Page 1 of 3
Bowling for Coumbine analyzes young Americas obsession with violence and firearms. I have been seeing alot of people on MySpace with guns aimed at the camera, or just in there hands. Does this concern anyone, and do you think it is further supporting the idea that America loves violence?

Gun Murders Per Year

Germany (381), total pop. 82,210,000
France (255), total pop. 64,473,140
Canada (165), total pop. 33,195,000
the UK (68), total pop. 60,587,300
and Japan (only 39 gun murders, with a population of 120 million people) - total pop. 127,790,000
The United States of America (11,127 per year) - total pop. 303,528,492

Percentage
Germany 0.00046
France 0.00040
Canada 0.00050
UK 0.00011
Japan 0.00003
USA 0.00367

368,255,440 people and only 908 gun murders per year for those countries combined.

Scary facts there.
Discuss.
Alice in Chains, Days of the New, Tool, and The Meat Puppets... these are a few of my favorite things
Last edited by NobNob at Feb 29, 2008,
there was a gun threat at my school today.

apparently its the new cool thing to do.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Bowling for Columbine is more about guns in general not just youth isn't it?

I saw it about a year ago.

There should be a lot more restrictions on guns. It's getting ridiculous with all the school shootings in the past couple months.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
What does Bowling for Columbine have to do with anything?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Atually your mistaken......thats just how many people Chuck Norris kills a year in each country with a swift roundhouse kick to the face
Totally agree that there should be more gun limitations. I understand the right to own a shotgun or small rifle for hunting, but no one needs a semi-automatic 9mm.
Alice in Chains, Days of the New, Tool, and The Meat Puppets... these are a few of my favorite things
just about everybody in the world uses violence. those kids are just trying to look cool. hello gun control fight. hello public media fight.

flame on
I think that in order to get a more accurate numbers you have to use percentage since there are obviously more people in the US.
Quote by Guitarmike123
I think that in order to get a more accurate numbers you have to use percentage since there are obviously more people in the US.

+1
Nope, no sig here.
John Wayne's to blame.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
have u watched the movie? there is the answer

unfortunatly so many people here think it would be "cool" simply to have the power to take a life if they wanted AKA owning a gun, i find it disgusting and appalling that people place absolutly no value on life anymore, as long as its not theirs

friend: "i think i wanna get a gun someday"
me: "why"
friend: "so i can shoot it"
me: "why do u want to own the potential to take a life?"
friend: "itd be cool"
me: *stops talking witha disgusted look on face*
Boo guns! Yay gun control! Boo mindless "patriotism" American civil religion arms industry providing jobs so did slavery self defense when there is no plausible self defense possibility arguments!

And now I don't have to visit the thread again.

For the record America's gun deaths stats can be a little misleading- there are lots of areas with very few gun crimes and then hotspots with a helluva lot, it's not like it's spread over the whole of America.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Last edited by Hobolad at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by Ichimaru
What does Bowling for Columbine have to do with anything?

brillian Michael Moore film about gun control

the mans documentries are genious

my favorite: sicko<------ a look at the twisted american healthcare system, and get this it actually shows the good side to canadians! AND the french!! (i hate how people here in the US mock both of those countries and their people, because frankly there just as good if not a better place to live)
Quote by Guitarmike123

There is the total population up.
Quote by freedoms_stain
*pop*

That was the sound of the can of worms you just opened.

good, these are the types of threads i come to the pit for, actual intelligent discussions
Quote by Hobolad
Boo guns! Yay gun control! Boo mindless "patriotism" American civil religion arms industry providing jobs so did slavery self defense when there is no plausible self defense possibility arguments!

Allow me to translate this. It says, "Boo proper punctuation, and boo civil liberties granted by the constitution".
Quote by nt1440
good, these are the types of threads i come to the pit for, actual intelligent discussions

This one has been done to death recently.

I know, I was there telling Americans that guns are bad.

They don't believe me though, and some of their statistical evidence and ability to actually interpret it is poor.
Quote by denizenz
Allow me to translate this. It says, "Boo proper punctuation, and boo civil liberties granted by the constitution".

may i remind you that that document was written when native americans and blacks were considered no greater then animals.
Gun control should be tighter in the US, if legal at all. There's no dispute about this.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
fantastic documentary

and just do what chris rock said in it and charge millions for bullets so people will think twice about using them
Quote by denizenz

ooh i knew ud be here somehow

i am anti gun, but denizenz did u catch the neat little trap the media has lulled u into that u reinforced in ur post?

(not mean spirited, im just trying to show something)
In my city, in some parts anyway u almost need a gun. and stupid european people can shut up because we have bad places in america and by bad places i dont mean places full of drunks and homeless people because thats almost everywhere in america.
Quote by timboslice05
In my city, in some parts anyway u almost need a gun. and stupid european people can shut up because we have bad places in america and by bad places i dont mean places full of drunks and homeless people because thats almost everywhere in america.

What do you mean bad places? I guarantee my home town is as bad as any 'bad place' in America.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by timboslice05

and whats a major factor that makes them bad places? .....could it be gun violence??
Quote by Guitarmike123

Okay.

These percentages will be the amount of the population killed by gun crime per year. So they will be incredibly small. But still, here goes, in the same order as the threadstarter:

Germany: 0.0005%
France: 0.0004%
Canada: 0.0005%
UK: 0.0001%
Japan: 0.00003%

Here's the nub of the matter:

United States Of America (God bless it...): 0.004%.

So even the percentages show that it's significantly higher than the others =) ten times as high as the closest follower, in fact. And Japan are just lovely =)
www.myspace.com/stcircusthemighty

Check it out. If you like what you hear, friend me.

Quote by Rikifield
Nice acoustic man! And your voice is melting with the acoustic sound...
Last edited by Circus at Feb 29, 2008,
Ok, so we have more gun killings. We have less strict gun laws. Most of those are in big cities where gangs and the like exist. It's not like Americans in general have no respect for life. Look at the numbers...11,000 out of 300,000,000. That's not very many, honestly, and that doesn't even take serial killers into account. Yes, 11,000 is too many, but it doesn't define america in the least.

Also keep in mind that this doesn't take into account how efficient the individual countries are at getting these reported.
Nope, no sig here.
I believe Ameica needs to start up a civel militia.

Anyone who wants to own a gun has to join the militia and be properly trained in firearm use (so that any claims of self defense can actually be justifiesd)

Things like buying guns at gun shows and private sales need to be banned because they circumvent existing gun laws.

There should be a limit to the number and type of guns someone can legally own.

e.g. 2 handguns below a certain caliber, 2 shotguns, 2 rifles or whatever. (so 6 total)

If you want a new gun you have to sell an older one (assuming you've hit your limit)
Quote by Mutant Corn
Ok, so we have more gun killings. We have less strict gun laws. Most of those are in big cities where gangs and the like exist. It's not like Americans in general have no respect for life. Look at the numbers...11,000 out of 300,000,000. That's not very many, honestly, and that doesn't even take serial killers into account. Yes, 11,000 is too many, but it doesn't define america in the least.

We're not trying to define America here, just re-inforcing the point that 11,000 deaths is 11,000 deaths too many. [/cliché] America should be fighting the same war the UK is with knife crime.

Quote by Pinky19
Quote by Circus
Okay.

These percentages will be the amount of the population killed by gun crime per year. So they will be incredibly small. But still, here goes, in the same order as the threadstarter:

So even the percentages show that it's significantly higher than the others =)

And how many is that per 100 people?
Quote by nt1440
and whats a major factor that makes them bad places? .....could it be gun violence??

we have lots and lots of drugs like crack and stuff and we have rapists and yes of course gun violence but also regular violence and poverty which leads to robberies and muggings and we also have kidnappings.
Quote by Circus
Okay.

So even the percentages show that it's significantly higher than the others =) ten times as high as the closest follower, in fact. And Japan are just lovely =)

I would have calculated it myself, but I failed in maths...
Quote by Mutant Corn

Also keep in mind that this doesn't take into account how efficient the individual countries are at getting these reported.

its not that americans all have guns, the VAST majority dont, but take a look at the general america's view on guns, especially americas future the youth

for some reason we still view guns as "cool" and that is a BIG part of the problem
Quote by timboslice05
we have lots and lots of drugs like crack and stuff and we have rapists and yes of course gun violence but also regular violence and poverty which leads to robberies and muggings and we also have kidnappings.

And you think no other countries in the world have slums?

Naive.
Quote by freedoms_stain
And you think no other countries in the world have slums?

Naive.

France probably has harder slums than the states.
Page 1 of 3