I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, and I'm not really happy with my progress. To summarize my abilities, I play mostly rhythm and a tad bit of lead. When playing scales, the fastest I can "shred" is about 210 bpm playing quarter notes (yes, I know that's not fast).

Probably the "hardest" song I can play is "Are You Dead Yet" by Children of Bodom (only rhythm). I can play most mainstream songs pretty easily, you know, bust out a Rage Against the Machine tune or a Three Days Grace song I hear off the radio. But the kind of music I really want to play is metalcore and metal. I love the classical/technical influence and I strive to play that style of music. However, whenever I try to learn a really hard In Flames song or a really fast Megadeth riff (think "Rust in Peace") I get discouraged.

I think I'm just being a lazy pansy but I can't find the motivation to get better. Plus, I have plenty of distractions because I'm really into computers, software, hardware, and networking, so sometimes practicing guitar gets pushed down the list of priorities when I want to mess around with a new Linux distro, if you get what I'm saying.

Give me some tips, Ultimate Guitar.
well, how much do you play? like each day.
and also just keep at the scales, they will help your lead lots and rythm too,
Don't know what to say other than the only way you're going to get better is practicing. I know what you mean by loosing motivation I get that sometimes but helps me is playing something new that I have never played before. For example I play a lot of Tool, Metallica(have all the tab books) and one day I got some Black Sabbath tabs and the Stairway to Heaven tab. I sucked at playing these kind of styles but thats how I get motivated and kept playing them, slowly I got better and learned something new.
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature G-400
Diezel Herbert w/ Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133
Quote by string_of_death
I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, and I'm not really happy with my progress. To summarize my abilities, I play mostly rhythm and a tad bit of lead. When playing scales, the fastest I can "shred" is about 210 bpm playing quarter notes (yes, I know that's not fast).

Probably the "hardest" song I can play is "Are You Dead Yet" by Children of Bodom (only rhythm). I can play most mainstream songs pretty easily, you know, bust out a Rage Against the Machine tune or a Three Days Grace song I hear off the radio. But the kind of music I really want to play is metalcore and metal. I love the classical/technical influence and I strive to play that style of music. However, whenever I try to learn a really hard In Flames song or a really fast Megadeth riff (think "Rust in Peace") I get discouraged.

I think I'm just being a lazy pansy but I can't find the motivation to get better. Plus, I have plenty of distractions because I'm really into computers, software, hardware, and networking, so sometimes practicing guitar gets pushed down the list of priorities when I want to mess around with a new Linux distro, if you get what I'm saying.

Give me some tips, Ultimate Guitar.

I know what you mean dude about getting distracted. I am into the same kind of thing and I almost made the mistake of ordering about $800 worth of components to upgrade my computer a couple of days ago. Then I stopped and thought about it and came to the conclusion that guitar is more important to me right now. What helps me when I start to lose intrest is listening to songs that I really, really want to learn how to play. That always ignites the intrest again. I'm not saying that guitar should be your only hobby, just try to divide your time so that your guitar playing doesn't get snuffed out by your tinkering/modding. I don't know if I have helped, but this is what I have found to be effective when I get off track.
You're a more advance player than I. I'm currently learning my first solo (Iron Man) with the help of Guitar Pro. With Guitar Pro's built in training features that allows one to slow down and repeat sections, learning becomes fairly easy.
Just keep playing. Practice as much as you can. lol You sound like I used to be, I used to be really onto computers(programming mainly) was even thinking about doing it for a living, but then I decided to try for music(I'm not a '9 to 5' type guy). after I made that decision I started really learning everything.

Start slow for speed, speed can only come with time and patience. I would suggest learning some music theory, it will help a great deal with your lead playing, not really speed but in knowing things to play over certain things.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Techonology seems to puts us all in jeopardy of our love for music. Practice and stay more focused on your music. If anything, grab some tabs. If you want into the harder stuff, then tab is your best bet. They won't always be 100% accurate, but they can help you get on track.