So i was flipping through the channels today looking for something to watch. i noticed the movies 'Wedding Crashers' and 'The Matrix' were playing.

i figured that The Matrix would show more then the other because Wedding Crashers had a lot of nudity + more swearing. The Matrix was awkward to watch. during fight scenes 2-5 seconds would be completely cut out making the whole thing hard to understand.

On another occasion i was watching the first Pirates of the Caribbean. Every throat slitting was cut out but the old man being shot in the chest was not.

Now if a station decides to show a movie, why don't they show us the fucking movie?
Is there a lot of censoring in the US, then? They don't cut out bits over here; they just wait until after 9pm to show the films.
because they are gay
Quote by RPGoof
I feel dirty just reading that word. Grindcore... EW... I need a shower

Quote by stratkat
music is my meth equivalent
They censor movies on tv?

WHAT IS THIS!?
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
If I wanted to read excessive ammounts of text I'd have read erotic literature, not wikipedia.
Three letters.

FCC
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by blue_strat
Is there a lot of censoring in the US, then? They don't cut out bits over here; they just wait until after 9pm to show the films.

thats what they do in canada, but still if theres excessive swearing they'll just mute the sound at the cuss words, other than that, they don't mess around clipping parts out...
Quote by fallenangel20
Three letters.

FCC

i understand the whole censorship thing to an extent. but when they butcher one of my favorite films at 10:30 at night they are just hiding a movie that is rated 'R' anyways.
They cut out movies because parents complain about children watching bad movies.

Some also say its because of Phil Anselmo. If he had never left pantera then a parent may never have heard the F word and started complaining about movie censoring.

Ask Rita and Vinnie.. theyll tell ya
How else are they gonna make time for commercials? Unfortionatly its easier to take away from the fight scenes with out taking away from the story.
epic7734
i saw american history x on tv the other day and in stead of m.other f uck er they said monkey lover. and they still said n.igger
Quote by bendystraw
i understand the whole censorship thing to an extent. but when they butcher one of my favorite films at 10:30 at night they are just hiding a movie that is rated 'R' anyways.

I understand your pain, I really do, but everystation has to censor things, even if it's deemed "uncensored", like Comedy Central's Secret Stash.

Sure, there's no word filter for "curse" words, but they still don't show nudity or anything like that, even though they claim it to be comlpetely uncensored.

It's just TV, sadly. Too many people worried about their kids getting a taste of what the world's really like and too caught up in trying to sugarcoat everything.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by x8blitzkid8x
i saw american history x on tv the other day and in stead of m.other f uck er they said monkey lover. and they still said n.igger

wow. i saw the same for the longest yard. and at the same time the treatment from the guards was shiznit.

i also remember watching the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the sci fi channel. more then 20 minutes of the film was taken out. why? they talked about Gods.
Quote by x8blitzkid8x

what shitty channel are you on man. i dont think thats possible.
HI GUYS!
The thing is, is that its not always censoring. Its time restraints also.
epic7734
Yeah i mean they give warnings and such then bleep everything out stupidest thing ive ever heard of
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Quote by epic7734
The thing is, is that its not always censoring. Its time restraints also.

i don't think shaving 5 seconds out of a climax fight scene is gonna get them too much adspace.
I cannot stand censoring. I mean, honestly, if parents don't want their children to see certain movies, there's other ways of doing it. I know there are programs or hardware that allow this.
This may sound ridiculous, but if it's a good t.v. show, I consider it art. And no modern thinker would ever dare to cover up nudity etc. in a painting.

Of course, if it's for time restraints, it's different. But Comedy Central, for example, censors to a ridiculous extent. I mean, the channel isn't even meant for children anyway!
Quote by bendystraw
i don't think shaving 5 seconds out of a climax fight scene is gonna get them too much adspace.

Actually yes it will. They will fit every possible ad in they can. The average ad is probably 20-30 seconds. So 5 sec. here and there adds up to 1 or 2 more ads.
epic7734
Quote by KetchupLad14
I cannot stand censoring. I mean, honestly, if parents don't want their children to see certain movies, there's other ways of doing it. I know there are programs or hardware that allow this.
This may sound ridiculous, but if it's a good t.v. show, I consider it art. And no modern thinker would ever dare to cover up nudity etc. in a painting.

Of course, if it's for time restraints, it's different. But Comedy Central, for example, censors to a ridiculous extent. I mean, the channel isn't even meant for children anyway!

that is a great way to look at it actually.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I have three words to say:
Yippe-Ki-Yay, Mr. Falcon.

I love ridiculous censors. The people who think of these substitute words are comedic geniuses.

i watched the breakfast club the other day. they had the same voice actor saying damn instead of fuck. honestly i have this to say to the FCC: forget chew!
Last edited by bendystraw at Feb 29, 2008,
This is a bunch of gargoyles! I think the FCC should not exsist, If you don't like your child hearing the word **** or seeing a boobie, OH WELL! There are so many other things you can do with your child then watch TV. Infact watching TV is probaly one of the worst, go outside and play ball, make a cool ass finger paintz, or even go to a playground. It's kinda sad that alot of parents use there TV as a babysitter.
the censorship is getting ridiculous. I was watching kill bill and they actually showed all the violence, but the "pussy wagon" on the car she steals at the hospital had to be censored. apparently the word pussy is worse than violence nowadays.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
another thing. this has gotten progressively worse over the years. the credits. some people may want to see who put work into the film or what songs were used. too bad, they are fast forwarded and crammed to the bottom. just to make it funny they also cram an ad in there as well. does anybody else see this as a crime?
Quote by bendystraw
another thing. this has gotten progressively worse over the years. the credits. some people may want to see who put work into the film or what songs were used. too bad, they are fast forwarded and crammed to the bottom. just to make it funny they also cram an ad in there as well. does anybody else see this as a crime?

Unfortunately, it technically won't be a crime until they are so fast that it is a white blur.

I used to like reading credits.
Quote by bendystraw

This time restraint thing doesn't hold water with me.

if you have a 2hr film you want to show with a 5 min ad break every 30 mins you schedule the film for 2hrs 20 mins, not take bits out.

Thats how it SHOULD be done.
It depends on the time of the screening and other variables. But, if they do censor it, they should warn you before the film and after so that you know you haven't seen the entire thing. I once watched 'Snatch' on a flight from Dubai to London because I had been told it was a great movie. I wasn't too impressed and thought it was pretty bad. Then I watched it for a second time at a friends house and realized that the version I had seen had had about 2/5 of the feature removed due to coarse language etc. That was incredibly annoying and gives the viewer an unfair image of the film, and IMO, spoils it.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
It depends on the time of the screening and other variables. But, if they do censor it, they should warn you before the film and after so that you know you haven't seen the entire thing. I once watched 'Snatch' on a flight from Dubai to London because I had been told it was a great movie. I wasn't too impressed and thought it was pretty bad. Then I watched it for a second time at a friends house and realized that the version I had seen had had about 2/5 of the feature removed due to coarse language etc. That was incredibly annoying and gives the viewer an unfair image of the film, and IMO, spoils it.

yes, like ketchup lad said, they are censoring art. remember that episode of the simpsons where the townspeople put a pair of pants on a michael angelo sculpture? no difference really although an airline is an awful place to show a 'grown ups' film.

also, say you make a kick ass song but the lyrics can spell out 'pussies for sale'. every radio station scrambles the parts up so that there is no more controversy but the meaning of the song is gone. you feel cheated. now you directed a gritty war movie and won several awards for it. TNT decides to air it with almost all of your most brilliantly placed scenes gone. i see no difference.
Last edited by bendystraw at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by freedoms_stain
This time restraint thing doesn't hold water with me.

if you have a 2hr film you want to show with a 5 min ad break every 30 mins you schedule the film for 2hrs 20 mins, not take bits out.

Thats how it SHOULD be done.

Whats even worst. Is that most movies are only a hour and a half. You would think that extra 30mins would be enough for ads.
epic7734