i have a distortion pedal, a overdrive, a chorus, a delay and lastly a wah. can anyone tell me how to arrange these pedals from guitar to amp?
i'm not entirely sure, but i believe that it's pretty much okay in the order you put it. i do know for sure that it's pretty common to put the overdrive/distortion stuff in the beginning of the chain and the wah's at the end.

so, i think it would be: overdrive - distortion - chorus - delay - wah.
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
1st Envelope Filter and Tone Shaping Effects.
These include Auto Wahs and Wah pedals. These effects rely on the dynamics of your guitar tone and should be the first thing you signal sees.

2nd Compression Compression can work well with a variety of different pedals, so best to have it close to the front.

3rd Overdrives, Distortions and Fuzz's
And in that order. If you go from the least amount of drive to the greatest amount of drive you can get some pretty cool combinations. A low gain pedal can be a great solo boost into a higher gain pedal, but the other way around can often spell disaster. There is one major exception to this rule - Germanium Transistor boosters such as Fuzz Faces, Octavias and treble boosters. The nature of the design of these effects means that they don't like to see the buffer from another pedal at the input. They prefer to see the guitar pickup. So if you have one of these type of pedals, best to stick it at the front before any buffers.

4th Modulation Effects
These include chorus, flanger, phasers and tremolos. The specific order of the modulation effects is probably the least important as you rarely use more than one at a time and if you do is more a sound effect than a toneful combination.

5th Delay effects
A good rule of thumb here if you use multiple delay effects is to put your short delay before your long delay. Adding a nice drawn out delay on top of a slap back effect can sound quite cool.

6th and finally Reverb
Technically speaking, reverb is actually a delay effect. Very short delays combined to give the effect of being in an enclosed space. Think about what happens when you shout in a hall. That's the delayed sound of your voice bouncing of the walls. Leaving this effect till last works well with many different combinations including clean and dirty sounds.

Again find the sounds and combinations that work for you.
Wah, Overdrive, Distortion, Chorus, Delay....

There is no technically "right" way, feel free to experiment to get different sound, but the above order, is usually what works best for most...

Wah before everything because it preserves the tone better..

Overdrive before distortion just in case you want to push your distortion with a little overdrive...

Chorus after distortion because you want the chorus effect applied on top and not distorted itself for the clearest sound...

And lastly the delay because it's usually better to capture and delay the signal afterwards so that all of the effects have already been applied and no inconsistancies can be applied to the delayed signal.........
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Shredy_Mc_shred
1st Envelope Filter and Tone Shaping Effects.
These include Auto Wahs and Wah pedals. These effects rely on the dynamics of your guitar tone and should be the first thing you signal sees.

2nd Compression Compression can work well with a variety of different pedals, so best to have it close to the front.

3rd Overdrives, Distortions and Fuzz's
And in that order. If you go from the least amount of drive to the greatest amount of drive you can get some pretty cool combinations. A low gain pedal can be a great solo boost into a higher gain pedal, but the other way around can often spell disaster. There is one major exception to this rule - Germanium Transistor boosters such as Fuzz Faces, Octavias and treble boosters. The nature of the design of these effects means that they don't like to see the buffer from another pedal at the input. They prefer to see the guitar pickup. So if you have one of these type of pedals, best to stick it at the front before any buffers.

4th Modulation Effects
These include chorus, flanger, phasers and tremolos. The specific order of the modulation effects is probably the least important as you rarely use more than one at a time and if you do is more a sound effect than a toneful combination.

5th Delay effects
A good rule of thumb here if you use multiple delay effects is to put your short delay before your long delay. Adding a nice drawn out delay on top of a slap back effect can sound quite cool.

6th and finally Reverb
Technically speaking, reverb is actually a delay effect. Very short delays combined to give the effect of being in an enclosed space. Think about what happens when you shout in a hall. That's the delayed sound of your voice bouncing of the walls. Leaving this effect till last works well with many different combinations including clean and dirty sounds.

Again find the sounds and combinations that work for you.

Thank you for the first excellent explanation on UG. Thanks shredy!!