I was listening to 'Something Wild' by CoB the other day (it was the first time I heard Children Of Bodom) and the riffs in Lake Bodom blew me away! I love the whole neo-classical sort of sound to it, and i love the melodies. Anyone have any tips for writing these sorts of leads?
I can't stand Alexi Laiho, but read in a guitar magazine interview with him that he doesn't use the harmonic minor scale.

He said he wanted to sound different to other shredders of similar genre.

(Sadly, I think he failed because like them he sounds very repetitive and uninventive )
Quote by Geartrigger
Three words, harmonic minor scales.

and Keyboard!
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by Geartrigger
Three words, harmonic minor scales.

yes

use a diminished arpeggio run up based off the VII(diminished) of harmonic minor, then resolve it to to sweeping the Imi chord

seriously its in like every yngwie malmsteen and COB song
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
yes

use a diminished arpeggio run up based off the VII(diminished) of harmonic minor, then resolve it to to sweeping the Imi chord

seriously its in like every yngwie malmsteen and COB song
Building from that, play an E5 A5 (or E Am) thing in the background, then play G# diminished stuff over the E and A harmonic minor over the A.
+1 to what bangoodcharlotte said
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by EZLN libertad

can u explain that arpeggio? i dont get what u mean being a theory noob.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616

Arpeggios are basically just picking the notes of a chord.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
An arpeggio can be played with more than just picking. it just means that the notes are played individually rather than together, though they can ring together. You can use picking, sweeping, legato, tapping, tapped harmonics, or any other technique to play the notes.
formula for diminished: 1 b3 b5 bb7
Quote by beadhangingOne
Better yet, why not learn some classical songs and arrange them for guitar?
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by MadassAlex
Better yet, why not learn some classical pieces and arrange them for guitar?

A better idea would be to just learn as much Neoclassical guitar work as you can and try to put bits of it into your own playing. Learning music theory will help you be able to adapt it to your style, rather than just learning riffs from tablature.
Quote by CowboyUp

My bad. >_<

Quote by CowboyUp
A better idea would be to just learn as much Neoclassical guitar work as you can and try to put bits of it into your own playing. Learning music theory will help you be able to adapt it to your style, rather than just learning riffs from tablature.

I'd argue that there's no better way to be neoclassical than knowing how to be classical in the first place.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by MadassAlex
My bad. >_<

I'd argue that there's no better way to be neoclassical than knowing how to be classical in the first place.

Neoclassical isn't "classical", it's just using some classical styled phrases and techniques in standard rock playing.

Most classical music isn't "riff" based, doesn't have verses and choruses, and is progressive, unlike the vast majority of Neoclassical work.
There are some classical themes on "Something Wild". I'm pretty certain that the riff in Red Light in My Eyes pt. II is a Bach Invention.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by CowboyUp
Neoclassical isn't "classical", it's just using some classical styled phrases and techniques in standard rock playing.

Most classical music isn't "riff" based, doesn't have verses and choruses, and is progressive, unlike the vast majority of Neoclassical work.

That is all true.

But if it worked for Malmsteen, Gilbert and Rhoads, y'know?
Quote by marmoseti
Quote by metallicafan616

If you want to write neoclassical songs you really need to know your theory.