ello, been lurking for a bit and decided to register.

been playing 8ish months on a hobo bass (squire affinity) and have been interested in getting a distortion/overdrive pedal.

its either a Boss ODB-3 or a Boss DS-1

is there extra money worth what the odb will give me over the ds-1?
Odb-3 >>>> Ds-1.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
However, the OBD3 is still pretty naff. Honestly, I wouldn't get it if I had the choice again. It sounds cool at the start, but it is impossible to get a really good tone out of it. Just a fair few ok ones.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i think the odb3 is for bass....well i kno it is :p

and the other one is probably guitar....so if its like any kind of other guitar dist on bass it will cut the **** out of your low end

ask the fitz about big muff on bass.....i dare ya

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
The ODB-3 sounds pretty mediocre. I think the Digitech Bass Driver or the Ibanez PD-7 are better pedals, but for an overdrive the Fulltone Bass Driver is highly recommended, and the EBS Multidrive isn't bad either.

I really believe that an overdrive is much more versatile and better sounding than distortion.
Quote by runningline
are the ones you just mentioned in the same price range as the Boss ones?

The Fulltone is much more (about $180, and cheapest in UK at around £100 shipped in from the states) but is so much better. I own both, and since 15mins of A/Bing the 2, I haven't touched the BOSS.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
$180 seems a little out of my current price range, would the odb3 really be that bad of an option?
Quote by runningline
$180 seems a little out of my current price range, would the odb3 really be that bad of an option?

Look at it like this. Do you want to buy a pedal now that you probably won't find good enough a while down the road and end up not using and getting a Fulltone instead?

It's not a bad option. But it's by no means great. Have you tried it out yet?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I like the ODB-3, ok, like most/all Bosses it colours your tone, but there's quite a nice amount of tonal variety/sounds you can get out of it

I had one, and it got battered/ baterry compartment somehow got mangled,so I traded it in, but missed it to buggery, so my gf's dad bought me another for my bday

it's also a good boost, cut the balance, turn up the gain, EQ it to how you want,and BAM, you cut through the mix like Fitz cuts through n00bs (figuratively of course, though maybe with that OzzyPossum guy, it should be arranged )
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by runningline

In my opinion, yes. I gets a wide variety of sounds, someofwhich are pretty extreme. But with no amount of tweeking can you get a sound you will like for more than 5 mins. It just doesn't sound good. It sounds decidedly 'OK, but...' if you get what I mean.

As said above, if you enjoy using distortion, you will most probably end up getting a better one later down the line, as I did.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I've been digging through a bunch of OD pedals the past few months, I think I've tried almost every one mentioned in this thread.

I currently own the Boss ODB, the Ibanez Phathead, and the Fulltone Bassdrive, and IMO, while it isn't the most versatile or adjustable of the three, the Ibanez is by far the better sounding of the three pedals.

To me, the ODB sounded more like a fuzzy guitar pedal than anything else. And I just can't get a satisfactory tone out of the Bassdrive, it suffers from the same fuzzy-distortion type sound. The tone I was looking for is a Overdriven SVT-ish sound. The Ibanez can't get that OK but not great, I'm hoping to trade the Fulltone for a Sansamp Driver soon to see how that sounds.
Quote by BlueShox
To me, the ODB sounded more like a fuzzy guitar pedal than anything else. And I just can't get a satisfactory tone out of the Bassdrive, it suffers from the same fuzzy-distortion type sound. The tone I was looking for is a Overdriven SVT-ish sound. The Ibanez can't get that OK but not great, I'm hoping to trade the Fulltone for a Sansamp Driver soon to see how that sounds.

If this is the case, you are doing it wrong. The Fulltone was made to sound like an overdriven tube preamp. And it most certainly isn't fuzzy unless I puposely try to make it fuzzy, and even then it's definately more overdrive...

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ok, some good things to know. thanks.

if it helps, im going for a DFA79 tone, and one that will let me mess around a bit. but i think ill go with whatever will last me the longest once i try them out.
Quote by runningline

if it helps, im going for a DFA79 tone, and one that will let me mess around a bit. but i think ill go with whatever will last me the longest once i try them out.

I beleive he overdrives his amp to get his distortion, no pedals.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
If this is the case, you are doing it wrong. The Fulltone was made to sound like an overdriven tube preamp. And it most certainly isn't fuzzy unless I puposely try to make it fuzzy, and even then it's definately more overdrive...

IMO the Sansamp does a much better job of imitating it, it's not like the Fulltone is terrible and such, it's just not what I had hoped it to be.

To the user looking for the DFA tone, I would suggest the Fulltone for something like that.
Quote by runningline

In addition to a nice overdrive pedal, you should get a chorus pedal. I believe JFK leaves a chorus on to get his tone... if you listen carefully it's pretty chorusd.
Quote by Charlatan_001
In addition to a nice overdrive pedal, you should get a chorus pedal. I believe JFK leaves a chorus on to get his tone... if you listen carefully it's pretty chorusd.

+1 I'm almost sure of it
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Ah well you want something completely different if you're after JFK's tone - you don't want a tubey sounding distortion at all - you want the most transistor sounding one you can find and put a chorus pedal in front of it.
Quote by BlueShox
IMO the Sansamp does a much better job of imitating it, it's not like the Fulltone is terrible and such, it's just not what I had hoped it to be.

To the user looking for the DFA tone, I would suggest the Fulltone for something like that.

What mode have you put your Fulltone on? If I put mine on comp-cut with the tone and overdrive at about 2 o'clock (no boost), I can get a very convincing SVT sound.

I will give you that it doesn't sound like the SanSamp does though, they're both very different sounding pedals.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
awesome guys, thanks so much for the help. its very appreciated

today ill most likely get down to a shop where i can try all the options listed here. again thanks