I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this but here goes...

I really love the tone from arch enemy's "doomsday machine" album. I also love trivium's tone from "ascendency" and the tone on bullet for my valentines new album. I know a lot of you don't like these bands and will flame me but whatever.

I believe peavey 5150/6505 amps were used to record quite lot of the guitar parts on these albums. However, i was wondering if one of these amps could make a sound similar to 80s metal bands such as metallica, megadeth, loudness etc as well?

i hope that makes sense and any help is appreciated!
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this but here goes...

I really love the tone from arch enemy's "doomsday machine" album. I also love trivium's tone from "ascendency" and the tone on bullet for my valentines new album. I know a lot of you don't like these bands and will flame me but whatever.

I believe peavey 5150/6505 amps were used to record quite lot of the guitar parts on these albums. However, i was wondering if one of these amps could make a sound similar to 80s metal bands such as metallica, megadeth, loudness etc as well?

i hope that makes sense and any help is appreciated!

5150's and 6505's are the to-go metal/hardcore amps. They're great. I believe Matt Tuck uses 6505+ heads, 2 to be exact. For the 80's stuff (and for modern stuff) use the rhythm channel with the crunch on, gain cranked, then use a tubescreamer or something to boost it. Smooth, creamy tone all the way. Much less brittle than the lead channel. That's if you're getting the 5150 mkII/6505+ of course. If you aren't, then the amount of **** you can do with your amp will be uh, much less, cos of the shared eq.
Depends on whether you're happy with basically not using cleans at all or not. If you're not using cleans much or at all then get a 5150/6505, not the plus. They're slightly differently voiced amps, the regular 5150's/6505's are a fair bit darker, and the brittle high end is very difficult to tame on the mkII/+ heads.
It'll handle what you want it to do just fine.
thanks a lot man!
i quite like a more clean sound sometimes and was kinda leaning towards the 6505+

When you say the lead sound is very brittle, do you mean its kinda thin sounding?

also, i hear people saying that the "cleans" of the regular 5150/6505 are almost un-usable while others say they really aren't as bad as they are made out
is the best way to find out really to just go and try them?
Top lel.
Quote by the memory

is the best way to find out really to just go and try them?

Yes...

to be blunt
Adam