so im just starting to get a hang of theory and my teacher told me to find out the scales in songs. i just want to know if im right or not. in the opening solo of fade to black i think it starts with i think a A mixalydian then later it goes into a aoelien i think or maybe Lydian. but tell me if im on the right track
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Yeah, i think you're right about the A mixolydian, or it could be b melodic minor. I'm just learning this stuff as well, so...
Originally posted by Capua47:

Oh well if your from austrailia then grades shudn't matter considering your just gonna grow up to be ol' stevie erwin eh?!

Gear:
Schecter Omen-6
Peavey Valveking 212
Metal Muff
Metal Zone
Jimi Hendrix Wah
Last edited by listless at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by listless
Yeah, i think you're right about the A mixolydian, or it could be b melodic minor. I'm just learning this stuff as well, so...
He's not. At no point does the song go into any kind of major tonality.

B Melodic Minor might be used, but I doubt it. The song sounds like it uses the A, B, and E Aeolian scales and nothing more, except for maybe a bit of harmonic minor.
with the acoustic chord progression I thought it went Am, Cmaj, Gmaj and Em. So if the key was Aminor, surely the E would be a major chord. is the key not Eminor, just starting on an A minor (and written in A dorian). I may be well off but thats the way i figured it.
Eminor Bminor and their modes
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
The beginning is in Bm, and it switches to Am for the ending lick of the intro solo. I know that much.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Couldn't the intro just aswell be in Dmajor? I've been playing for a while but only recently I've been getting into theory. What is it that determines what key(and therefor what scale?) a song is in?
So if the key was Aminor, surely the E would be a major chord.

Only if it was A harmonic minor.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^^ I thought that as E is the 5th of A, in any A chord progression (minor or major) the E chord would be major, therefore the chord progession could not be the key of Aminor?
Quote by Carter_84
^^ I thought that as E is the 5th of A, in any A chord progression (minor or major) the E chord would be major, therefore the chord progession could not be the key of Aminor?

No, there's an Em chord in Am.

A B C D E F G

G is a b3 from E.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
No, there's an Em chord in Am.

A B C D E F G

G is a b3 from E.

Ok man, thanks. I guess i never thought about it that way, constructing triads from the scale notes, I was only thinking about the modes being major
Well, even then, with the modes of A minor, the one that starts with E is Phrygian, which is a minor mode.
Quote by dudetheman

**** yeah you're right. I wasn't thinking of A minor as a C major, only thinkin of the "5th" as being major (in terms of Amajor I mean). I think I was just confusin myself totally (an probably everyone else).
i know what you meant.

you were applying the Major Minor Minor Major Major Minor Minor pattern to the minor scale.

obviously the minor scale rearranges the pattern to Minor Minor Major Minor Minor Major Major.

It is interesting that you stumbled across this though, because it is sometimes desireable to have a major 5th degree chord and this is how the Harmonic Minor is created. The raised 7th degree of the harmonic minor acts as a raised 3rd in the V chord, hence making the 5th degree major.
yeah someone did point that out earlier on, I just didn't understand it! I guess i should brush up on my theory before i start trying to advise anyone else! Thanks for explaining that though