Page 1 of 2
I love Joe Satriani and Steve Vai use of beautiful guitar melodies in songs like Tender Surrender and Always With You. How can I write melody lines like this?
Step 1.) Turn off computer
Step 2.) Pick up guitar
Step 3.) Start playing
Step 4.) continue step 3 for approxiamtely 15 years
Step 5.) Write song
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by druz15_UG
Step 2.) Pick up guitar
Step 3.) Start playing
Step 5.) Write song

amen
Quote by druz15_UG
Step 2.) Pick up guitar
Step 3.) Start playing
Step 5.) Write song

+1
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
You just have to feel it....Learn some major scales and arpeggios to help your brain translate your emotions to your fingers.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
practice being able to translate directly from your mind to your fingers. either that, come up with a melody, privately record yourself singing it, and try to get it on your guitar.
i have a 'white guitar'
Learn all the scales/modes and how they sound, each of them is pretty distinct. Then when you feel a mood a song should be you can use the appropriate scale/mode. After you learn that stuff, you still have to feel it.

Plus shear talent doesn't hurt.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Learn theory, start with the major scale and its modes, if you want to make melodic music you need theory.

Edit: so I listened to tender surrender and glanced at a tab and the theory behind the main riff is actually very simple, he is just playing notes from the E minor pentatonic scale and there octaves at the same time. Making music like that may seem intimidating but with practice(a lot) and theory you will be able to make melodic music to.
Last edited by SOAD_freak777 at Mar 1, 2008,
Pick up your guitar turn out the lights and play for several hours straight. MAKE STUFF UP. remember the stuff that you think sounds good or cool. and work around it.

Theory will not give you soul.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
Quote by Manjinken
Pick up your guitar turn out the lights and play for several hours straight. MAKE STUFF UP. remember the stuff that you think sounds good or cool. and work around it.

There is no soul in guitar playing, you play the notes in a scale, and if you know what you're doing it will sound good.
Dickless.
You don't need to play for years to make some good melody.Just stop playing other people's stuff for a while and try to write something your own.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Manjinken

i agree i find i improvise alot better with my eyes closed to...it like hightens my hearing sense....i find when im doin sumthin really complicated or tryin to find the right note i close my eyes...my friends make fun of me for it....but it usually comes out pretty good....no matter what n e one says there is soul in guitar...u could jus throw the right notes together and itll sound good but to really feel it u need the soul of rock and roll...(or blues etc...it jus rhymed and sounded good lol)
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
Quote by blayzin420
i agree i find i improvise alot better with my eyes closed to...it like hightens my hearing sense....i find when im doin sumthin really complicated or tryin to find the right note i close my eyes...my friends make fun of me for it....but it usually comes out pretty good....no matter what n e one says there is soul in guitar...u could jus throw the right notes together and itll sound good but to really feel it u need the soul of rock and roll...(or blues etc...it jus rhymed and sounded good lol)

And what if all people play isn't just basic "rock and roll" or blues? What if you're playing jazz with complex changes? Are you just going to wing it and hope it sounds good because it has this alledged "soul"?
Quote by wasp2020
And what if all people play isn't just basic "rock and roll" or blues? What if you're playing jazz with complex changes? Are you just going to wing it and hope it sounds good because it has this alledged "soul"?

if you play enough and practice, YES.

there is a difference between someone whos been playing 6 months trying to wing it, and someone who knows what they are doing.

but what im telling him is to play slow riffs and make something up based on "soul". Not jam to a band with it, im sure he is not that good yet. for me "soul" is playing what i feel. If i throw in a note or bend out of key because i feel it helps better express the sound of what im feeling, than THAT is soul and THAT IS OK.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
Quote by wasp2020

lol etc means excetera....in other words n e thin u play with a guitar...settle down jazzy...i jus said rock and roll cause it rhymed....n e wayz...its jus what i do...every1 has a different thing...and i play jazz and i close my eyes when doing it too...and i wouldnt call rock and roll basic lol....and it doesnt matter what kinda music u play its all about soul...and emotion...u need to talk through your guitar
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
Quote by MetalMilitia212
There is no soul in guitar playing, you play the notes in a scale, and if you know what you're doing it will sound good.

have fun with that.
Quote by blayzin420
lol etc means excetera....in other words n e thin u play with a guitar...settle down jazzy...i jus said rock and roll cause it rhymed....n e wayz...its jus what i do...every1 has a different thing...and i play jazz and i close my eyes when doing it too...and i wouldnt call rock and roll basic lol....and it doesnt matter what kinda music u play its all about soul...and emotion...u need to talk through your guitar

+1

Guitar can do alot more than just play robotic scales up and down. It can convey a sense of emotion.
Quote by Manjinken
have fun with that.

As a matter of fact, I have. I've been told the first song on my profile is filled with emotion, but all I did was play scales. Music can evoke emotion, but music itself is NOT emotion.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
As a matter of fact, I have. I've been told the first song on my profile is filled with emotion, but all I did was play scales. Music can evoke emotion, but music itself is NOT emotion.

what told you to play those notes? You did not just hit random notes, you played the notes you wanted that you felt sounded good. not to mention the name of the ****ing song is called Lonely? obviously your conveying something with your song.

I didnt say music IS emotion. I said exactly what you said, Music can evoke emotion.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

I disagree with you 100%
Quote by blayzin420

What about music that doesn't use the guitar? What if a classic composer has to write a melody down on paper for his symphony? Would that be too robotic for you, because he's not "feeling" the "soul" and "emotion" out of the instrument firsthand?

No, I didn't think you'd agree. So, why can't a guitarist write a "soulful" melody instead of winging it - no matter how skillful he is at said winging - just as well? Satriani slaved over every single note of Always With Me Always With You and recorded for hours on end to get each one just right, and it's still emotional. Right?

And yes, of course rock and roll is basic.
Don't listen to the people that say "play with emotion not theory". Your basic options are 1. learn theory or 2. never be able to make good music
Quote by SOAD_freak777
Don't listen to the people that say "play with emotion not theory". Your basic options are 1. learn theory or 2. never be able to make good music

What about all the old jazz and blues players? Did they ever formally learn theory? I'm pretty sure Hendrix was never taught anything about it. Just by listening to music, you kind of learn what notes sound good together and what not. I could think of little jazz, rock, or blues melodies in my head, but I can't explain why the notes have that certain feel to them.
Quote by Fig221
What about all the old jazz and blues players? Did they ever formally learn theory? I'm pretty sure Hendrix was never taught anything about it. Just by listening to music, you kind of learn what notes sound good together and what not.

Jazz is the most theory based kind of music to play on guitar so I don't know what source your getting you info from. Hendrix used pentatonic scales and knew how to make a chord progression. He may not be steve vai but he did know some theory

I could think of little jazz, rock, or blues melodies in my head, but I can't explain why the notes have that certain feel to them.

you could if you knew theory...
Read any Wes Montgomery bio. He never had any formal musical education and couldn't even read sheet music. He learned by listening to Charlie Christian records. Due to racism, I don't think a lot of blacks even had the opportunity to learn theory then. By the way, I'm not saying you shouldn't learn theory. I'm trying to learn myself. It's just you said you'll never be able to make good music without it, and that really isn't true. I think a more important skill is transcribing. It'll allow you to put whatever is in your head or heart out onto a guitar or whatever instrument you play. And one more thing, how was music produced before any standard form of theory was made. Just by experience, you learn what notes sound well together and what notes evoke certain feelings. You may not have a name for all of it, but you still know it.

i disagree, creativity is not something that you can learn. But is does improve as you get a better feel for your instrument
Quote by SOAD_freak777

this is how i worked and how most people should go about it.

1)Play your guitar learning tabs and songs until you are pretty certain you ENJOY guitar and want to continue.

after that

2)you should be developing an interest in theory and begin studying it on your own. actually enjoying learning it, NOT complaining about it.

3)then FORGET YOUR THEORY! not literally. you will never really forget what you learned, but dont be afraid to NOT use theory. Get creative and begin developing your own unique styles that define YOU. not some theory strict maniac.
You do not need theory to be creative.You think Hendrix knew theory?
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Megallica Dude
You do not need theory to be creative.You think Hendrix knew theory?

Uh, yes, he did. We already went over this.

The point we are arguing against is the "Just close your eyes and play random notes" position.
Quote by druz15_UG
Step 2.) Pick up guitar
Step 3.) Start playing
Step 5.) Write song

Actually, try doing the opposite.

Leave the guitar for a while and listen to stuff you dont normally listen to.

Try writing with another instrument.

EDIT - Theory DOES help with creativity, because if you know theory, you will know WHY certain things work, and you can translate those ideas you have in your head into real life easier.
Last edited by Tallman at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by wasp2020
Uh, yes, he did. We already went over this.

The point we are arguing against is the "Just close your eyes and play random notes" position.
So just by knowing the pentatonic scale, you know theory? Hendrix never learned theory, he learned by listening to records and practicing often. And who said, "just play random notes"?
Quote by Fig221
So just by knowing the pentatonic scale, you know theory?

Uh, yes. Since when did a musical scale not count as "theory"?

Quote by Fig221
Hendrix never learned theory, he learned by listening to records and practicing often.

As would any practical musician, whether they're Steve Vai or Jimi Hendrix. So I don't really see why you would bother mentioning this.

Quote by Fig221
And who said, "just play random notes"?

This guy:
Quote by Manjinken
Pick up your guitar turn out the lights and play for several hours straight. MAKE STUFF UP. remember the stuff that you think sounds good or cool. and work around it. Theory will not give you soul.
Quote by wasp2020

So the pentatonic scale was the key to Jimi's greatness? Does just knowing the notes even count as theory? Isn't knowing why those notes make up the scale the theory?
Quote by wasp2020
As would any practical musician, whether they're Steve Vai or Jimi Hendrix. So I don't really see why you would bother mentioning this.
So your agreeing that you don't need theory? Just experience and dedication?
Angus Young doesn't even know the names of most chords, and he sucks
touche to all the anti-theory buffs
Hendrix was not formally trained in theory, but he still knew a bit about it, he didn't know any technical names, just the basic ideas behind theory.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Playing guitar is soul.
Every guitar player out there has soul.

Knowing theory doesn't make you creative.
Turning the lights off and playing random notes and remembering what sounds good is a stone age way of learning theory. If you want to do it like that and not from a book go ahead.

Theory overall is good.

/thread?
Quote by Fig221
So the pentatonic scale was the key to Jimi's greatness? Does just knowing the notes even count as theory? Isn't knowing why those notes make up the scale the theory?

No, it's not. Scales are theory, no matter how indepth you go. And Hendrix definitely knew the effectiveness behind each note and also how to construct chords. Some of his songs were more complex then anything AC/DC put out, for instance.

So your agreeing that you don't need theory? Just experience and dedication?

No, you should have both.
Quote by wasp2020

This guy:

funny you bother to quote me when my quote never said PLAY RANDOM NOTES.
Page 1 of 2