I've been playing about two years now, and I recently learned to sweep pick, which astounded me, as I thought I was years away from anything even close to being considered shredding. However, my alternate picking is a bit weak. The fastest thing I can play alternate picked is about the speed of the solo to 'I'm Charming' by the Black Dahlia Murder. I don't have a metronome so I don't know how fast to tell you I can pick.

Anyway, I was wondering what I should do besides boring chromatic scales up and down the neck. I've seen the use of a metronome suggested in pretty much every thread on this subject, so I'm planning on getting one next time I happen to be at a music store, but what exercises should I do right now?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Make your own exercises. If your weakness is changing strings, make an exercise that incorporates string changes. If your weakness is consistency, practice something like this:

e|-0-0-0-0-2-0-0-0-3-0-0-0-5-0-0-0-7-0-0-0-8-0-0-0-10-0-0-0-12-0-0-0- etc.
B|--------

The "downside" is that this actually involves analysing your technique and recognising weaknesses. Seems like in this day and age people just practice what they find on the internet without giving it any second thoughts. And indeed, do practice with a metronome. As long as you practice a lot you will see improvement. I don't bother with real metronomes, I just use www.metronomeonline.com
Last edited by Vomit Rapist at Feb 29, 2008,
How do you know the tempo of a song that you want to learn if you're just listing to it on itunes?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Count the number of beats in one minite.

If you don't want to do chromatics, practice actual scales up and down the neck. Feel free to watch TV while you practice. Running up and down scales while you watch Leno every night will improve your playing quite a bit.