Hi bass thread

I usually play guitar and recently i have been wanting to take up bass as well. I dont want to buy a bass amp yet and i have been looking towards an Electric/Acoustic bass. How much different is the tone on these basses? Im looking for a round, deep, warm tone similar to that of a double bass. My budget would be about $300-$450 Australian dollars. Any suggestions?

Thanks
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
they have very nice, warm tones. If you're playing hard rock its not gonna work, but for slow and acoustic stuff theyre very cool
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
I think it would sound knda like a McCartney Viola-type tone. Watch one of Green Day's full acoustic performances on YouTube, you should be able to pick out Mike Dirnt's sound.
Quote by DanielQ
How much is that in US dollars?

$280US-$420US
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
You'll not get a 34" instrument that sounds like a double bass - period. Fact o' life.

For an actual acoustic bass at that price range, the only thing is the somewhat rare Olympia OB3CE. I own one and it meets my vigorous standards. It's not at the level of a real Tacoma Thunderchief, but it's the only acoustic worth owning at that price. I've tried them all.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
You'll not get a 34" instrument that sounds like a double bass - period. Fact o' life.

For an actual acoustic bass at that price range, the only thing is the somewhat rare Olympia OB3CE. I own one and it meets my vigorous standards. It's not at the level of a real Tacoma Thunderchief, but it's the only acoustic worth owning at that price. I've tried them all.

I second this. The Olympia is a beautiful instrument and sounds quite nice. It was tough to find one though. I ended up having to order online from a small acoustic shop in North Carolina.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.