Thinking about upgrading the stock pickups on my 98 MIA Jazz. Whats the best way to go??? I want to keep the vintage Jazz tone as much as possible. Also thinking about getting her re-fretted with Jumbos. Thanks everyone.
Well, the previous owner of my MIA Jazz put in some Fender Custom Shop 60's pups in there. They sound pretty good. I've been thinking about putting some Lindy Fralins in. They sound fantastic on the Laklands I've tried. But I'm becoming more and more turned on by the idea of popping in some Dark Star pickups. The main problems are they are really quite expensive, and routing will need to be done (which is very hard and expensive to reverse).

The problem with vintage style pickups is that they are slightly more noisey. You very well might not notice. Solutions... you have the Fender Noiseless pups. Lindy Fralin also do a split-coil pickup. Hope that's give you some ideas.
Sly, i've been trying to think of a decent response. i say go to Guitar Center and see what the other p-ups sound like. the SCN's sound like a good option. but i'm painfully stuck in the "if it ain't broke" mind-set. maybe a new strap?.....lol
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
But let's be honest, even an MIA Fender isn't perfect. Mods and improvements can always be made to a stock bass.

i totally agree! i would probably look into a new bridge, p-ups, and tuners. Fender MIA's are great, but there is bound to be better "after market" stuff available.
MIAs come with Hipshot licenced tuners don't they? The ones I've played have always felt pretty solid.

I'd just have a look at a new bridge, adding a Series/Parallel switch if it doesn't already have S1 switch (I find mine really useful as a quick way of fattening up the tone and a for a slight volume boost.)

The stock pickups aren't bad IMO, but there is obviously better. Have a look at Lindy Fralins, Nordstrands, Dimarzio Model Js, or Seymour Duncan Antiquities.

Also check out the Audere preamps if you like active systems, they are really cheap and will make you bass a whole lot more versatile.
I suggest the SCN's or the fender noiseless ones. I've tried them both, and I find them both to sound great.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I'm not going make a new topic, I'm just going to somewhat hijack this.

I have a '92 MIA Fender Jazz Plus. It's basically an American Deluxe of the past, 22 frets, smaller body, Lace Sensor p-ups. Problem is, I don't like the p-ups or bridge at all. Would pick ups and bridges that fit an American Deluxe fit this bass?

I can provide pictures if needed.
Quote by RJayZ
I'm not going make a new topic, I'm just going to somewhat hijack this.

I have a '92 MIA Fender Jazz Plus. It's basically an American Deluxe of the past, 22 frets, smaller body, Lace Sensor p-ups. Problem is, I don't like the p-ups or bridge at all. Would pick ups and bridges that fit an American Deluxe fit this bass?

I can provide pictures if needed.

SCN pickups and a Leo Quan Badass bridge. If yours is a string-thru bass, get the Badass III, but otherwise get the Badass II.

EDIT: Provide pictures anyway. I think I speak for all of us when we say we love pictures of basses
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by Your41Plague12
SCN pickups and a Leo Quan Badass bridge. If yours is a string-thru bass, get the Badass III, but otherwise get the Badass II.

EDIT: Provide pictures anyway. I think I speak for all of us when we say we love pictures of basses

Haha sweet, thanks. I was just looking at SCN pick-ups now actually, would you mind taking a look at this link for me? The title says for jazz bass but the description goes on about Telecasters, which is slightly...worrying considering I'm spending a good £120!

Here it is: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/21046

I'll provide pics asap in the Show Off Your Bass topic =)
That's wierd. If I were you, I'd look for another website with a similar price, but a normal description. It's not worth the money in messing up once, if you ask me. I'd rather pay 10 pounds more and know what I'm getting than try to save 10 and end up with telecaster pickups . But I bet you'll be really happy with those pickups. I haven't heard anything bad about them at all, and from personal experience, I don't see how you could.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Thanks everyone, what about refretting with jumbos? Any one ever refretted? Was it worth it?? How much did it cost?????
Sly, that's all preference. Both of my basses have larger frets in them, either Jumbo or Extra Jumbo, and personally I prefer the feel of fender-style "medium" frets. That's just opinion though, it's all a feel issue. Unless your frets are either really worn down or you genuinely don't like how they feel, I'd leave them alone. Why fix what isn't broken?
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

I'm going to suggest Nordstrands again Really, REALLY nice,

Clicky

Also, think of upgrading that bit of tin, oops, I mean bridge!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Sly Taco
Thanks everyone, what about refretting with jumbos? Any one ever refretted? Was it worth it?? How much did it cost?????

dude! i have no experience with refretting to a larger fret. a full blown fret job runs about $200, and thats just to repair, or replace worn frets, and "dress' the fretboard. i don't think i've ever played on jumbos', so i really don't understand the advantage of larger frets. somebody give me a clue. lol...
<sounds the "ask John Swift" siren>
^Yeah, I agree. Are your medium-jumbos that warn out after 10 years that they need a refretting? If anything, jumbo frets sound like they have an intonation disadvantage, as the "hump" the strings are sitting on is larger. The strings will probably sit higher as well, but I can't imagine many tonal differences, and negligable playing differences going from med jumbo -> jumbo. My Precision has very small, vintage frets, and there IS a difference going from them to med jumbo, but I'm not sure otherwise.

This is a particularly Fitzy idea... what about investing in a second neck? A fretless one? Then swap them out every time you get a setup? It's a crazy idea but you might find it fun!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yea, you guys are right about the frets. I'm fine with the way they are, I was just curious about the advantages of refretting. I am thinking about pickups though, and those are all great suggestions. Thanks bros