what can you do to help develop speed on the guitar? scales? excersies? what im asking is this: do you gain speed simply by practicing, or is there more to it like certain techiques or something like that?

i practice scales and i can do hammer-ons/pull-offs, but i just cant seem to get any real speed. this especially goes for my picking hand. how in the hell am i supossed to pick 32nd notes!? and dont even get me started on tremolo picking. how do i tremolo pick and hit 32nd notes? i have no idea so help would be nice.
1 word: metronome.
Gear:

Ibanez XPT707FX
Ibanez RG7321 (DiMarzio D-Activator 7 Pickups)

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah-Wah
DigiTech Whammy WH-4
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

Line 6 Flextone III Plus w/FBV2 Footswitch
Quote by BMXfreak000
1 word: metronome.

+100 million
I could write songs as bad as Wham's if I really felt the urge to, but what's the point? - RS
Start slowly, just to get the technique down. Once you have the technique down, you can start building speed, but don't sacrifice technique for speed. If you can't do it slowly, you certainly won't be able to do it fast. I always learn songs at a slower tempo, and gradually work up until I can play at full speed. That's just the best way to do it. Practice scales. Lots of scales. Practice scales until you get sick of scales, and then practice them some more. Excercises will also help. Better than that, though, learn some songs in addition to all that other stuff.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by guitaristx11
what can you do to help develop speed on the guitar? scales? excersies? what im asking is this: do you gain speed simply by practicing, or is there more to it like certain techiques or something like that?

i practice scales and i can do hammer-ons/pull-offs, but i just cant seem to get any real speed. this especially goes for my picking hand. how in the hell am i supossed to pick 32nd notes!? and dont even get me started on tremolo picking. how do i tremolo pick and hit 32nd notes? i have no idea so help would be nice.

Practice your picking technique?
How do you pick?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
i can play sorta fast and i don't use my right hand much at all actually

i'd just practice some exercises on the pentatonic scale and start trying to do some runs with that, using hammer-ons/pull-offs.
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
if there are riffs you are having trouble with, you can use Guitar Pro speed trainer.
pick slow...then pick fast?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
If you want to learn tremolo picking, play BYOB by SOAD. It ties you down and forces you to learn how to pick alternating.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Learn how to master alternate picking.
Practice MUCH scales, start slow, then go faster and faster with a metronome.
Concentrate on playing accurately and cleanly - speed comes with time. A long time admittedly, you're talking months and years, not days and weeks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
No doubt about it

Accuracy is the most important aspect of it, if you learn to play fast & sloppy... the outcome will never be good.
Quote by mynamesedson
Learn how to master alternate picking.
Practice MUCH scales, start slow, then go faster and faster with a metronome.

+1
Quote by Silky Smooth
No doubt about it

Accuracy is the most important aspect of it, if you learn to play fast & sloppy... the outcome will never be good.

Herman Li is a good example of that
Thats who I was thinking of when I typed that haha

Live video or footage is where you see if the player has put the time and effort into being good. The magic of studio processing and doctoring could make us all sound incredible.