Okay, sometimes when I need to tune a string a little bit lower, or higher..The string will build tension on the nut, then just take a major jump..knocking it WAY out. Any ideas to help that quit?

Some people are telling me to put some graphite in the nut, but im not
sure..

But when i wanna make a small adjustment, i wanna make a small adjustment, not a BIG one.
Gear:
MIM Strat
Ovation Applause Shallow-Body Acoustic

-----> PAGE
-----> CLAPTON
sounds like you need some nut sauce...it basically is a graphite based lubricant so i hear. i think that you can grind up some graphite in petroleum jelly and it would be something like that.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Do you mean it goes way out as in of it's usuall placement or that it goes way out of tuning?
you could let them wear in a little bit. When I was trying different gauges on my old guitar, I went up to 12s for 2 changes and then back down to 11s and I noticed that I don't get that problem anymore
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
Quote by EddieRhoads
Do you mean it goes way out as in of it's usuall placement or that it goes way out of tuning?

Way out of tuning.
Gear:
MIM Strat
Ovation Applause Shallow-Body Acoustic

-----> PAGE
-----> CLAPTON
Buy some of this stuff from Musiciansfriend.com and have at it. I use it religously and have no tuning issues with any of my guitars from the nut binding up the strings.

Filing The Nut Works Wonders, Just Dont Over Do It !!!!!
If You Put Heavier Gauge Strings On Your Guitar This Is The Cure, Not Oil !!!!!
^ Even if one does decide to put heavier gauge strings on, file the nut, it's still a good idea to lubricate the nut slots to prevent binding and ease tuning. Besides, TS wasn't asking about putting different gauge strings on.
And, what happens to the nut if you decide to go back to original or thinner gauge after you've filed it?