my band has our first gig coming up in a few weeks and i cant help but feel like im going to get up there and completely bomb. not only bomb but just never want to do it again afterward. i know everybody gets nervous but has anybody had severe fright like this and if so how did your first experience go?
My band is not going up there until we get our 6 songs down TIGHT!!! I mean, play they all 10 times in a row with 90%+ perfection. That's how you kill stage freight, kick the **** out of it with confidence.

if that isn't enough, put a banana in your pants.
i didnt bomb, but i stuffed up
my SECOND performance i bombed majorly
but i didnt care, just dust myself off and try again!
yeh, the first time you go up you'll be scared but after maybe the intro of your first song you'll get into it and start to enjoy it
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Dude i had the biggest stage fright ever. And every thing was going wrong in rehersals and we were so worried that we'd get boo'ed off. But when we got on there it all came together and it was so tight and my solo was perfect. My point is that if this is what your meant to do it will all happen how it should =] Im sorry i know that doesnt help and probably just adds to your insecurites =[ My bad.
just pretend the audience is all wearing I ♥ *insert your band name* tshirts
yeah, we've got our set down pretty tight but even that doesn't keep me from feeling sick in my stomach thinking about it. i have heard that once you get into your set those feeling start to fade and you just get the rush of being in front of all those people. at least thats what i hope happens
One tip. Don't get drunk, just smoke crack.

No. Seriously, just perform, man. The biggest advice I can give is not to stop if you **** up. Keep going at all costs. It's your first show and nobody in the audience could care less about you. If you're that worried then wear a mask or something. Or if you don't wear a mask and you bomb, just wear one next time.

All you have to focus on is locking in with your band and rocking hard. If you do that, then the audience will get into it. Or if they don't, then at worst you'll probably just get a feeling of apathy.

NOBODY WILL THROW BOTTLES AT YOU!!!!!!!!
two night ago i played my second show
our first one didnt rly count though..
anyways.
we all were really busy for the last 3 months, so to prepare for the show we had 3 practices.
and we practiced an hour before the show too. we were freaking out, changing keys all over the place, changing notes, rythems and as a result the rehersal sounded terrible. we decided to go out there and do the best we could, no matter how bad we do cause its all a life experience. so we wetn out there, and EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT. none of us know how we did it, but we did. and yes, right after the intro of the first song, i forgot that there even was an audience. the rush i got though was awesome
Man I was absolutely packin it when I did my first show, I got out there and we started playing purple haze which is really easy and we'd nailed it a million times in practice, anyway when I tried to play the intro my hand was just shaking really badly so I hit all these bum notes and it sounded terrible the shaking hands and legs went for all of that song, but after that I relaxed stopped shaking and being **** scared and just had a great time, and I loved it
HI
on my first gig I did completely bomb, but i was so drunk I didn't care, and I still got have sex with some random girl in the bathroom of the venue.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
my first gig is coming up in like 2 days, but as long as you do well in practice, its fine. its like practice but with your friends watching you. you get friends to watch you practice all the time dont you?
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
on my first gig I did completely bomb, but i was so drunk I didn't care, and I still got have sex with some random girl in the bathroom of the venue.

=win
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
I'm nervous before the we start playing, but when we begin I feel fine..

But i've only played small gigs
Your first gig ever, your going to suck, im sorry its the nicest way to put it. You wont go out and put on a kick arse show or anything, everyone is going to suck the first time, realise that. What you should also realise, people arnt going to tease you unless you bomb really, really bad (eg. you cant finish your songs, or you are really really horrible). Sure some dicks might, but if they do either say a. Well I dont see you preforming, or if they are musicians b. Well I remember you sucked pretty bad first time you preformed. Look its a fact of life your first preformance isnt going to be good, just get the songs down solid, go out and play them and do the best you can, normally once your up there it isnt to bad.
Quote by slayer_zero
my first gig is coming up in like 2 days, but as long as you do well in practice, its fine. its like practice but with your friends watching you. you get friends to watch you practice all the time dont you?

yeah we've had friends over to watch us play before, and i did fine then. but one time our lead singer brought a couple of people he met from AA over and for some reason me and the rest of the band sounded like ****. so that didn't do much for my confidence in us.
Have a few drinks before hand, not enough to get drunk but just enough to raise your confidence abit
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Had my first gig a week ago at a talent show, we played Paranoid. My hands shaked like hell so the intro sounded crap. I also started the rhythm section to early and chickened out at the solo and just kept playing the rhythm. But people said it sounded okay.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
I had no troubles playing my first gig, screwed up one solo though.
But it was nice overal, it will go fine.
yea i think its only natural to think 'o im ****ting it, im gonna be so nervous and mess up' but as someone above said, after half the first song it all goes and you just dont really care....and yea i would say thats another really important thing, if you do bugger up, just carry on....thats the worse thing you can do...just stop dead.

good luck matey im sure it will all be gravy
i know a guy who's an amazing actor, but gets horrible stage fright. he played Macbeth in Macbeth last year, and was shaking before every show. i'm pretty sure he used some sort of meditation thing to calm down. you could try that.

i've been nervous before, but not stage frightened. i was at one point, but you get over it after performing something a few times.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by touji-za-nai
My band is not going up there until we get our 6 songs down TIGHT!!! I mean, play they all 10 times in a row with 90%+ perfection. That's how you kill stage freight, kick the **** out of it with confidence.

if that isn't enough, put a banana in your pants.

Songs need to be perfect, this way during your gig the songs will be 90-95% right
And when you start playing you'll loose the fright, and after some gigs you'll loose it completely.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Just practice all the song s you're playing because lack of confidence usually stems from not having the songs down pat... if you think that the songs are fine just dont think about the gig as much as you ccan...if you completly bomb it the world wont come to an end...
if i can get the video of my first (nightmare) gig on the computer and post it no one on UG will ever have stage fright again because nothing can compare to wat happened to me.
Quote by cortez0

And when you start playing you'll loose the fright, and after some gigs you'll loose it completely.

+1

My first show, I was nervous at first, but then i got really into it as we went through our set. All subsequent performances, I was too excited to be nervous.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
1st response knows what he's talking about. Specially about the banana part.

And just remember, that if you go out there and make a fool out of yourself, it's going to be worse than screwing up while you play. So don't worry, and unless you go out of rhythm, nobody's gonna notice if you screw up.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||