I'm looking at geting some new pickups to replace my EMG 81/85 set, I rarely play metal so idk why I have the EMG set. Looking for something really versatile Warm blues-heavy rock.; some Seymour Duncans, perhaps?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
A Duncan JB/'59 Combo would do you well
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Yeah, why not. Would the popular JB/Jazz combo fulfill your needs ?
The descriptions of thoes pups make me skeptical. On musiciansfriend it says they sound really vintage.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Not really...

Lamb of God's Mark Morton uses a pair of SH-1 '59's in his guitar. I don't think he sounds vintage at all. I use a SH-14 in my SG, I get some great hard rock tones, myself.

You're forgetting that most of your tone comes from your amp, my friend.

I just think that PAF tones can really do just about any genre.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not really...

Lamb of God's Mark Morton uses a pair of SH-1 '59's in his guitar. I don't think he sounds vintage at all. I use a SH-14 in my SG, I get some great hard rock tones, myself.

You're forgetting that most of your tone comes from your amp, my friend.

Um he is running those through a Mesa Mark IV with the gain slammed.... And there band is a metal band.... I dont think that constitutes the pickups as not being able to sound vintage... I also owned one they are classic sounding and have a great warm tone.... As long as your not Lamb of god lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Um he is running those through a Mesa Mark IV with the gain slammed.... And there band is a metal band.... I dont think that constitutes the pickups as not being able to sound vintage... I also owned one they are classic sounding and have a great warm tone.... As long as your not Lamb of god lol

Right...And I was saying that most of the tone comes from the amp, anyway.

Plugging in a set of pickups isn't going to make your guitar sound vintage. Plugging that same guitar into a Fender Champ might make it sound vintage....

I'm telling you, I get a great hard rock sound from mine. It can do heavier styles as well, I just don't play metal or anything. The heaviest I get is Black Sabbath.

EDIT: Besides, any pickup as hot as the SH-14 is never going to sound totally vintage.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 29, 2008,
Ill check em out

I don't find the Custom 5 particularly "vintage"...it's a flat out sleazy rock pickup. The JB tone epitomises 80's shred to me, Mike Varney's Shrapnel stuff and all that, compressed, thin and squeally. The Custom 5 just makes you want to play Motley Crue riffs all the time
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by forsaknazrael

+a basket of eggs. If I had to have one guitar to play everything with, it would have a PAF at the bridge, and two single coils at the neck and middle.