curious why the c major is always written x32010.. and never 032010

we have our, root (b string and a string), third (e string, and d string) , and fifth (g string)... now i know c major could be played with 332010, giving the fifth again , g note. but why do we not see c major as 032010,,, adding the low e? i mean it is the third degree of the scale, or is three e notes just too much? cuz personally sounds fine to me, i always mute the bass E it just bugs me to know why this is.
according to theory, any of the 3 positions you wrote are correct, however most people tend to find x32010 to be the most balanced, as it is in root position. the other two have a tendancy of sounding muddy to most people
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
It's the third all right, but look at the interval between the low E and that C, it's a 6th. DOesn't sound very C major-ish.
Inhuman evil take down!
The root note of the chord is C, the third fret of the A string. Adding the low E would make it a C/E.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
That note tends to buzz and ring a lot. It's fine to have the third as the lowest note in a chord, it's called an inversion, but letting the low E string ring out during a C major chord is generally not advised.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That note tends to buzz and ring a lot. It's fine to have the third as the lowest note in a chord, it's called an inversion, but letting the low E string ring out during a C major chord is generally not advised.

so basically rule of thumb, is root note to be the lowest bass note?

also,,, what brought me to this was ,, Csus2 x3002x..... but im playing x30020, would that be cadd2?
Last edited by Findinghomer at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by Findinghomer

also,,, what brought me to this was ,, Csus2 x3002x..... but im playing x30020, wouldnt that be cadd2?

what do you think about csus2 and cadd2 above? basically im playing csus2 but leaving the high e open.. adding the d note (2nd) but not replacing both e notes. seems that should be cadd2 but i did a search on that chord and found nothing..

so im playing:

xcdgce:
Last edited by Findinghomer at Feb 29, 2008,
x32033 word work either way, its all a matter of personal preference and what voicings sound best in their context
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Quote by Findinghomer

Not at all, but you don't want to have a weird interval (in this case, a m6) between the bass and the next note.

For an example, try a C/G. Take your basic C chord, and slide your thumb over the neck to play the 3rd fret of the low E. That sounds better, doesn't it? That's because there's a strong interval between the lowest note and the next lowest.

If you've ever compared a G like (320003) and a (320033) and noticed the second sounds better, it's the same principle, but with the melody instead of the bass.