So I've been doing a lot of blues and jazz type stuff and I learned the whole pentatonic scale. And I love soloing with it and jamming is a lot more fun now, but now I have a problem. I can't get out of the pentatonic. Now in jamming I always refer back to the scale or when i'm writing I can make a riff unless i'm using that scale. It's like things don't sound right unless i'm using it. How can I get out of just using it? Do I just need to memorize different scales?
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Major/minor scale.

EDIT: you'll have to realize that the major tonality will be much tougher then pentatonic or blues scale as it allows less freedom. However, learn it, get used to it, love it, and you will be free-er then 90% of guitarist out there. Also...Jazz just doesn't "happen" unless you start learning the major scale. hope it helps
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Feb 29, 2008,
I would go to the minor or major scale, because it is very similar. The Pentatonic is based off of those mother scales. It only uses less of their notes than they do. And then make your way to similar ones again. Like learn minor and then harmonic minor, and so on. And I recommend finding what you like in each scale and then creating your own style using your favorite pieces.
Quote by John2314andrew
Don't just memorize scales, learn to understand them.

plus a bajillion. often, when i'm improvising, i use the pentatonic, but depending on what kind of solo i want, i'll add notes.
If you like the pentatonic scale....try moving on to the Aeolian mode
probably wont be difficult. It feels almost like a bigger pentatonic scale.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by KryptNet
Major/minor scale.

EDIT: you'll have to realize that the major tonality will be much tougher then pentatonic or blues scale as it allows less freedom. However, learn it, get used to it, love it, and you will be free-er then 90% of guitarist out there. Also...Jazz just doesn't "happen" unless you start learning the major scale. hope it helps

JUst a bit of nitpicking, but I'd say Jazz doesn't happen unless you know and use your arpeggios.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje