OK so as i said, im going to be getting a new amp and a new guitar.

I will pay no more than $4000 for the guitar and no more than $5000 for the amp.

My influences are METAL. Trivium, Pantera and Metallica. (Mostly Trivium)

What should i be looking at for the desire of the HEAVY SICK AS metal sound, what amp and what guitar. I just want a general idea.

Thanks guys.
I play guitar =]
Are you from Australia? Because if you're from the US, you're gonna get pretty much whatever you want.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
well... alot of bands use the peavey 6505. a mesa triple rectifier would also be good. an engl invader or powerball. a krank revolution. any of those would get some serious metal tone.
ENGL Powerball for an amp. Get whatever high end guitar takes your fancy (Or, buy 100 cheap ones).
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Im from australia.

Nah it aint my first guitar, i just want to get your guys opinions. I have a Gibson SG lol, but thats sucky for metal.
I play guitar =]
Guitar, get a nice USA Jackson or ESP
Amp, ENGL Powerball or Invader
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Mar 1, 2008,
Well, Trivium arnt really METAL they're metalcore with a exception to their new album. Idk what the hell that classifys as but it sucks so who cares. Get a Ibanez or Esp. You have alot to spend on those so they'll do the job or since you're more old school aswell maybe a Gibson V or explorer etc.

Pff amp um well it's your choice dude, it's your sound. Try out some stuff, look on ebay for a cheaper one even. Peavey 5105 or a Marshall jcm800 or something i dunno. You'll really have to try out alot for that sound but those two do metallica etc well. Marshall will cover you for nearly all those metal desires. Personally i don't like them myself i bought a newer age sounding amp for different reasons, but as i said try out ****.
get a Krank amp, as for guitar, get a USA Jackson, or high end ESP as most people are saying, but for 5000 you could get a custom shop guitar
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
something for metal... you should take a look Dean Guitars
http://www.deanguitars.com/electrics.htm
especially the Dimebag Darrell line
http://www.deanguitars.com/electrics.htm#dimebag

yeah... for amps I dont know but i'd say either a Krank Krankenstein (Dimebags signature)
http://www.krankamps.com/Dime/dimeamp.aspx
or the Marshall 2203KK (Kerry Kings signature)
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=2203KK

those should all be within your budget
Bassist: BC Rich Warlock (Platinium)

I'm a lefty

Killing is so much easier than forgiving... So much more fun too
Amp- Bogner Uberschall,Mesa Dual or triple Rectifier Peavy 5150 or 6050, Marshall JCM800 etc

Guitar- High end Ibanez RG or S series, Jackson or ESP or similar with EMGs or blackouts. basically take your pick from the top brands associated with metal
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
amp: custom build Mesa Boogie Mark IV or Triple Rectifier.
guitar: Ibanez, ESP or Jackson.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
I second the Krank amp, and either an Ibanez, or a custom Dimebag Darrel guitar, looks sick and is very good for metal
I agree with an above poster. Living in US, you can pretty much get whatever you want. However, with that much money, you want to spend it carefully. Do not look at just brand names in guitars and amps. The Peavey 5150 is great for a 1000 dollar amp, sure, but for a tone monster, you can do much better. Look into high end... Rivera, Diezel, Elmwood, for example. These are just a few of extremely high end amps with amazing rhythm and leads.
Also, make sure you have enough left over for a RACK setup, which will dramatically change your sound for the better, and if you like you can mix and match preamps and poweramps instead of buying a fully made amplifier.

As for guitars, do the same. A high end ESP may do it for you, but the obscure may do it better. Mayones (excellent), LAG, Vigier, Warmoth (for your own custom made creation), and my favorite, Caparison.

Pickups also affect your sound greatly. I would take a look into Bareknuckle pickups. I have a few sets, and they are amazing (If you like passives, if you like actives, look into the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, and EMGs, the Blackouts are supposedly great)

Do not part with your money so easily. Those are very personal areas, and it would do good to do as much investigation and playing as possible. Do not forget about the expenses after. You will need to have any guitar you get set up exactly the way you want it if you can't do it yourself, and of course, you are going to need to take care of your equipment...

EDIT: Here is some advice on brand names:
Mesa Boogies: can break down, and are extremely hard for some to dial the settings in, but are easy to maintain.
Krank: absolutely the most inconsistent brand I have ever played. They sound like absolute garbage sometimes, and sometimes they are alright. I wouldn't put my money here ever
Peavey: Some sound great for the price, but needs a bias setup. Loads of unusable gain, and you are best buying an old 5150 for cheap. So honestly, because of what you are looking for, don't even bother with this.
ENGL: Engl's are good, but sound very compressed, excluding the Blackmore and the Savage. Take a look into them. I wasn't very happy with them, but you may be...
ISP: The most necessary item in any guitarists Rig comes from this company. It's a pretty much transparent noise gate for the rack. One of my favorites. To get the most of your amp look into this.
Ibanez: They put out an amazing low end product but they're high end is not great and not as good as other brands. Plus, for metal, Ibanez's may have a tone thats lacking.
ESP: Very, very expensive guitars that are great. They're custom shop will do nearly anything for you if you pay. Cost to quality ratio? Its alright I guess. But if you really need something absolutely custom made, its for you.
Dean: They make very great high end guitars. I wouldn't just look in the Dime line though.
Jackson: The old school Jacksons were famous for a reason. They are amazing. Getting your hands on one may be a problem though. For their newer guitars. They are alright but are blown away by the old ones. Especially the great Jackson Fusions. Careful ordering from the custom shop though, my friends have had a few problems with them, like a paintjob that was incorrect!
Marshall: They used to make great amps, and they're sound quality hasn't really changed. But the construction is very questionable. I mean, plastic jacks? The JCM 800 is one worth looking at.
Rivera: A great american company who refuses to put out a poor product. Look into the K-Tre. With the small amount spent, you could get another amp and effectively remove your GAS forever!
Last edited by GuardianofBlind at Mar 1, 2008,
buy a Caparison guitar...aaaaand...lets say...triple rec or 5150 for the amp

get yo metal on
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
i would go for a mesa, diezel, VHT or engl for the amp
and a esp eclipse for the guitar
Quote by ItDiesToday321
well... alot of bands use the peavey 6505. a mesa triple rectifier would also be good. an engl invader or powerball. a krank revolution. any of those would get some serious metal tone.

at his price range i wouldnt recommend the 6505. he could do much better - maybe try some ENGLs or Mesas if ur in america, TS
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by thepatient001
Well, Trivium arnt really METAL they're metalcore with a exception to their new album. Idk what the hell that classifys as but it sucks so who cares. Get a Ibanez or Esp. You have alot to spend on those so they'll do the job or since you're more old school aswell maybe a Gibson V or explorer etc.

Pff amp um well it's your choice dude, it's your sound. Try out some stuff, look on ebay for a cheaper one even. Peavey 5105 or a Marshall jcm800 or something i dunno. You'll really have to try out alot for that sound but those two do metallica etc well. Marshall will cover you for nearly all those metal desires. Personally i don't like them myself i bought a newer age sounding amp for different reasons, but as i said try out ****.

They are classified as crap.

Go for a Peavey 6505 and get a nice guitar like a Schecter Hellraiser if you can afford it still.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
i'd get a custom-built guitar and bogner/diezel/soldano/engl se/vht/brunetti or similar.

if they're within budget in australia.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This thread is full of good ideas, but consider this...you have 9 GRAND to spend, apparently. At that price point, gear is extremely customizable. You need to get off UG, and play play play every amp and guitar you can get your hands on. I feel like I say that alot, but it's bloody true in this case.

Also, a Gibby SG does not suck for metal. You're silly.