So what jobs are there in the music industry apart from musician?

Like either in the technical side or business side

Are there any Uni courses on such things

Does anyone here have one? What is it, what do you do, pay so on...
I'm going to be a music teacher. Going to the University of Saskatchewan in '09 to do so.

After 10-15 years of teaching music in a school, I'd REALLY love to open up a school of music that's specifically dedicated to the greatest instruments in the world: Woodwinds and brass.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
i'd really like to be the person that books bands for a good sized club.
the game
instrument tech
tour manager
band manager
luthier
producer
Sound dude
Lighting tech

there are heaps more
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Liberation
I'm going to be a music teacher. Going to the University of Saskatchewan in '09 to do so.

After 10-15 years of teaching music in a school, I'd REALLY love to open up a school of music that's specifically dedicated to the greatest instruments in the world: Woodwinds and brass.

YEAH FOR THE BASSOON!

But anyway, I'd love to be a Front of House Sound Engineer type person, that looks like a ton of fun.

I'm not really into teaching music. I'm all for spreading the joy of music to everyone possible, but I don't think I'd be the one for it.

How about an instrument tech?
Sound engineer - There's one career I intend to pursue. I'm not going to risk my ass out there on leading a band for money.
yea sound engineer looks really good

is there jobs out there?

or is it like a hard workplace to get into?

What would a producer actually do?

so many questions
I want to be a producer but theres no schools were I'm moving so I guess I need help with that
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
I spent like a whole year last year at school learning about different jobs of the music industry but I can't remember all that many lol. Anyway here are some of the ones I remember.

Producer
Sound Engineer
Road Crew
Tech
Driving (buses, trucks etc.)
Teaching
Pyrotechnics
Lighting
Directing
Selling Insruments

There are probably a lot more but I cant think of them at the moment. Hope that helped. Sometimes they have one person or group of people to do the same job, ie. a head roadie who also does lighting and pyrotechnics.
Quote by Teh-Bassman
theres instrument repair

Muffin, that job would fucking suck.
I'm a Music Therapy major.

Which might sound ridiculous, and alot of people used to think it was.

But it's been proven to help some people, and I know a few cases personally where it has helped.

Its essentially using music as a means to reach a different goal with patients.

I personally want to work with teens with emotional disorders.

Or teens and young adults with autism, or other disorders similar which allow them to do very little on their own.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by NaivexLi
I'm a Music Therapy major.

Which might sound ridiculous, and alot of people used to think it was.

But it's been proven to help some people, and I know a few cases personally where it has helped.

Its essentially using music as a means to reach a different goal with patients.

I personally want to work with teens with emotional disorders.

Or teens and young adults with autism, or other disorders similar which allow them to do very little on their own.

Wow.

I have a ton of respect for that. Simply put, music changes lives. I think it's awesome that you've majored in that. Kudos!
There are tons of jobs that you should consider. Here at IU, there are programs for people who wish to be involved with music in a variety of fields. I suggest you search the websites of universities you are considering and see what they have to offer.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Music industry law, ****ing stick it to the riaa
member of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero join. Australians only

Feel the Rhythm...
a rhodey that comes out and does the guitar checks and play a gig for the crowd lol
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...