Can anyone help with warmup techniques. IE. getting the blood flowing and keeping fingers warm. I just had a lesson, my fingers were fine, nice and warm. Now in the 30mins between this lesson and the next my fingers are now freezing.
So if anyone has any warming methods, please tell me. Any methods that don't include warming up with guitar, or warming up using hand warmers or gloves would help.

The reason I put this thread here is because i'm sure a few guitarists have had this problem. Especially before going on stage. I know I do.

I usually do stretches, that helps but anyone other methods are great, cheers.

[edit] I've fixed parts to avoid confusion.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Last edited by Mattalac at Feb 29, 2008,
The chromatic excercise is a great way to warm up. Make sure to use all four fingers and alternate picking.

E||----------------------------------|----------1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5---------|-----||
B||----------------------------------|--1-2-3-4-----------------2-3-4-5-|-----||
G||--------------------------1-2-3-4-|----------------------------------|-----||
D||------------------1-2-3-4---------|----------------------------------|-----||
A||----------1-2-3-4-----------------|----------------------------------|-----||
E||--1-2-3-4-------------------------|----------------------------------|-----||

Remember, use a metronome.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Mattalac
Can anyone help with warmup techniques. IE. getting the blood flowing and keeping fingers warm. I just had a lesson, my fingers were fine, nice and warm. Now in the 30mins this lesson and the next, my fingers are freezing. So if anyone has any warming methods, please tell. Any methods that don't include warming up with guitar, or warming up using hand warmers or gloves would help.

The reason I put this thread here is because i'm sure a few guitarists have had this problem. Especially before going on stage.
I usually do stretches, that helps but anyone other methods are great, cheers.

To be honest, playing anything will get you warmed up. It can be a song, a scale... whatever. Just start practicing, and pretty soon.... your warmed up. You ofcourse dont want to start with a blisteringly fast solo, but anything reasonable will do the trick.
shred is gaudy music
No, not using the guitar I said. I was wondering about alternatives... Maybe you read it and just didn't care about what I said, but I said not using the guitar. Like stretching.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
If my hands are cold or not warming up I usually run them under hot water for like 30 secs or so.
Quote by Mattalac
No, not using the guitar I said. I was wondering about alternatives... Maybe you read it and just didn't care about what I said, but I said not using the guitar. Like stretching.

I care I just misunderstood your question. Do whatever you want. I only warm up on my guitar. I feel no need to do anything in between. When Its time to play, I pick up the guitar and play. Im warmed in a few minutes. When Im away from the guitar is time to focus on the other things in life.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I care I just misunderstood your question. Do whatever you want. I only warm up on my guitar. I feel no need to do anything in between. When Its time to play, I pick up the guitar and play. Im warmed in a few minutes. When Im away from the guitar is time to focus on the other things in life.

What else is there?
Quote by GuitarMunky

Sorry I didn't mean to sound dicky with the .

The point I was making was, sometimes before a gig, you have to set up, and leave all your gear on stage, so you can't exactly warm up, and do chromatics in front of a crowd. And in a lesson, well I warm up always before hand, but sometimes especially in cold weather, it isn't long until my hands go cold.
Rememebr everyone's bodies are different.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band