I got a question. What makes a song or a musical piece sound "romantic?"

Is it the design of the musical piece? The chord progression? The tempo?

NOTE:
I tried the search bar and found nothing. If I posted in the wrong place, tell me where I can post.
Hmm.

I'd imagine it's mostly the chord progression and the tempo. Perhaps almost a waltz tempo with some tremelo guitar and violins? That would sound romantic to me I guess.

Richard Hawley - Coles Corner, is a good example of how to evoke romance from music. In my opinion.
I'm assuming you're talking about romantic as in about love and not romantic as in the period of classical music.

It's generally the tempo (usually slower-paced), the strum pattern, and the chord progression. The chord progressions are usually pretty simple in my experience, and you don't want to use many minor chords unless you want some tension in a part of the song.
The medium is the message!
It's a good idea to put the melody in a minor scale for that feeling when you're with a girl... Preferably D minor... It sounds melancholic with some melodies, but it's also a real "goosebump maker", and I think it's perfect for romantic melodies... The tempo should be between 90 and 130bpm... There, that would be all from me Give it a try!
We are blind to the worlds within us... Waiting to be born...
Thanks guys. I was wondering because there were some songs that I listened to that was about 130bpm but sounded romantic and also, whenever I put my capo on the 4th fret on my guitar (E standard tuning), open chords sound kinda airy, sweet and generally pleasant to the ear.
Quote by The Rambler
I'm assuming you're talking about romantic as in about love and not romantic as in the period of classical music.

It's generally the tempo (usually slower-paced), the strum pattern, and the chord progression. The chord progressions are usually pretty simple in my experience, and you don't want to use many minor chords unless you want some tension in a part of the song.

that was the first thing that came to mind, romantic period classical music
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
I suggest using the E clusterfuck m7b5 chord.

Canon is D is played at a lot of weddings and has been ripped off for countless pop/rock love songs. The progression goes D A Bm F#m G D G A.

Here's something I wrote, loosely based on that: D A Bm G D A G Gm. I give you permission to use it (you can't actually copyright chord progressions, at least not in the USA). Without going into the theory, the chromatic Gm chord provides some nice tension leading back to the D at the beginning.
Romantic music uses plenty of legato, but doesn't forget about portato or staccato playing. It's also very dynamic, unlike the earlier baroque and later popular music.

I can't really say more than that, since romantic as a style is very subjective.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
traditionally 3rds and 6ths were seen as romantic intervals ,
4ths and 5ths were seen as more colder and baron ,
and 2nds and 7ths as dissonant .
by adding 6ths to a chord progression you can easily "sweeten " it , by adding 2nds (9ths ) or 7ths you can add a "bitterness " in there .

Take these chords C , Am , F , G

then add some 6ths .
C6,C,Am,F,F6,G6,G (sweet version )
add some 9ths and 7th = (bittersweet )

Cadd9 C,Cmaj7,C6
Am add9,Am,Am7,Am6,
F,Fsus2,FMAJ9,F 6/9
G,Gsus4,G,G7
C

great question btw , im sure there are many answers .
Damien Redmond - "Grade 8 electric guitar" -"Grade 5 theory "
"Licentiate Diploma of the London college of music "
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I give you permission to use it (you can't actually copyright chord progressions, at least not in the USA).

there's a country....where you can...copyright chord progressions? sorry sorry, off topic.

Pachelbel...that poppy punk. I think the violin makes that song so "romantic". I don't know about romantic chord progressions. And when I say I don't know, I mean, I don't know.

Most of Chopin I think sounds romantic without a violin. I wonder what his progressions are like.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
there's a country....where you can...copyright chord progressions? sorry sorry, off topic.

Not that I know of.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.