Page 1 of 2
Hello,

I currently play in a rock band, but I don't like the repetitiveness of it and the lack of solo's and intuitive playing and improvisation.

I am putting together a blues trio that will perform while I am in college to make some money, and am looking to get rid of my big old JCM900 and get a nice combo to play some blues.

I want it to be giggable and loud enough to crank, but not huge. I will be playing blues and blues rock. My main influences are Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and Mark Knopfler. Look in my sig to see what I play.

I love my JCM900, but I just can't get the tones I want out of it... . It lacks that great tube tone that I am chasing, it's just mediocre.

I have so far been looking at:
Fender Twin Reverb (used to have one, but it had some problems so I sold it)
Fender Deluxe Reverb (22 watts enough?)
Vox AC30CC2 (will this do blues nicely?)
Marshall Bluesbreaker (will it sound like the 900?)
Mesa/Boogie Stilleto (only played it in GC)

Anything else I can look at? All these amps (besides the Mesa and Bluesbreaker) go for a pretty good price used, and I want to stay under $1000 if possible, and I do not mind buying used one bit, as long as it works.

Also, I am getting a big muff pedal and English Muff'n, will this drive a completely clean amp like the twin to a nice OD if I do some more rock stuff? Thanks in advance.
High as tits
Blues Jr. Traynor YCV 40 Fender Blues Devlille

the blues breaker would be amazing for blues.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Do you want British or American tone? Any effects (like reverb)? How much headroom?
All of those will do very nicely, with the possible exception of the Stiletto. I didn't find a whole lot of bluesy (or clean) tone in that one, but if you did, cool.
The 22 watts of deluxe reverb will be plenty. They throw sound pretty well. The vox will do blues nicely. The bluesbreaker will not sound anything like the 900. Completely different animals. It has a clean tone, for one.
The big muff won't help you at all with a bluesy tone, but the english muff'n might if you set it properly. You might want to get the amp first and then wait on the pedals. You might not need the muff'n if you get the vox or the bluesbreaker.
Quote by Bostonrocks
Blues Jr. Traynor YCV 40 Fender Blues Devlille

the blues breaker would be amazing for blues.

I am not interested in any of those amps, thank you for the suggestions though .
Quote by mr_hankey
Do you want British or American tone? Any effects (like reverb)? How much headroom?

This is difficult. I like both british and american tone. I would prefer british, but the american cleans are so nice too. Effects in the amp are fine, but I don't need anything besides reverb. Headroom...eh...enough to be able to play clean at a higher volume, with some break-up, would like two channels. If not then breaking up when cranked.
Quote by Roc8995
All of those will do very nicely, with the possible exception of the Stiletto. I didn't find a whole lot of bluesy (or clean) tone in that one, but if you did, cool.
The 22 watts of deluxe reverb will be plenty. They throw sound pretty well. The vox will do blues nicely. The bluesbreaker will not sound anything like the 900. Completely different animals. It has a clean tone, for one.
The big muff won't help you at all with a bluesy tone, but the english muff'n might if you set it properly. You might want to get the amp first and then wait on the pedals. You might not need the muff'n if you get the vox or the bluesbreaker.

I have only played the Stiletto in GC at low volumes. Sounded nice though. I don't want the Big Muff for blues, it's in case I do some Jimi stuff or some rock, I stated that in my post . I have played the bluesbreaker but it's a bit expensive, and it didn't break up much. I already have a TS808 for some OD for my blues sound.
High as tits
If you dont mind mic'ing the amp up then a Premier amp would be perfect for you. They were made in the 50s n 60s but only go up to about 15w on avg. (mine is 10 but it gets about as loud as my Fender Hot Rod does...) but ive heard of 30watters floating around out there. They run from about $100-$300 on ebay (I got mine for $30 from a friend). If you want I can upload a clip of my Premier Twin-8.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Last edited by Ranger01 at Feb 29, 2008,
Is the premier Tube?

Also, to get an idea of the tone I am chasing, I have listed some songs:

Rambling On My Mind (Live) - Off of Eric Clapton Story CD
Crossroads - eric, solo section
Red House - Jimi
Brothers in Arms - Mark Knopfler

I like that crunch in there, but I also want a nice clean sound.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Is the premier Tube?

Also, to get an idea of the tone I am chasing, I have listed some songs:

Rambling On My Mind (Live) - Off of Eric Clapton Story CD
Crossroads - eric, solo section
Red House - Jimi
Brothers in Arms - Mark Knopfler

I like that crunch in there, but I also want a nice clean sound.

The Premier is all tube (i think even the rectifier) and it can get those tones easily.
Its clean is just amazing, and it will crunch up at the right settings (volume all the way up.)

I can upload some clips if youd like.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Last edited by Ranger01 at Feb 29, 2008,
I would probably get an AC30 with Alnico Blue speakers because that is just an amazing setup. I wouldn't get the big muff for Jimi sounds though. Something like a Fuzz Faze clone would work better. The big muff is too heavy IMO for that kind of stuff.

Edit: If you go with the AC30, get a new rectfier tube ASAP because the stock one isn't good and can cause the amp to catch fire I have heard.
It would be either the Vox or the Bluesbreaker if i was in your position, and IMO the big muff is a bit too modern sounding for Hendrix stuff, maybe look into a Fuzz Face clone or maybe a MJM London Fuzz?
POST FINDER
Quote by Roc8995
What about a bassman?

Never played one, never heard one. What artists have used them so I can get a taste of what they sound like.
Quote by Ranger01
The Premier is all tube (i think even the rectifier) and it can get those tones easily.
Its clean is just amazing, and it will crunch up at the right settings (volume all the way up.)
I can upload some clips if youd like.

That's alright, you don't have to record clips for me, thank you though. Where can I find one?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would probably get an AC30 with Alnico Blue speakers because that is just an amazing setup. I wouldn't get the big muff for Jimi sounds though. Something like a Fuzz Faze clone would work better. The big muff is too heavy IMO for that kind of stuff.
Edit: If you go with the AC30, get a new rectfier tube ASAP because the stock one isn't good and can cause the amp to catch fire I have heard.

I love the AC30's sound, I am just not sure if it can do blues, you know?
Quote by mattreid222
It would be either the Vox or the Bluesbreaker if i was in your position, and IMO the big muff is a bit too modern sounding for Hendrix stuff, maybe look into a Fuzz Face clone or maybe a MJM London Fuzz?

Never heard of MJM, are they on Musiciansfriend?
High as tits
Quote by Roc8995
What about a bassman?

+1

The prefect mix between the British and American sound.

Buddy Guy and Robert Cray use them; SRV's 'Family Style' album was recorded with them. That's all I can some up with right now.

(This is about the tweed Bassman, which has been reissued).

Listen to Rory Gallagher for the AC30 sound.
I was looking into the YCV40, but there is no way I can play one before I buy it, which I don't like at all. I have never seen one before in any of my local shops or GC.
High as tits
I think the bassman is one of the best suggestions so far.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Bassman or the Deluxe Reverb. When you crank the Deluxe Reverb up some, it gets really loud, but also sounds so good.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Most of the amps mentioned so far will most likely do. The Fender bassman is definitely a good for blues, but lacks a reverb tank. The Super Reverb is a great alternative but pricey if you could find one. I had two of them but could never use them unfortunately, they're just so loud for clubs (small) that you usually play blues in. I myself have use a Blackface Deluxe Reverb that I've had for 20 years! that amp has never failed me! I just picked up a re-issue version of and it sounds pretty close to my 67. I run Celstion V30 in them for that mid punch.
22 watts will blow your mind, if it's not enough-get another one and go stereo, you believe the sound! Any Fender amp would be great for blues (tube amp) especially the older stuff.

I've owned a JCM 900, They have a certain sound that wouldn't be good for Blues. Keep the cab though, A Marshall Blues Breaker is another killer amp, never owned one but have used them and always liked them. A re-issue 1957 Head by Marshall would be good for rockin' blues ala Jimi Hendrix, Cream etc...
I really wish I could get the bluesbreaker, it's like the best of both worlds. The JCM900 just doesn't have the tone I want.
High as tits
Quote by forsaknazrael
Who needs headroom for screamin' blues grit?

Haha . I won't be playing screamin' blues 24/7 though. I also like to serenade some grandmothers in the audience with some Wonderful Tonight or Romeo and Juliet .
High as tits
Ideally I would like a Soldano SLO, but they are mad expensive...and I wouldn't be gaining on portability.

Who uses Rivera amps? I have heard of them, but never heard them.
High as tits
My choice for that would be the Deluxe Reverb. gorgeous tone, perfect volume for blues breakup tones and it breaks up beautifully.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
My choice for that would be the Deluxe Reverb. gorgeous tone, perfect volume for blues breakup tones and it breaks up beautifully.

i heard the DR's breakup is a bit nasty compared to, say a bassman...

that it's good for clean, but not so for OD. just hearsay though.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 1, 2008,
of course it has headroom.

it's 30 watts tube goddamnit.

out of the amps you mentioned, i'd definitely get the bluesbreaker.
all those amps (except the mesa, i don't know anything about it ) are good for blues, but not really fantastic for rock. the BB is great for both, and will come very close to Clapton's Cream sound.
and it has good cleans.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 1, 2008,
How much is the blues Breaker?? Like I stated previously, Keep the cab and consider a Plexi reissue (1959). With the right pedals, you could make that do anything! You find them used on ebay quite often.
I found a BluesBreaker in good condition used for about £800 in a shop not long ago
POST FINDER
the Fender Blues Deluxe is nice.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
ebay has some nice clones on there for under 1K and some these guys are better than the orig. amps!!
Quote by The red Strat.
i heard the DR's breakup is a bit nasty compared to, say a bassman...

that it's good for clean, but not so for OD. just hearsay though.

I don't really like the DR. They're too bright for my taste. I've tried the reissue and a '67; both very similar.
Page 1 of 2