Well to get that violin type sound, you do volume swells. So my question is how low should the sound be when i swell it? Like turn my knob down to 0 and then back up, or something in a mid-range. Right now I have better luck with it at around 4-5, though I can't really play anything fast, and it still doesn't sound quite the way I wanted, but I think even this volume is a bit low. Any advice, thoughts, etc. Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Blues Jr.
i think it depends on your amp. if you turn the knob down to 0 and pick it soft on a weak amp you won't hear it that good. if you have a good amp it should be just fine. and if you are having trouble with the knob and picking at the same time you should buy an effect pedal where you can change the 'wah-wah' in to the volume and just press it down to increase your volume.
Quote by toine
and if you are having trouble with the knob and picking at the same time you should buy an effect pedal where you can change the 'wah-wah' in to the volume and just press it down to increase your volume.

That's the easy way out .
Gear:
Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by toine
i think it depends on your amp. if you turn the knob down to 0 and pick it soft on a weak amp you won't hear it that good. if you have a good amp it should be just fine. and if you are having trouble with the knob and picking at the same time you should buy an effect pedal where you can change the 'wah-wah' in to the volume and just press it down to increase your volume.

It's called a volume pedal. There are also pedals available that automatically do volume swells, but I don't know if they work well or not.
Well aside from volume pedals and such that do the effect for you. Advice for doing it the way I asked would be plenty helpful.
Gear:
Fender Blues Jr.
there is an effect called "reverse" that always reminds me of a violin. it might be what you're looking for
Use a delay with around 300ms and a pretty high number of repeats.

I usually drop my volume on my guitar to 0 and use my pinky while I'm picking and go from there. Takes a little effort to get it on time since you've gotta be ahead of what your playing by a really small amount.

I use a strat so I'm not sure how that would work out on other guitars with the knobs in different places, if thats a no go with your guitar go look at some volume pedals.
I believe Boss's Slow Gear Pedal does the volume swells based on your attack and picking dynamics and whatnot.

Maybe give that a try?
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by goulde shaw
Well aside from volume pedals and such that do the effect for you. Advice for doing it the way I asked would be plenty helpful.
oh, a wise guy eh? I would recommend fx as I actually use this sound a lot(yes I'm a tacky fvck) - BUT, you should use your pinky for the volume for a little better speed. But I can never get enough control personally with my little finger. Remember to only raise the volume to where you can abruptly cut down at the top of the swell. So I agree with you in saying 4-7 is the max. You should think about raising your amp's volume to compensate. I also recommend not going all the way down to zero. Makes your swells less choppy.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
he's asking about doing it without pedals

you'd have to keep your picking hand pinky curled around the volume knob, and practice being able to pick and roll simultaneously, so that its more comfortable when you just do rolls

kind of like picking while holding the whammy bar
i have a 'white guitar'