So my (5th Gen) iPod Video's battery is beginning its decline into crap. On a full charge I get roughly 3 hours, and it's only getting smaller and smaller.

I am re-ripping/downloading all of my music into FLAC because I can't stand all these crappy MP3 files I have, and all the troubles that come with using the popular format (mp3-deleting viruses, etc.).
So I just started looking into portable FLAC players, and the only one that looked decent was the Rio Karma (if you know of another good one, please post, but keep in mind I only want a music player, I don't want it to be able to play videos).
Link:
http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=261
They came out about 4-5 years ago, and aren't being produced anymore, but there are people selling them on ebay for really cheap.
The two bad things I've read about the Karma are it's battery and hard drive. Well, the versions being sold now have been replaced with a different brand's 40gb hard drive and a different battery, so it should be great.
I am curious as to whether or not there are other good FLAC portable players that don't play videos, and how good the Karma is if any of you have one.
Thanks
You know your iPod can play flac files, right?

Rockbox will liberate your hardware, supporting just about every audio codec, plus a bunch of other goodies.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I've actually already tried that rockbox thing a while ago, and I hated the UI and it ran really slow. I just hated it. Also I'd have to spend about $100 on a new ipod when my battery completely runs out and that's about what I'd have to pay to just get the Karma I was talking about.
I also dislike how my ipod plays videos. I never use it since the screens so tiny, and its just a waste.
And also I really want to uninstall itunes because it slows down my computer.
(and yes i know there are plugins so other media players can work with ipods but I want to use WMP and nothing else).
Rockbox is "drag n' dropable" so absolutely any media player should be able to function with it. The iPod with Rockbox acts like a USB disk drive, as long as WMP can copy files to the medium it should work.

My theme is damn sexy, btw Couldn't be happier.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Yeah, I did love the games, they were really cool.
Sorry though, I think my post was confusing. I meant the UI on the player, not my computer. Is there a way to use rockbox without the weird/small font menus?
thanks
Quote by rush5757
Yeah, I did love the games, they were really cool.
Sorry though, I think my post was confusing. I meant the UI on the player, not my computer. Is there a way to use rockbox without the weird/small font menus?
thanks

Of course. For some reason Rockbox doesn't come standard with the font pack, but they do host it on their site. Just install it and find a good theme from their database and you're set. I admit, most of the themes on there are awful, but there are some really good ones.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Cowon iAudio X5 will play FLAC, as well as a host of other file formats. I've had mine for two and half years and the battery is going, but it was great while it lasted. The only con I can think of is the tiny thumbstick they use for navigation. Also, you have to set up the organization just like you would an external hard drive, which I think is great but I'm sure not everyone agrees.
ok i want to instal rockbox, BUT HOW THE **** DO I DO IT? it is so ****ing complicated. download this part, download that, drag this here etc. is there an exe i can download? can anyone walk me through it? i have an ipod video 30 gig
My Guitars:
One
Two
Quote by The Needles
All the kids in the coffee houses
try to act like they know what loud is
all they know is an electric beat
if you're rockin to this, you'll be rockin with me!
Quote by apollo718
ok i want to instal rockbox, BUT HOW THE **** DO I DO IT? it is so ****ing complicated. download this part, download that, drag this here etc. is there an exe i can download? can anyone walk me through it? i have an ipod video 30 gig

They have a wiki guide. I've never done it on windows, but it was real easy in linux.

What you are doing is installing the Rockbox bootloader (can load Rockbox and iTunes) on the first partition of the disk. Then you simply extract the Rockbox data files to the main partition. The bootloader reads this data and runs the firmware every time you turn the device on.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I don't know if anyones still watching this thread, but here goes

Okay so I've decided to re-install rockbox and try harder to make it work the way I want it to and look good.
I'll give my ipod another shot
@Apollo: if you still can't figure out how to install it on windows pm me. it's really easy once you get it