I bought a Maxon OD808 to go with my new amp and while it improved the tone a bit, I didn't think it was worth the three-digit price tag.

So I am looking to do some upgrades, but I need to know what would improve my tone the most (so I know which to do first):

a)New Speakers: 2 12" Eminence Legends to replace the current
Celestion Seventy 80s (decent but not great).

b)New Tubes:4 JJEL34s in the preamp to replace stock Bugera tubes (not sure how good they are, but safe to say they are not as good as the JJ's)

Any help or other suggestions appreciated.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
I don't know about the speaker change,yet, but when I got my JCM800 it had old Ruby preamp tubes in it and GE EL-34's. The GE power tubes didn't show any signs of problems so i found some NOS Mullard 12ax7's. The Ruby's sounded thin, when i put in the Mullards it sounded like a different amp. It still amazes me the difference they made.
Quote by stigma15
I bought a Maxon OD808 to go with my new amp and while it improved the tone a bit, I didn't think it was worth the three-digit price tag.

So I am looking to do some upgrades, but I need to know what would improve my tone the most (so I know which to do first):

a)New Speakers: 2 12" Eminence Legends to replace the current
Celestion Seventy 80s (decent but not great).

b)New Tubes:4 JJEL34s in the preamp to replace stock Bugera tubes (not sure how good they are, but safe to say they are not as good as the JJ's)

Any help or other suggestions appreciated.

My question would be why would you want to upgrade the tubes so soon the amp just came out. What about the tone dont you like and we can give ya some options...
The amp sounds fine. I'm happy with it although I would like more sustain on the palm mutes. Instead of sounding tight and full (Despised Icon, Killswitch), they sound kind of thin and fizzle out.

Check this video from 00:30-00:50 to hear the kind of palm-muted tone I am after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcHa3tSZcg

The amp sounds great. I just wanted to do some tone tweaks because I know my speakers and tubes aren't the best.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Scoop your mids?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Scoop your mids?

Terrible idea.

Speakers would make a bigger difference, I think. I would upgrade to something better than Legends, though, I think...Those of the metal inclined usually prefer the Vintage 30?

Have you tried turning up some reverb? A little 'verb goes a long way, with chug.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Mar 1, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Terrible idea.

Have you tried turning up some reverb? A little 'verb goes a long way, with chug.

+1 to reverb, but I think a tiny bit of mid shaving, rather than scooping, would give him a bit more hollow-ness.