Page 1 of 2
GITARdud391
None More Black
695 IQ
I know this is something people typically scream "YOU NEED A GODDAMN BASSIST" at, and I'm no Jack White on the guitar either. I really am curious to know if a band can create an environment to write and perform within that doesn't sound completely empty and lacking even without a bassist. I know typically if a band IS lacking some sort of guitarist, it's not the bass section...so I really do wanna know, is there a way to succeed as a band by writing good songs around the preface that you don't have a bassist...?

The reason this comes to point is because my band does really enjoy the intimacy and creative freedom we have with a vocalist/guitarist/drummer, and finding a bassist who is as dedicated to take this where we are isn't quite working out. Now our singer's female, I play guitar, my drummer is pretty unique and extremely talented (hes like the one you are like "oh ****, he's awesome" in the band at his instrument), and we are all good at writing good lyrics and melodies. We actually are told that just as a group we perform well, although we've only played a few times more recently. Our vocalist is really awesome, and I'm not bad at the guitar at all. As a band we know what we want soundwise, and we are actually a pretty talented group (I'd like to think, and I have been told...I'm just sort of bashful or not so sure...but if people say it, hey, that rocks). I really do wanna know if we can make it without a bassist at all. Is there some way to achieve this through specific EQ'ing when mixing? Maybe just throw some alternative ways to achieve this out there, or tell us why it won't work..but please, cause it's sort of a pressing issue on my mind, and all of ours actually.
Doodleface
UG Monkey
1,651 IQ
If you're really serious about not wanting a bassist. Then I suggest YOU playing bass when you guys record and everything. Get a friend to play it live the way you YOU want him/her to.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
GD_GC
Master of the Blues Duels
2,005 IQ
Well you can do whatever the fuck you want in a band. But the only problem I would have is for lead guitar work. There will be nothing keeping the chord progression under the guitar, and it will sound confusing and random, unless you are GODLY at blending lead and rhythm playing. So basically I think it COULD work, but 1.) it will be hard and 2.) a bassist adds a lot to the sound, so it really won't sound as good.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
b_rob
24 IQ
apparently the grindcore band pig destroyer doesnt have a bass player. the guitarist uses a 7 string( maybe tuned down??) and does a little trick with his cabs where he turns them so that the speakers face the floor of the stage, thus turning the stage into a giant subwoofer.... so ive read anyways.................
emr_steelmech
mmmm....broodwich
338 IQ
ive seen a few bands with one guitar, drums, and a vocalist. They all sounded empty and really hollow. I would suggest either a bassist or 2nd guitarist to fill out the sound, but maybe you guys can pull it off, i dont know.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
godisasniper
Shh...I'm making noise!
870 IQ
I play with no bassist, just me singing and on guitar and my brother on drums, and that works...but I can't really do lead guitar stuff when we play live. I stick to chord progressions generally, and don't do much soloing. I pick songs to cover where the bass part is just the guitar part but an octave down, and I put more bass in the eq...I'm also thinking of getting an Electro Harmonix POG, which can add an octave down and two octaves up.
qotsa1998
815 IQ
I thin you need a bass player. Without one, you end up sounding thin and empty. For Example, listen to the song Take it or Leave It by the Strokes. The bass is pretty sproadic in the verse, so you kinda get to compare how it would sound with a bass player and without one. Either find some1 who will play what you want to, or hire one when you gig. But that Pig Destroyer trick is interesting.
Matheau
145 IQ
It depends on the kind of music you want to do. For most things, you are probably going to sound too thin, as mentioned above. Bass is the conventional instrument, but there are other instruments that can fill in that gap.

It really depends, but it is doubtful you are going to get a full sound with your set up. Even most punk bands have more versatility then your set up. There are more situations where you would get by better with a bass player over a guitar player, especially if you have a really good singer.

Also keep in mind, unique doesn't mean the same thing as good.
Colohue
227 views to 60000!
1,554 IQ
So you're asking if you can be unique by doing what's most popular to do?

It would be more unique without a bassist as more bands have bassists than do not in my personal experience.
Tom Colohue is a writer from Blackpool, England, recognisable for his integrative descriptive work and his cynical textual mannerisms.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Armagedn
Roulette Bassist.
824 IQ
You should really have something to fill in the bottom. You could even have the singer do a synth/keyboard thing on the low keys. It could be done with no keyboard knowledge if she could just hit 2 or 3 keys in the correct pattern while she's singing.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
just don't have a bassist. it really isnt a big deal. plenty of great bands don't have one. it just means that you don't have a bassist. so yeah, it'll sound different, it'll lack a sound in a certain place. but that isnt automatically a bad thing.

really, stressing out over it and trying too much to overcompensate just isnt worthwhile. just get on with playing without a bassist. easy peasy.

if you're really bothered by it though, maybe look into a baritone guitar. you can do some awesome things with them. there's a band called 'that fucking tank' who just use baritone guitar (in an open tuning into a bass amp and a guitar amp) and a minimal drumkit, and they sound awesome. think they've got a singer now too, but whatever. its ace-o.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Mar 1, 2008,
Zycho
300 IQ
You don't NEED anyone in a band. As long as you sound good it's fine. However most bands sound empty and thin without bass.
Wulver
Nothing is Real
2,800 IQ
Well, reading this, my idea was to get yourself a loop station and some sort of octave-down pedal. Record the bassline through the octave pedal, and have it repeat behind your actual playing?

Just a concept.

Might also try learning that sort of rockabilly chicken-picking, keeping a basic rhythm going under everything. downtune your upper strings and all.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Jearl
yr bird.
118 IQ
this may not be what you're looking for, but you could always record with you on bass and guitar as said and play live acoustic.
until you find a bassist at least.

it could be kind of cool. it would be two totally different sounds. that way, people have more of a reason to see you live and buy your cd.
stringmagician
UG's only guitar player
1,301 IQ
If this is your setup, you're going to need a bassist to play decent live shows. Find a bassist who likes your stuff and will let you just tell him what to play. Eventually you can form a bond with your bassist, but until then that person can just be someone that plays the bass for your band.

Recording will be fine without one, but live you WILL need a bassist for guitar driven music.
JagStang5246
2,119 IQ
Before we found a bassist, we were justing going to record the bass ourselves on the recordings and then have just the bass track and run it through the PA live. Other then that, I suggest getting someone to play it.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by GITARdud391
I know this is something people typically scream "YOU NEED A GODDAMN BASSIST" at, and I'm no Jack White on the guitar either. I really am curious to know if a band can create an environment to write and perform within that doesn't sound completely empty and lacking even without a bassist. I know typically if a band IS lacking some sort of guitarist, it's not the bass section...so I really do wanna know, is there a way to succeed as a band by writing good songs around the preface that you don't have a bassist...?

Yeah, ever heard of The Doors? All their basslines were done on the keyboards by Ray Manzarek.
I also know a band who's guitarist also handles the bass by playing bass pedals with his feet.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 4, 2008,
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Notice how when everyone says "Oh you don't need bass I know *insert random band* and they ROCK and they don't have a bass player!" yet its always followed by "but they fuck around with the amps and resort to trickery to give the illusion of a bass player... but bass isn't necessary!"

Dude, bass is necessary, just get a bass player. Unless you are cool with an incredibly thin sound (not only do you not have a bass player, but you don't have a second guitarist or anything), or you're willing to spend countless hours figuring out a decent way to get your guitar to sound something like a bass, I suggest you get a bass player.

^ Not everyone is Ray Manzarek
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Last edited by trey-col89 at Mar 4, 2008,
litus
on
2,089 IQ
to answer the first question "Can a band formulate their own unique sound without a bassist?"
yes cause without a bassist you already have a "original" sound
but i think getting a bassit or record the bass yourselves is a better idea
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Symmetry4321
517 IQ
If you go for a Free type sound, like in All Right Now, which has no bass except in the chorus, then it could work
Dishburn
202 IQ
Gita,

The Doors seemed to get by just fine without one.

Dish
FLNagle
Stupid-Hate Audiophile
125 IQ
theres a local band just getting started around here, 3 guitars and no bass. although one of the guitarists has one of the most bass heavy distortions i've ever heard (he plays a semi-hollow with high gain. it sounds really, really nice.) it still does not have the same effect on the overall sound as a bass player.

there was another band around here that had no bass player, but instead a guy on keys playing a bass line. i thought it worked well, and the band got pretty popular.

no, you do not really NEED a bass player, but as mentioned if you dont you will probably find some way of giving the same effect.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Damascus
The Insect King
307 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, ever heard of The Doors? All their basslines were done on the keyboards by Ray Manzarek.
I also know a band who's guitarist also handles the bass by playing bass pedals with his feet.

Quote by trey-col89

True - and the Doors used a bassist in the studio.

However, they did manage live without one. It's possible - and if you can make a good enough sound live, you can always fill your studio sound out with bass like the Doors did - hell, I think the White Stripes even have studio bass on a track or two.

Like everyone else said, it is not easy to sound full without a bass, but it's doable with tricks - low guitar tunings, a bass keyboard, that subwoofer thing that sounded interesting...
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by trey-col89

Maybe not, but practicaly any keyboard player will play bass notes with his left hand. There's nothing intrinsically special about Ray Manzareks playing, just that a keyboardist naturaly plays the bass parts anyway.
Now, if you get a keyboardist to split his keyboards, maybe play one with one hand and another with his other hand, then you can have the left hand keyboard set to a bassy sound, (loads of progressive bands such as Atomic Rooster did this in the early 70s) or, many keyboards can actualy be split so that that the left hand keys will have a different sound to the right hand
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 5, 2008,
Zen5887
Oz-Kid
614 IQ
So there is like...4 good bands without a bass player and...How many good bands WITH a bass player...

Yeah..
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by Zen5887
So there is like...4 good bands without a bass player and...How many good bands WITH a bass player...

Yeah..

That's a good point, it's always better to have someone handling all the bass parts rather than someone else doubling up on an instrument, but when a bassist is just impossible to find, 'neccesity is the mother of invention' as they say, and once you've got used to doing it a cirtain way as a band, you may not want to go to all the trouble of breaking in a new member and changing the way you play later on down the line.
rush4life
UG's Alex Lifeson
1,272 IQ
I've seen these guys perform live, and they only have a guitarist, a washboard player, and a drummer.

http://www.myspace.com/therevpeytonsbigdamnband

It was a great show, really loud, the singer/guitarist even brought up the fact they had no bass player, and said "My thumb is the bass".

So, there's some info for you.
20Tigers
640 IQ
Quote by rush4life

It was a great show, really loud, the singer/guitarist even brought up the fact they had no bass player, and said "My thumb is the bass".

Learn to fingerpick. You can cover bass, rhythm, and lead with one guitar.
Si
JagStang5246
2,119 IQ
Record it the way you want it, and then get someone to play it live. That's the best you can do without actually getting a permanent bassist, but then again, that bassist could become a part of that intimate circle and you could create even better music. Or it could all go to hell.
smb
2,006 IQ
You may not need a bassist but you need some bass from some instrument.
Mr.Cuddles
1,324 IQ
get a keyboardist.
notice how they use 2 hands?
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
solid_moose
Bass Player
162 IQ
Quote by smb
You may not need a bassist but you need some bass from some instrument.

This.
You need a low end, it might as well be a bassist, or a keyboardist.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by solid_moose
This.
You need a low end, it might as well be a bassist, or a keyboardist.

Unless you're doing folk music, most folk music I've heard is simply guitar and voice.