What constitues "add"? Haven't been able to figure it out to what I know.

Using "2" as an example

Is it because:

Asus4 is 1 4 5
Aadd4 is 1 3 4 5

Is that even correct? I'm jsut sort of freeballing this with some sense of logic.

Thanks.
Hard to explain....For an add4, you add the 4th degree of the chord i think. For an A, you would add a D note. For an Eadd2, you would add a G note i think. But im not sure really.
You're spot-on with what you said, TS, but most of time you'd say add9 (instead of 2) or add11 (instead of 4) because chords generally sound better voiced like that.

EDIT: yep, listen to the dude below me, he explains it a bit better.
Last edited by bananaboy at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by bananaboy
You're spot-on with what you said, TS, but most of time you'd say add9 (instead of 2) or add11 (instead of 4) because chords generally sound better voiced like that.

To expand on this (for the TS), when you see a chord with extensions added beyond a 7th, a b7 is generally implied (e.g. an X9 chord would be written 1-3-5-b7-9). When you intend for this interval to be added onto the chord without the extensions coming before it, the term "add" is used (e.g. an add9 chord would be written 1-3-5-9)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 29, 2008,