Page 1 of 2
Which version would you recommend? I'm partitioning my hard drive soon so I can do a dual boot.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Can you do a barrel ro... Ubuntu?

That's what I've been considering, largely due to the GUI. That version is free over the web, right?
I used Fiesty Fawn. Don't install Linux unless you know how to work the Linux terminal.

Barrel + 8600 Nvidia geforce.

Barrel is a bleeding edge visual program I wouldn't suggest unless you have a powerful video card and system.
Most distros are similar. Ubuntu is overrated.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Niczawr
I used Kubuntu for a week, It's garbage IMO.

hahahahaha
n00blet

and this coming from a windows vista user

EDIT:

what graphics card do you have?
be ready to use alternate install and manual driver install if you have ATI X and plan on using ubuntu

as for the gui - you can install any gui on any linux
but ubuntu is very easy for a linux, the terminal stuff is also simplified
Quote by mcg1sean
Ubuntu is the easiest to use if youve never used a linux distro before. But just be ready to learn to use the terminal a lot (similar to command prompt in windows, but MUCH more powerful)

Last time I tried Linux (1st time), I forgot to partition my hard drive, so my drive is wiped out at the moment (I'm using my mother's MacBook Pro right now). I got a copy of XP I'm gonna download in a little while, seeing as I had no backup disk for Vista. Plus, I was using Gentoo, which is hard as **** to figure out. Ubunto is the one w/ the cube desktop, correct?
Quote by ashgray
Last time I tried Linux (1st time), I forgot to partition my hard drive, so my drive is wiped out at the moment (I'm using my mother's MacBook Pro right now). I got a copy of XP I'm gonna download in a little while, seeing as I had no backup disk for Vista. Plus, I was using Gentoo, which is hard as **** to figure out. Ubunto is the one w/ the cube desktop, correct?

Jesus dude. You must not know much. Ubuntu is the style of Linux it is. There is Kubuntu also.

THE CUBE DESKTOP. Is a add on, you have to install and is VERY hard to install. It's called.
"BARREL"

It's a Bleeding Edge visual program, the cube desktop allows you to have 4, or even 16 different desktops, given the computer strength.

Can you tell me your computer specs? I'll help you out.
Desktop effects can be installed on any operating system. Gentoo is an OS geared toward learning and understanding Linux.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Niczawr
Jesus dude. You must not know much. Ubuntu is the style of Linux it is. There is Kubuntu also.

THE CUBE DESKTOP. Is a add on, you have to install and is VERY hard to install. It's called.
"BARREL"

It's a Bleeding Edge visual program, the cube desktop allows you to have 4, or even 16 different desktops, given the computer strength.

It's an HP Pavilion A6000N:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor 4200 Plus
250GB hard drive
1GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 video/graphics card with 128 MB of dedicated video RAM, 10/100 Ethernet
Yeah, they can be installed on ANY operating system, but! It depends if your computers strong enough to handle it. If your video card can handle it.
Ubuntu is a disgrace to Linux. Gentoo is the best, hands down, but Debian is good too.

The only quality newbie friendly distro is SuSE, but it's nothing compared to Gentoo.

Quote by Niczawr

"BARREL"

It's called 'Beryl' and it's not exactly bleeding edge. It's been around for over about 2 years if I recall correctly, but it still blows away all Microsoft and Apple efforts at a composite window manager.

It's pretty simple to install in Gentoo: emerge beryl

Then set X to run the window manager. Easy.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by ashgray
It's an HP Pavilion A6000N:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor 4200 Plus
250GB hard drive
1GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 video/graphics card with 128 MB of dedicated video RAM, 10/100 Ethernet

You should be able to handle it.
Quote by Muphin
Ubuntu is a disgrace to Linux. Gentoo is the best, hands down, but Debian is good too.

The only quality newbie friendly distro is SuSE, but it's nothing compared to Gentoo.

It's called 'Beryl' and it's not exactly bleeding edge. It's been around for over about 2 years if I recall correctly, but it still blows away all Microsoft and Apple efforts at a composite window manager.

It's pretty simple to install in Gentoo: emerge beryl

Then set X to run the window manager. Easy.

Hahah, You got me. Beryl, It's been a while. Lmao :P

I think it was, something with Fiesty.

- Sudo apt get-install beryl

or something, I hate Sudo. :]
Quote by SilentDeftone
The CIS labs at school have Fedora Core 4. It's quite nice.

-SD

Holy crap, you guys need to update. 8 just came out a few months ago.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Niczawr
or something, I hate Sudo. :]

Quote by darkstar2466
Holy crap, you guys need to update. 8 just came out a few months ago.

I thought it was 6, but the CIS website lists 4. I, as a lowly student and not the sysadmin, have no power over updates…

-SD
^ Perfect drawing.

Beryl is the shit. It took so long to install and get it right.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
^ Perfect drawing.

Beryl is the shit. It took so long to install and get it right.

Ooh, looks like Beryl was merged with Compiz to create Compiz-Fusion.

Maybe I'll try it out, it's easy for me thanks to this great documentation.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by SilentDeftone

I thought it was 6, but the CIS website lists 4. I, as a lowly student and not the sysadmin, have no power over updates…

-SD

HA! Hahahah!
Quote by Muphin
Ooh, looks like Beryl was merged with Compiz to create Compiz-Fusion.

Maybe I'll try it out, it's easy for me thanks to this great documentation.

Yeah, I heard about that. Looks sweet.
Quote by SilentDeftone

-SD

Xkcd is great.

Anyway, I have to agree with muphin, gentoo is the best.
Quote by ashgray
I'll give Ubuntu and Beryl a shot. Thanks for all the help!

Keep in mind that Compiz is now the standard, Beryl has been merged in to what is known as Compiz-Fusion.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I downloaded Ubuntu for free, of course. It gives you the option to decide how much if any of your hardrive you want to partition. I had Vista, so I chose to wipe it off completely. I love this O.S., no problems at all. You do not have to be a computer programmer to use this. Nor will it wipe out the other system you had, only if you want it to. First nervous moment? Hooking up my printer for the first time, it recognized it right off. Free is nice, problem free is even nicer. Vista? No thanks.
Just so you know, and I am sure there is a way around it, but I had a problem installing XP and Ubuntu on the same hard drive. It did not matter which order I installed them in, it seemed that the boot record would get screwed up and my computer had no idea how to boot after the BIOS loaded.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
Ubuntu comes with Compiz-Fusion, i love it
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I use Ubuntu, yeah. It's really nice. Definitely advise it.

I've not heard of Barrel :S I use Compiz-Fusion and Emerald.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
As a new user, try Ubuntu.
The hospital in Argentina uses Ubuntu.
I tried Ubuntu but I would keep with Windows until all the games get a version for Linux, and Photoshop also makes a version for linux.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Niczawr
I used Kubuntu for a week, It's garbage IMO.

Yea, as it was KDE. Try Gnome.

On topic: Suse.
Quote by urik
Photoshop also makes a version for linux.

They did. It's called the GIMP.

So being on spring break, I have an old PPC iMac that I had Yellow Dog Linux on. The past few days have been spent installing Gentoo, but I could not get X Windows to run properly. I was missing some DRI file, and the only thing Google turned up was Ubuntu-specific.

So I'm searching for a new distribution. Fedora 8 didn't burn properly (twice) to CD, so I said **** Fedora and am now trying Debian…

-SD
If you're a beginner then definitely Ubuntu. It has a great community, and is pretty simple to use once you get the hang of it. Plus, it's easy to customize, and compiz is easy to use (and amazing )
I wouldn't recommend Gentoo to a n00b.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by SilentDeftone
They did. It's called the GIMP.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Really, GIMP is just as good as Photoshop, it just has a slightly different interface.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Well, Debian's installed. Was incredibly easy compared to Gentoo.

I greatly prefer Xfce over GNOME.

Any ideas on how to get Adobe Flash working? I tried their installer and it told me PPC architectures weren't supported.

-SD
Page 1 of 2