Page 1 of 2
do any of you have friends that never stop playing guitar around you and try to show off yet your better than them. It really pisses me off more then anything i come over and he picks it up and plays a bunch of easy led zeppelin riffs then says how hes better and i tell him off but he just doesnt understand. then i play things and he critizises everything and say how im doing it wrong then he plays it and its very unclean with a ton of distortion.

Does anybody else know people like this. if so tell your story
yep, i hate that---especially when they think theyre godly---you pretty much hit it rite on the nose
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
I have to admit I'm sort of like that but I don't try to be a prick about it. I just want constructive criticism for my own playing.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
omg, yes!!! this one dude, he used to be in my band but i booted his ass out because of this. so, i was playing "swwet home alabama". this guy slaps me across the face, and tells me its wrong, then compltly mutilates the song on his guitar.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
yea, but did u ever stop and think maybe your the dick because you think YOUR better than HIM???
Not to be mean but I know its happened to me. Some person was playing some stuff and then I played some way harder stuff just to show off and then realized...hey I'm the dick now!!!
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
ya it is so annoying like i slept over there and he played the same easy riffs for about 3 hours then he was like lets make songs and i told him that he sucks at making songs and that they are jsut a bunch of powerchordes put together. then he said at least i come up with rythyms and so i was like whatever so i played along with him and he was like dude your guitar is tuned to drop D change it it sounds wrong i was like no its not yours is out of tune. then i took out my electric tuner and proved it too him and he said it must be broken. lol. Then when i make lead parts hes like what song is that then i say i made it and hes like ya right. and he thinks that its someone elses song. It was so annoying that night. i got stairway to heaven stuck in my head all night.
Ya I got this problem...they turn up their distortion till you can barely even tell what notes they play because of their crappy amps/amps distortion....then they play something thats fairly easy, trying to show off....
mrxtreme_4 and no im not a dick. i dont try to show off and when im with friends i never play guitar cause i know how it feels. i just had to shut him up. i could not stand anymore of his crap
I know this guy who doesn't play anything but Hey There Delilah, and all the Asian chicks in the school love it. The only other songs he can play are old Sum 41 songs.

Another guy doesn't play anything but "Laid to Rest" whenever someone brings their guitar.

Yet another guy is pretty decent at guitar, and thinks that his "pinch harmonics" are awesome, even though all he ever gets is a dull thunk.
haha i know what you mean, I'm not trying to diss anyone. I'm just saying that you turn into the dick when you do that, but I guess you have to to prove them wrong.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
there was this kid just like that at the guitar center yesterday. played highway to hell horrible at ear splitting volume. everyone was complaining.
My Girlfriend's brother who was my old rythm guitarist said he was better as the lead guitarist and wasn't he never soloed, always stole my work, and said it was his work, killed my poor l'il Jackson SLSMG by throwing it off stage when we were at a gig, after that all that i still killed him in the soloing department and song writing.

HE STILL B*****S ABOUT GETTING HIS GEAR BACK FROM MY HOUSE. HE HASN'T PAID BACK THE $1000 THAT HE HAS OWED ME FOR THE SLSMG.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30
haha im glad im not the only one with these problems. im not saying that im that good though. im good and improvisions and some solos. like he plays stairway to heaven and said its really hard then i played the first solo to master of puppets(it was my first solo), the one solo,fade to black solo, and a solo that i created. then he said that looks super easy but he hasnt even learned a solo and doesnt know the difference in difficulties from riffs to solos
Unfortunatly guitar is one of those things. Your completely blinded by ignorence about the possiblilitys of music untill you one day come to realize how things are. Untill you understand how music and music theory works and develope an a cute sense of music. Ppl who suck think they have good musical taste but in essence they have no Flippen idea how to listen to what they play when they play it. Only time and more playing will change that. And the god granted gift of talent.
Quote by Crashton
Unfortunatly guitar is one of those things. Your completely blinded by ignorence about the possiblilitys of music untill you one day come to realize how things are. Untill you understand how music and music theory works and develope an a cute sense of music. Ppl who suck think they have good musical taste but in essence they have no Flippen idea how to listen to what they play when they play it. Only time and more playing will change that. And the god granted gift of talent.

amen
Gear:
Line6 UX2
I hate it when people give you "that look" when you say "That's too much distortion, do you mind if I roll it back a bit?"

And when you tell them their MGs and Spider IIIs suck and they're like "**** you, it has tons of distortion, therefore it kicks ass."

I really hate distortion because of that. They just ruined it for me. Unless it's like Overdrive+ Tubescreamer Overdrive to get a distortion-like tone.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Nope I'm glad I don't have to deal with complete idiots, instead I play with my brother and my friend.
Last edited by teethdude at Feb 29, 2008,
haha yes!! my friend has a spider 3. and he always puts it on insane with tons of reverb and i tell him it sounds fuzzy and digital and then hes like your jsut jealous that your amp doesnt have these effects. i mean come on half of them are useless and sound terrible.
I have a friend who is better then me, and a metal addict. He NEVER turns high gain distortion off! I went round to his house to hear his wah pedal as i was going to buy the same one, he wouldnt turn the distortion off so i could just hear the wah. He was running a metal distortion pedal, wah and his amps high gain with heaps of reverb, it just sounded s***
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
I don't mind it at all. Then again, I have a pretty laid back personality.
I kinda have the opposite problem as you guys...

the rhythm guitarist in my band plays a Jackson DK2 (which i am not a fan of... but that will not be discussed here) through a Spider III. he uses the 'crunch' channel to get what may or may not be described as trying to get a 'metal' tone. we are by no stretch of the imagination a 'metal' band, but definitely use high-gain tones. the end result is something pretty gross, and fails in comparison to my Laney.

sometime i'm going to drag him into Guitar Center and force him to play a 6505 +. THEN he'll understand...
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Im a annoying guitar player.... Not because im too good but because i suck lol And usually either my buddys say give me the guitar... (which the give me the guitar is pretty much the scenario yall are talking about but they never say there better then me they just play crazy stuff and im like you motha ******)
Its a bit annoying. All my friends play other peoples music all the damn time, since I don't take the time to learn songs completely I'll just noodle around, not to show off or anything. Actually my friends used to get extremely angry at me because I would play lead over it and they knew I was a better lead player(I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything, I just picked up stuff a lot faster than they did).

But a lot of people tell me I'm good, but I spot every single flaw in my playing.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
ya thats another problem i have. me and that guy are starting a band we already have a singer a drummer a bassist then me and him play guitar. he says that we should switch off with rythym and lead but trying not to be cocky i tell him that i should play lead. he cant put his male ego aside. ill admit he can play more chords and faster but i am much he cant solo come up with his own stuff or play fast. but he doesnt understand the differences between lead and rythym
Quote by bWsWwrestler
ya thats another problem i have. me and that guy are starting a band we already have a singer a drummer a bassist then me and him play guitar. he says that we should switch off with rythym and lead but trying not to be cocky i tell him that i should play lead. he cant put his male ego aside. ill admit he can play more chords and faster but i am much he cant solo come up with his own stuff or play fast. but he doesnt understand the differences between lead and rythym

ROFLII

Rolling On Floor Laughing In Irony.
nah most guitarists i know are at my level, one of my friends is just starting out so i'm sort of teaching him, and my other friend is more of a finger picking kind of style player, like dust in the wind, black bird kinda stuff, then i'm more of a lead, solo kind of player. So we don't really find anyone really to much better than either person.
I don't like showing off, so the people that do show off think they're better then me, they have the EGO but not the skills... but I guess they'll never know because I seriously hate showing off.
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
rockDJ i dont have a big male ego. i just want to do whats best for the band i want to actually go somewhere. and we cant do that if our lead player can only play chords and arpeggios
Quote by bWsWwrestler
rockDJ i dont have a big male ego. i just want to do whats best for the band i want to actually go somewhere. and we cant do that if our lead player can only play chords and arpeggios

Let's just leave it at that then.
I have a friend who thinks he knows all this stuff about equipment and pickups and everything. He says tone relies on how loud you're playing, and tone has nothing to do with wood, only pickups. He says EMGs are the best for Blues.
Quote by Slayer666_5150
My Girlfriend's brother who was my old rythm guitarist said he was better as the lead guitarist and wasn't he never soloed, always stole my work, and said it was his work, killed my poor l'il Jackson SLSMG by throwing it off stage when we were at a gig, after that all that i still killed him in the soloing department and song writing.

HE STILL B*****S ABOUT GETTING HIS GEAR BACK FROM MY HOUSE. HE HASN'T PAID BACK THE $1000 THAT HE HAS OWED ME FOR THE SLSMG.

I have same situation here but without that dead guitar.
Quote by Paul Carbonella
I have a friend who thinks he knows all this stuff about equipment and pickups and everything. He says tone relies on how loud you're playing, and tone has nothing to do with wood, only pickups. He says EMGs are the best for Blues.

Lol .. He doesnt have to worry about the quality of wood because he is playing emg's.......
Quote by bWsWwrestler

I agree, you're probably just trying to work out the problems of lead and rhythm parts but you friend was being a jerk. If I was in a "real" band then if a fairly better guitar player wanted to take lead then I'd let him. I'm just lead cause I like solos.
its sucks alot when he has been playing for than than u and thinks that makes him better,b ut he still sucks and makes extreml shiitty song like

----------------------9----10--------10
-----9----10---11----------------------------11
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------

and he says his the **** and cant even pull off pinch harmonix nor natural hamronix and can barley prlay the cray train intro
I usually launch into a 200bpm sweep lick and melt the face off of any annoying guitar players.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Quote by bWsWwrestler
do any of you have friends that never stop playing guitar around you and try to show off yet your better than them. It really pisses me off more then anything i come over and he picks it up and plays a bunch of easy led zeppelin riffs then says how hes better and i tell him off but he just doesnt understand. then i play things and he critizises everything and say how im doing it wrong then he plays it and its very unclean with a ton of distortion.

Does anybody else know people like this. if so tell your story

well i try not to be friends with those kind of people for the most part lol. but i do have some that just wont stop playing while im trying to tune up. ill tell them to be quiet for a bit and they will but they build up and play loud again. its pretty annoying but ill admit sometimes i take a while to tune. im really picky about tuning. i have a pretty good ear and dont like my chords out here and there. but still, im quiet for them. id think they'd show me the same. but they dont.

but my sister is kinda like what you are talking about. she doesnt think shes better, but she always has to say im doing something wrong....when im not. it will be like the smallest, dumbest thing too. like a strumming pattern. and its not even like ill be off a whole lot. sometimes im not even off at all. but she has in her own head what she thinks is right and shes one of those people who thinks shes always right. no questions asked. if you tell her she is, she gets all mad and pissy. its pretty frustrating.
Page 1 of 2