high mid, treble

A 6 band IS a graphic EQ - they're called graphic EQ's because of the sliders, it means you can literally see the EQ curve in "graph" form.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Varkunus

all EQ pedals i've ever seen are graphic, i don't think you know what you're talking about
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
no you can get ones which just split it. But GRAPHIC eqs should just be used to cut unwated feedback in the different sized rooms or venues
Quote by Varkunus
no you can get ones which just split it. But GRAPHIC eqs should just be used to cut unwated feedback in the different sized rooms or venues

A graphic eq is just any eq that consists of a bunch of faders each targeting a specific frequency range. This is opposed to an eq that just has a Bass, mid, and treble knob, or a parametric eq where you get to set the frequency range affected by a specific knob.

sometimes a graphic eq is rackmount, sometimes it's in a pedal, sometimes it's in an amp. it doesn't matter. Yes lots of people use rack mount (and some guitarists even pedal ) graphic eqs to cut feedback frequencies, but the exact same eqs can easily be used for good old fashioned tone shaping (and they are everyday by thousands and thousands of musicians).
Quote by steven seagull
A 6 band IS a graphic EQ - they're called graphic EQ's because of the sliders, it means you can literally see the EQ curve in "graph" form.

Uh huh. a graphic eq is an eq section with sliders, it doesn't specify anything about size, or number of sliders!

And I swear you'd use the EQ to compensate for room acoustics, and use this other gadget for the feedback thing (I've forgot what it's called, but it cuts only the frequency that feedbacks.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Varkunus

The name just refers to what they look like, it has nothing to with what you do with them. Those big 32 band rackmount ones are exactly the same, they just give you control over a lot more frequencies.

Quote by Welsh Guitar
Uh huh. a graphic eq is an eq section with sliders, it doesn't specify anything about size, or number of sliders!

And I swear you'd use the EQ to compensate for room acoustics, and use this other gadget for the feedback thing (I've forgot what it's called, but it cuts only the frequency that feedbacks.

Notch filter? Hi-pass filter? Parametric EQ...i dunno, I'm guessing really
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 29, 2008,
I'll be looking out for an EQ pedal then....

First stop e-bay. The only music shop near me only sells Behrminger kit at twice the price you would pay on the t'internet.

As long as it gives me more 'chug' I'll be more than happy.

Was also wondering about pedals such as the Metal Muff (for teh br00talz distortion) - would this kill the valve tone I love so much???
I want add, its going to be hard even with an EQ. An EQ won't change the fact it's a vintage voiced amp. Trust me, I've tried. The VJ is just not going to get that chug and bite.
Quote by fergus74
I'll be looking out for an EQ pedal then....

First stop e-bay. The only music shop near me only sells Behrminger kit at twice the price you would pay on the t'internet.

As long as it gives me more 'chug' I'll be more than happy.

Was also wondering about pedals such as the Metal Muff (for teh br00talz distortion) - would this kill the valve tone I love so much???

You'll have to try a MM yourself and see, it's very subjective.

I vote Dano Fish 'n Chips. Best EQ if you can't afford the MXR 10 band.
Aye, I just got a Fish & Chips and it works excellently! Great value and looks cool too as a plus...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Aye, I just got a Fish & Chips and it works excellently! Great value and looks cool too as a plus...

Excellently indeed!
CJ did you mod your VJ? If so what did you do to it?

I never thought I could get past classic rock with this amp, but with the OD I'm past hard rock and heading into thrash territory.

OK, so it's not the ideal amp for any kind of metal, but the tone is a damn sight better than my vox valvetronix.

It's never gonna be perfect, but a little more chug means I'll be happy and I can then sell my old amp, and spend that cash on more pedals....
I've modded mine loads, having had it on Marshall mods, Fender mods and Vox mods, the Marshall one with 100k R6 + R7 is nicest for Classic Rocky stuff.

If you wanna get some harder distortion out if it I recommend changing R8 + R9 to something like 20k to 33k.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'm happy with the distortion I get from the amp.

The attenuator is a great addition as I can run the thing flat out and find the bad monkey dose a brilliant job at pushing the gain even further...

All I need to make me completely happy is just a little bit more chug on plam mutes....

If I can't get it with this amp then so be it, but after playing a valve amp i can't see myself bothering with SS/modelling amps now, so any pedals that I accumulate will be used on and future valve amps i purchase....
i ve modded mine like crazy and i get a good classic rock at about noon, some od at about 9 o clock and its basically a fuzz pedal from 1:30 on, with a ts9 it does metal, metallica, van halen, all that stuff ( i really like it when its at about 3 o clock no ts9, its an amazing sound for blues rock)
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
I'm defiantly gonna get me an EQ pedal, but after listening to clips of the meta muff i'm very tempted indeed.....