I just started up my laptop with Windows Vista on it, and the three icons that are usually in the corner (volume, internet connection status, and battery usage) are missing.

Is there any way to get them back? Or do I just have to restart the computer again?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']In b4 vista sucks. Just restart.
I've restarted twice, once it froze, and once it said, all at the same time, "Google Desktop has caused a problem," "MySpace IM has caused a problem," "Windows Sidebar has caused a problem," "AIM has caused a problem," "Windows has encountered a problem and will now shut down."
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I've restarted twice, once it froze, and once it said, all at the same time, "Google Desktop has caused a problem," "MySpace IM has caused a problem," "Windows Sidebar has caused a problem," "AIM has caused a problem," "Windows has encountered a problem and will now shut down."

I honestly dont blame your computer for shutting down and not working with all that junk on there. chances are the icons became hidden somehow. Right click the taskbar, go to properties and its in there somewhere.
I hope you figure it out PlayMadness

But why must Microsoft release faulty software all the time now?...
Get rid of Google, Google Toolbar/Desktop & Vista are not friends.

I would advise uninstalling all of the softwares mentioned. Check taskbar properties for hidden system tray icons. Hard reboot and see if any changes.

May need system restore to a time when you know it was OK, you can add back the software one at a time if you want. Doing it this way can identify the specific problem.

EDIT:
Quote by Pat McRotch
I hope you figure it out PlayMadness

But why must Microsoft release faulty software all the time now?...

This is quite clearly a software conflict which is indicitive to ANY OS. And any software is flawed.

EDIT2:

Also http://www.winvistaclub.com/t43.html might be worth a try. Backup though.
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Last edited by JEEtoP at Feb 29, 2008,
heres what Id do: throw it out the window and buy a Mac

but in all seriousness, system restore looks like a pretty good option for you, especially if you dont know all the tips and tricks of enabling and disabling programs, telling it which ones should boot up, and all that.
Quote by JEEtoP
Get rid of Google, Google Toolbar/Desktop & Vista are not friends.

I would advise uninstalling all of the softwares mentioned. Check taskbar properties for hidden system tray icons. Hard reboot and see if any changes.

May need system restore to a time when you know it was OK, you can add back the software one at a time if you want. Doing it this way can identify the specific problem.

EDIT:

This is quite clearly a software conflict which is indicitive to ANY OS. And any software is flawed.

EDIT2:

Also http://www.winvistaclub.com/t43.html might be worth a try. Backup though.

I understand the overall problem here...but I was speaking on behalf of the other 6 threads created in the past few hours about Vista problems...and there have been many more....
Quote by Dirge Humani
How clever.

How pointless.

JEEtoP is right. Best way to go about this. And yeah google toolbar sucks anyway, it's a spyware loophole to your system. Just set your home page to 'open new tab + homepage', just as quick.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Quote by The Hurt Within
How pointless.

JEEtoP is right. Best way to go about this. And yeah google toolbar sucks anyway, it's a spyware loophole to your system. Just set your home page to 'open new tab + homepage', just as quick.

Speaketh' the truth.

The Hurt Within & JEEtoP dominating yet another PC thread. Hi5
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
I opened the properties for my desktop, and where it shows the option boxes for volume, network, and power, they're all grayed out, and I'm not allowed to click on them...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by mcg1sean
that means you arent logged in as an admin....which isnt right if youre the primary owner of the computer...

I'm the only one who uses this computer, my login is the only one...

Quote by Masonpwiley
Install XP.

GTFO!
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
I think I know the answer to this one- your using windows vista. get rid of that nasty little virus-like scum and your computer will work just fine.

My computer suffers from the same setback (vista). I think microsoft has actually set up a website where you can "downgrade" from vista to XP for free.

of course, the long term fix all solution would just be to get a mac....
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
I think microsoft has actually set up a website where you can "downgrade" from vista to XP for free.

Sorry...but that is a ragingly false statement. Such a thing does not exist unless by "free" you mean illegally downloading it and by "Microsoft" you mean The Pirate Bay... Youre stuck buying either the retail version of XP (bout $180) or the OEM version ($89.99) but then youre left with a whole bunch of other things you have to deal with hardware wise. It is doable. Ive never done it myself but all the drivers exist for XP and I know the procedure (mostly) on how to do it if you want to know.
Ugh, I'm tired of people ****ting on Vista so much. It's ridiculous. Sure it's not perfect, but no system is, and it's a helluva lot more solid than when it came out.

I could go on for a while providing arguments, but everyone's heard it before. But as a final point, I'd like to say, although the people at Microsoft definitely aren't angels, I like them a hell of a lot more than I like the people at Apple. I mean, come on, I can not stand Steve Jobs.

Sorry I can't help you with your problem threadstarter, but system restore seems like a good idea. FIRST try uninstalling all those programs it said caused problems, and just make sure there's nothing running on your computer that could cause it to automatically remove those things. I'm not sure how that would happen, but you never know...
It's the first time any of those "problem" boxes have ever come up, and it doesn't happen anymore...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
It's the first time any of those "problem" boxes have ever come up, and it doesn't happen anymore...

Maybe you should try checking the Windows help site or a FAQ section? I've never heard of something like this before, so I don't really know what to tell you.

If the check boxes are grayed out, it usually says why. If you can figure out why those boxes are not click-able, problem solved.
To the TS:

Remove any garbage software that is on the computer that you dont need. Better yet, completely restore your computer back to factory defaults (hopefully you remembered to make those recovery discs!) (remember to back up first!!) and then proceed with removing all of the junk that came on it and see if that works. If not, well then either deal with the problems of Vista, or get a new OS.

A warning...this is just because Im bored and have nothing else better to do

1)
Ugh, I'm tired of people ****ting on Vista so much

There is a reason that people do it. Its Microsoft's fault because they released it before it was even done so that they could compete with Apple's release of OS X Leopard. Even MS has admitted that Vista is essentially the largest flop since Windows ME (yes I think? either that or Win2K) and ya know what? Theyve got "Windows 7" already in the making with a new kernel even before they have released the first service pack for Vista. So yes, the majority of the people hate Vista, and a very few (like yourself) can tolerate it. Its a matter of opinion that everyone is entitled to.

2)
although the people at Microsoft definitely aren't angels, I like them a hell of a lot more than I like the people at Apple

Have you ever had to deal with Apple's customer service?

3)
I can not stand Steve Jobs.

ok...now here is something that I can partially agree with you on. most people dont like him, they just like the amazing products that he *creates*
Quote by mcg1sean
To the TS:

Remove any garbage software that is on the computer that you dont need. Better yet, completely restore your computer back to factory defaults (hopefully you remembered to make those recovery discs!) (remember to back up first!!) and then proceed with removing all of the junk that came on it and see if that works. If not, well then either deal with the problems of Vista, or get a new OS.

It is at factory defaults... I've changed nothing other than downloading MySpace IM and FireFox...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by mcg1sean
To the TS:

A warning...this is just because Im bored and have nothing else better to do

1)
There is a reason that people do it. Its Microsoft's fault because they released it before it was even done so that they could compete with Apple's release of OS X Leopard. Even MS has admitted that Vista is essentially the largest flop since Windows ME (yes I think? either that or Win2K) and ya know what? Theyve got "Windows 7" already in the making with a new kernel even before they have released the first service pack for Vista. So yes, the majority of the people hate Vista, and a very few (like yourself) can tolerate it. Its a matter of opinion that everyone is entitled to.

2)
Have you ever had to deal with Apple's customer service?

3)
ok...now here is something that I can partially agree with you on. most people dont like him, they just like the amazing products that he *creates*

Fair enough. I can understand the arguments. But yes, I have had to deal with Apple's customer service. The first time was with an older iPod, where the warrenty had expired a couple weeks ago. I don't recall what the problem was, but I do remember that they refused to even look at it to tell us what was wrong, and just kept encouraging us to buy a new one. They aren't necessarily mean, but they continually pressure me to buy things, and I often (but NOT always) get a strange sort of elitist air from then. Then again, I will not lie, many of them can be nice, and a couple, especially some of the younger ones, can be really cool people.

And when I said that, I really meant more of how they run the company, their actions as a company, and the way they act towards other companies.
But I'm not sure how much I'm in the mood to get into a discussion about that right now.

Also, this information might be a LITTLE outdated, and DEFINITELY correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Apple has consistently had the worst scores on several tests having to do with being "environmentally friendly." In fact, I've heard people call them the least eco-minded computer company out there, which actually kind of surprises me considering the audience they cater to. (artists,etc.)
That's a very important issue to me, and it's bothered me for a while. If they've cleaned up, that really is great, but that's the most recent I've heard.

And the Vista debate is all opinion, and yeah, THEY MESSED UP BIG TIME when they were developing this thing, but honestly, everytime Apple charges $150 for a new version of OSX, it seems to me like a Windows Service Pack (which are FREE) has just as much, or more. I mean, seriously, does ANYONE actually think Leopard was a major update?
ok...fair enough...just thought Id actually see if you had actually dealt with their service department. Ive had (when I say "I", I mean my friend) a good experience. he bought a macbook when they first came out and so far has had to have almost every part in it replaced (note: do NOT buy first gen apple computers). but the kicker is that it was all covered under warranty and they overnighted it there, fixed it, overnighted it back free of charge. Now I wanna see HP or Dell do that...

everytime Apple charges $150 for a new version of OSX, it seems to me like a Windows Service Pack (which are FREE) has just as much, or more. I mean, seriously, does ANYONE actually think Leopard was a major update?

First off, its $129.99 and everyone gets the *ultimate* version and doesnt have to take out a loan like you do for Vistas $499 Ultimate edition. And so you know, the releases of the different versions of OS X are not just little updates, they are almost completely redesigned from the previous one. When I got Leopard, the first service pack equivalent was out no more than 2 months from the initial release, and there has been an update since that one as well where as Vista has been out for over a year and has yet to see a service pack update. But the main features that grace OS X leopard are as follows:

1) Boot camp is built in (oh yeah, and the Macbook Pro was rated the fastest computer that Vista runs on)

2) Time Machine - never worry about making a back up again! Makes back ups for all files every hour, day, week, month, year, etc so that if your computer ever crashes or you delete a file, you can automatically retrieve it.

3) 64 bit processing (and of course natively supports Intel Processors)

4) Spotlight and help actually show you where the thing is that youre looking for.

5) Quick look - ever wanted to view a file without actually starting a program? well now you can!!

6) Apple Mail - Improved with templates, drag and drop pics to emails, add to-do stickie notes, set email reminders

7) iChat - Improved Video chat and compatibility

8) Spaces - Need more than one desktop? Now you can have as many as you want without buying a monitor (originated with linux distros and was called virtual desktop)

9) Safari - Faster than ever before and WAY more secure than IE

10) Takes advantage of multicore processors (unlike vista)

11) iLife - iMovie, iTunes, Front row, Garageband, iWeb, iDVD, and iPhoto....yeah it pretty much owns everything. All got a refresh (iMovie was completely rebuilt from the ground up).

12) Stacks - pure organizational awesome... nuff said

Those are all the main features along with 300+ other things that were added that are unique to Leopard ONLY

and yes...I am bored and actually took the time to type this all out for your reading pleasure
Ok, I definately respect some of those features, but for example, do you actually consider the Safari and iChat things major new features? Because I really could not care less about those things, and I actually really hate e-mail stationary.

Spaces is a very cool feature, but Microsoft has had the same thing out since 2004. (I believe it was called Virtual Desktop Manager, I used it for a little while.)

And instant search was something Microsoft developed before Apple used it, but Apple definitely gets kudos for getting out to the consumer first.

So really, I honestly don't consider a lot of those things to be major new features at all, and lots of them could be included in a Windows service pack or even a smaller update.
Maybe it's different for you, in which case I respect that, we just use our computers differently.

And, just so you know, (This is a basic version of my feelings) I really like their products, and I think they've got great ideas. I just really don't like them as a company.
Well the updates for safari to me are a kinda big deal because Im into webdesign. But I actually dont use Safari per se as my primary browser. I use its open source brother called WebKit which is updated every night with new stuff which is pretty cool.

As for MS coming out with windows virtual desktop...I used it and IMO it sucked really hard. You couldnt do much with it and it slowed your computer down and just didnt integrate all that well with XP. Spaces takes it all to the next level with giving you almost unlimited spaces that you can make. You can even assign programs to open in certain spaces if you want. I dont really use it because I run dual monitors, but its there for people to use.

And instant search was something Microsoft developed before Apple used it, but Apple definitely gets kudos for getting out to the consumer first.

If youre talking about the search that was included in XP then Ive got a bone to pick lol because that was the worst god-awful search tool that I had ever used in my life. Apple didnt get around to it in OS X tiger (to be succeeded by leopard) in 2005, but it was FAST and almost instantaneous while the one in XP was FAR from it.

In essence MS tried to make a clone of OS X with vista and did not exactly succeed, but didnt fail either. Some things in it are implemented well (the new search function for example is MUCH better) and some things not so much (whatever the equivalent of expose is on the mac, you know, the one in Vista that lines all the windows up in a row?)

But I fear they wont be able to build something as powerful as OS X until they stop using the Windows NT kernel that has been in use since 1993!!

And as a company...meh...theyre starting to become power hungry that they have increased their market share by so much. They have really started to pick up momentum in the laptop market especially. And as for the whole "green" thing... yes they were pretty bad 5 years ago, but they have gotten significantly better environmentally.

not trying to be a jerk or anything by all this. but it goes both ways, us mac users get tired of people that use windows complaining, and then you windows guys are tired of us mac guys trying to act all elite and stuff and thinking that Mac is the only way to go. Lets put it this way: both have flaws and both have benefits. It all just depends on who you are and what youre trying to do with your computer
the problem is you have vista. vista is the worst thing wondows ever came out with
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by mcg1sean
Well the updates for safari to me are a kinda big deal because Im into webdesign. But I actually dont use Safari per se as my primary browser. I use its open source brother called WebKit which is updated every night with new stuff which is pretty cool.

As for MS coming out with windows virtual desktop...I used it and IMO it sucked really hard. You couldnt do much with it and it slowed your computer down and just didnt integrate all that well with XP. Spaces takes it all to the next level with giving you almost unlimited spaces that you can make. You can even assign programs to open in certain spaces if you want. I dont really use it because I run dual monitors, but its there for people to use.

If youre talking about the search that was included in XP then Ive got a bone to pick lol because that was the worst god-awful search tool that I had ever used in my life. Apple didnt get around to it in OS X tiger (to be succeeded by leopard) in 2005, but it was FAST and almost instantaneous while the one in XP was FAR from it.

In essence MS tried to make a clone of OS X with vista and did not exactly succeed, but didnt fail either. Some things in it are implemented well (the new search function for example is MUCH better) and some things not so much (whatever the equivalent of expose is on the mac, you know, the one in Vista that lines all the windows up in a row?)

But I fear they wont be able to build something as powerful as OS X until they stop using the Windows NT kernel that has been in use since 1993!!

And as a company...meh...theyre starting to become power hungry that they have increased their market share by so much. They have really started to pick up momentum in the laptop market especially. And as for the whole "green" thing... yes they were pretty bad 5 years ago, but they have gotten significantly better environmentally.

not trying to be a jerk or anything by all this. but it goes both ways, us mac users get tired of people that use windows complaining, and then you windows guys are tired of us mac guys trying to act all elite and stuff and thinking that Mac is the only way to go. Lets put it this way: both have flaws and both have benefits. It all just depends on who you are and what youre trying to do with your computer

I love having discussions like this. They're so interesting.

When I said the Instant Search feature was in Windows first, I did NOT mean the one in XP. That thing was frustrating piece of garbage.

No, I mean that it was already developed for Vista, then Apple took a look at it and copied it. It's not cool to do that, but it's Microsoft's problem for taking 5 years to get it into the market.

And to be fair, I haven't been able to try out Spaces on a Mac. It does seem cool, and being Apple, it looks really shiny and pretty and nice and professional, which it should.

And yeah, like I said before, I do enjoy their products, and they've definitely got some awesome ideas and some awesome stuff, it's just I really don't like the way they run their business.

And as totally awesome as the Macbooks are (and they are AWESOME, the Pro is sweet) it kind of annoys me how expensive they are.

But hey, you get what you pay for.

And I do agree it goes both ways, Windows and Microsoft are in no way even close to perfect, I just don't really like mindless bashing, which is unavoidable sometimes. Not that you were mindlessly bashing, but others were.
hahaha yeah I work at the Staples near me in computer sales so Ive had my share of debates like this with my co-workers haha.

No, I mean that it was already developed for Vista, then Apple took a look at it and copied it. It's not cool to do that

Meh, I could say the same thing about the Gadgets there in Vista and all I can say to MS is "What the HELL were you thinking when you threw that in there?!?!" hahaha

And as totally awesome as the Macbooks are (and they are AWESOME, the Pro is sweet) it kind of annoys me how expensive they are.

Ive actually got a Macbook Pro and I use it for all my Web/graphics design, video editing, and recording my bad (Logic Express FTW!!). Ive got Windows XP on one partition with Bootcamp and runs Call of Duty 4 on full EVERYTHING (Thank you Nvidia 8600GTS and 4GB of RAM )

But pricewise, it actually came out to about the same price as a Dell XPS laptop with the same specs (bout $50 difference). Apple is now on a pretty even playing field with all of the competitors in terms of price which is a first in MANY years.
Quote by mcg1sean
hahaha yeah I work at the Staples near me in computer sales so Ive had my share of debates like this with my co-workers haha.

Meh, I could say the same thing about the Gadgets there in Vista and all I can say to MS is "What the HELL were you thinking when you threw that in there?!?!" hahaha

Ive actually got a Macbook Pro and I use it for all my Web/graphics design, video editing, and recording my bad (Logic Express FTW!!). Ive got Windows XP on one partition with Bootcamp and runs Call of Duty 4 on full EVERYTHING (Thank you Nvidia 8600GTS and 4GB of RAM )

But pricewise, it actually came out to about the same price as a Dell XPS laptop with the same specs (bout $50 difference). Apple is now on a pretty even playing field with all of the competitors in terms of price which is a first in MANY years.

(Referring to the Gadgets thing) True, true, they've both done their share of copying. From what I understand (and what I've tried), Sidebar has gotten better. Originally it was a big dumb memory hog, but it's pretty solid now. Apple's version is still better and more thorough, but hey, you can't blame 'em for trying.

The original design was apparently much more advanced and "good", but when they restarted the project in, what was it, 2005? they built it with much less features.

As for price wise... really? That's great. Well, in terms of specs like RAM etc., technology is moving incredibly fast these days, so I guess it makes sense. I actually really like the XPS laptop too, the 1550, so it's good to see these things are evenly matched now.

Your Macbook sounds great! Like I said, I'm not in the market for a computer for a few years, maybe a little less, but I'm already debating with myself which way to go. They've both got their ups and downs so I'm not sure. I also understand certain collages actually require certain programs, so that may influence my decision.

And also, you mentioned something about how they've been working off of the same Windows kernel for years now. I actually just consider that a part of Windows. It's "evolutionary" I guess. I mean, it's so refined from what it once was, and I think it makes for some interesting developments, but I can see it getting old.