I've been playing guitar for a little over a year, maybe a year and a half, and I'm just now starting to get good at alternate picking down.

I'm wondering how long did it take others to get alternate picking down?

Also, could anyone help me on how to deal with riffs where the number of times you pick a string is really weird, to the point where it throws the rhythm of alternate picking off?
(e.g. 4 picks on B, 4 picks on G)
I got alternate picking down after about 1 year of playing.
A practice that helped me was going up the pentatonic scale and picking each note 4 times with alternate picking. Once you have nailed that, play all the notes 2 times with alternate picking. Then finally you should be able to do alternate picking all the way down the scale properly. Its just a little exercise that helped me progress.
Quote by pain-killer
i actually got it in about 1 or 2 weeks

I think he means how long had you been playing before you got alternate picking down.
It took me about a week but I had been playing for roughly that long before it occured to me.
Quote by pain-killer
i actually got it in about 1 or 2 weeks

Haha, good on you! when I first started guitar the first song I learnt was Bat Country by Avenged Sevenfold (back when I thought Synyster was a god) and the 55555555 66666666 0000000000000000 bit of it really got my alternate picking fast

And also the alternate picking exercise my former teacher gave me.
Depends to what degree counts as it "down" i started with alternate picking because i learned from a book and it taught me to alternate pick straight away. I'm still working on it all the time and also trying some fast down picking which comes in handy for chunky rhythm. I'd say it took me about 10 hours to grasp the basics to it but months to actually implement the technique in riffs properly.
About 2 months for alternate picking, 4 for economy.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by XianXiuHong
Haha, good on you! when I first started guitar the first song I learnt was Bat Country by Avenged Sevenfold (back when I thought Synyster was a god) and the 55555555 66666666 0000000000000000 bit of it really got my alternate picking fast

And also the alternate picking exercise my former teacher gave me.

same here
That was my first experience of fast alternate picking.
That was about when I'd been playing for a year.
My guitar teacher always stopped me if I wasn't alt picking so I got it down really fast. Probably in the first couple months of playing.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()