I've been planning on getting a new Guitar, and when I do I'll probably change out the pickups. I've been thinking of getting an Emg81, but the thing that confuses me is this. When you buy it, then give you a tone and volume knob. If my guitar only has 2 knobs to begin with, when I replace those, how will I control the other pickup on my guitar? I've never really looked at how the pickups are setup on my guitar right now but I assume that Guitars with 2 knobs have volume and tone effect both pickups. So, Huh?
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
2 pickups, 1 vol and 1 tone = each control is a master, controlling both.

2 pickups, 1 vol and 2 tone = vol is a master, each tone is rigged to each pickup

2 pickups, 2 vol and 2 tone = you get the idea

/e: Actually re-reading your post I'm not sure if this is what you're asking. Are you asking how it'd work if you had one active and one passive pickup?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Last edited by Highbinder at Mar 1, 2008,
Just look at the EMG wiring diagrams on their website man.

And by the way, you can't use an EMG(active) at the same time as a passive, only separately. You shouldn't need to take any knobs off, just solder them onto the pots already there.

You probably shouldn't install the pickups yourself if its your first time or if you don't know how to solder.
better idea. save enough money to get a guitar with the EMG's preloaded into it. you'll get a better playing instrument, it'll probably be cheaper in the long run, and guitars that come stock with actives have the easy-open compartment for the battery. i recommend... ESP. they have a lot of guitars with EMG's stock.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Quote by darkfire_storm
better idea. save enough money to get a guitar with the EMG's preloaded into it. you'll get a better playing instrument, it'll probably be cheaper in the long run, and guitars that come stock with actives have the easy-open compartment for the battery. i recommend... ESP. they have a lot of guitars with EMG's stock.

I've been lookin at Ibanezes mostly and the ones that come with Active EMGs seem to cost a buttload and I don't really have that kind of money to throwdown on a guitar, haha. I'd be too afraid to play it anyways if I spent that much on a guitar right now.

Hmm, I hear a lot of rave about EMG81s for Metal, but are there better pickups than this that aren't active pickups that I can match up with another passive?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
I've been lookin at Ibanezes mostly and the ones that come with Active EMGs seem to cost a buttload and I don't really have that kind of money to throwdown on a guitar, haha. I'd be too afraid to play it anyways if I spent that much on a guitar right now.

Hmm, I hear a lot of rave about EMG81s for Metal, but are there better pickups than this that aren't active pickups that I can match up with another passive?

Actives can't be paired together with passives to be used simultaneously. But, you can still use the bridge by itself and the neck by itself.
Quote by rwalby9
Actives can't be paired together with passives to be used simultaneously. But, you can still use the bridge by itself and the neck by itself.

Haha, I guess I'm easily confused. Thanks for clearing that up.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
Haha, I guess I'm easily confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't explain it very well the first time, my bad.

The EMG 81 is very good for metal, its a solid pup.