hey,

I got a cheap guitar, that has a tune o matic knock off in it, i was wondering how would i get the bit of the bridge that is in the actucally guitar.

Thx
Attachments:
GotohTuneOMatic.JPG
I'm not sure what your trying to do. Do you want to pull the stud bushings out? If so, why?
Quote by hercules1
I'm not sure what your trying to do. Do you want to pull the stud bushings out? If so, why?

Yea the thing in circled in the pic, i want to take them out, to put into a custom guitar im making
Thread the correct screws into them. grab the screws with something (pliers or vice grips) and yank...HARD.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Thread the correct screws into them. grab the screws with something (pliers or vice grips) and yank...HARD.

Have you tried it before? or know someone that did it and it worked??
No....but it only makes sense. They are not glued in, they are pressed in. Take the guitar (or just the body) into the hardware store and test a bolt or screw out that fits snuggly into the threaded insert; make sure its long. Try standing on the guitar or something as you pull upward on it and it should come out.

The holes are drilled smaller so the teeth on that piece have something to grab onto.
I use a slide hamer on a long bolt that I made. I've watched, and it works, people take long bolts that have the same thread size as the stud bushing and screw them into them. They then take vice grips and clamp them just under the head of the bolt. Next, they carefully hammer on the vice grips from between the body and the vice grips which will slowly pound the studs out. I can't remember the size threads that are in the stud bushings though. If you take the original studs to a local hardware store, you can see what size nut they will thread into, then just buy a bolt of the same size thread from the nut that the stud screwed into. Just get one that's long. Something like 8" +/- to give clearance for hammering. I have heard of some being able to grab the long bolt you bought with vice grips and wiggle back and forth as you pull up to get them out.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Here's a method I know several luthiers/techs use...And that I've recommended to UGers, and they report back with success.

Drop something like a hard rock, or a small screw into the hole, then screw the bolt in. Keep on screwing it in, and the bushing should pop out.

that could either work, or dent the inside of the guitar/bushing.

id go with the screw and pull technique
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
.....if you learn something new everyday...at least practice. But i did learn a really cool set of blues licks.
heres an idea, stop arguing.

i personally think John's way is less likely to damage the guitar, but the ts can do whatever he wants.
Seems like it would be easier to just buy the sleeves. A whole gotoh bridge with studs and sleeves is 18 bucks.