Page 1 of 2
I know, this has been done before but I wanted an updated opinion.

In the terms of quality, playability, sound and price value, which guitars are better

Jackson or ESP?

feel free to discuss and please NO FLAMING I don't want this to turn into a pissing contest.

Semper Fi
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
oh yeah?

*pisses*

beat that!

lol.

seriously, what do you think?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
no vs threads

i have a jackson and that powns
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
I'd say that ESP probably use better materials, but Jacksons are prbably better value for money. As for pickups, ESP mainly use EMG and JAckson use quite a varied range. It depends on what price range you're looking at. the lower-end Jacksons certainly aren't as good as the lower-end ESPs but they're about even in the mid-price range (£1000-2000)
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
They're like the Fender vs Gibson of Metal guitars!

ESPs appeal to me a lot more than Jacksons.
While Jackson are great guitars, I tend to throw them in with Ibanezes though....

ESPs also seem to have a lot of integrity in the way they present themselves and their guitars.

My next guitar will probably be an ESP LTD MH-250
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
I don't care about the price and this really isn't a Vs thread, I just want everyone's opinion on what brand they like and why. Just food for thought.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
I prefer Jacksons as some of their lower end models come with Seymour duncans!!

Generally I think ESP hasn't come up with one true original idea yet.
Quote by MoleMania
I prefer Jacksons as some of their lower end models come with Seymour duncans!!

Generally I think ESP hasn't come up with one true original idea yet.

i dont like esp but the eclipses are actually prety good
Last edited by ironman1478 at Mar 1, 2008,
Both have some really nice guitars, but if I would prefer ESP over Jackson. I've even played on some ESP LTDs that were really nice.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
if you think of the LTD as the epiphone of ESP i really think yuor wrong.

ive only played LTD models and they were some of the best feeling guitars ive ever playwed the neck is really comfortable (thogh i coudnlt really properly play the EC series since Im so used to an SG neck at this point, but the viper was really natural as well)

ive only tried a few jackson and of them only one really appealed to me, so i think id go with ESP here.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Depends on what guitar you want. Don't just trust that the name will change the quality and value of all of the guitars within that company. But overall even though if you want good one it's going to cost you a bit I would say Esp/Ltd.
I Like Cake
Jackson uses alder and mohagony wood and low to even mid range LTD guitars use Agithis wood This make it abvious to me that Jackson's are hands down better
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Jackson uses alder and mohagony wood and low to even mid range LTD guitars use Agithis wood This make it abvious to me that Jackson's are hands down better

You aren't looking at the whole picture, and your grammar and spelling are atrocious. Jackson may offer better low to mid range guitars, as they are made with quality woods, and come with nice pickups, unlike the ESP/LTD low to midrange, but ESP/LTD's mid to high end guitars bend the Jacksons over and rape them in the ass like Mr. Hands.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by seizetheday1103
jackson. i love my dinky

ESP. I love my EC-1000. See? I can do that too. If you aren't going to make a point, don't say anything.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Jackson's imports are built better and built of better woods. ESP (not LTDs) are more consistent than USA Jacksons. ESP has copied Jackson's nearly all of Jacksons line. Thats about how it breaks down for me.

Quote by poopsmith666
You aren't looking at the whole picture, and your grammar and spelling are atrocious. Jackson may offer better low to mid range guitars, as they are made with quality woods, and come with nice pickups, unlike the ESP/LTD low to midrange, but ESP/LTD's mid to high end guitars bend the Jacksons over and rape them in the ass like Mr. Hands.

And how are they better? Sound and playability don't count as they are subjective. You could argue though Jacksons comparable models are better due to beign MIJ and having hand-shaped necks.
i`ve only had experiance with the lower end models but i`d have to say ESP, my nephew just got a used Explorer EX-50 it was pretty amazing being a low crappy model, if the low end is that good i`d love to get my hands on a high end ESP.

i`m deff. gonna start looking into ESP / LTD`s if i don`t get the WMD Warbeast.
I like ESP better. With Jackson (a little bit of an exagerration) you really only get a choice of a high-end super strat with a trem or a low end super strat with a trem. ESP's offer more variety in guitars but they are USUALLY mostly useful for metal.
i like them both

i have a kv2 and an sv standard, and tbh i play both of them almost equally.

fret buzz is a small problem with the ESP tho. not alot, but more than the jackson for sure.

ive heard jackson has weaker truss rods, but ive yet to see that.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Yeah thats what I've heard too. I heard that ESPs where more "road worthy" than Jackson's because of stronger necks and construction.

Just wonering why so many people (George Lynch, Alexi Lahio, Michael Wilton and Dave Mustaine for a few) suddenly switched over from Jackson to ESP and haven't gone back.

Many people think this is because of Fender's takeover but alot of the switching started before Jackson hooked up with Fender.

Just wondering.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
I don't care about the price and this really isn't a Vs thread, I just want everyone's opinion on what brand they like and why. Just food for thought.

Thread name Jackson Vs. Esp

Sorry i laughed a bit about that one so i had to post about it...

And my opinion is i hate jackson for the most part. My first guitar was a Jackson yes a cheap one because it was my first guitar but still it made me not like there design or feel. Neck is to bulk and i dont like there headstock design.... Sure the body and everything else i like but hell thats pretty much the same on any Jackson, Ibanez, ESP guitar. The feel is in the neck and then throw in some good looks...
For whats it worth, I hate people who judge a company on one cheap guitar or on guitar they played having not played any others by the other company.
Quote by stonyman65
Yeah thats what I've heard too. I heard that ESPs where more "road worthy" than Jackson's because of stronger necks and construction.

Just wonering why so many people (George Lynch, Alexi Lahio, Michael Wilton and Dave Mustaine for a few) suddenly switched over from Jackson to ESP and haven't gone back.

Many people think this is because of Fender's takeover but alot of the switching started before Jackson hooked up with Fender.

Just wondering.

Because they are getting a bigger paycheck? Maybe.

It's a stupid discussion, And it never gets anywhere. All companies have some good guitars and some bad guitars. And some people might like the feel of certain guitars that others despise.

I personally like them both, I love Jackson's Vs because there are just a few ESP/LTD Vs available in north America. But ESP/LTD LP shaped guitars are amazing.

So basically I love them both equally, But It's just my personal thoughts and likings
Quote by CJRocker
For whats it worth, I hate people who judge a company on one cheap guitar or on guitar they played having not played any others by the other company.

Actually i've played the expensive ones... Been up to Guitar Center, other places more then a few occasions.. I was looking at a Jackson DKMG for the longest until i got ahold of Ibanez and loved how the neck felt... Then i got to get ahold of some ESP and there a little bulker then the Ibanez but still feel great. I hate Gibsons, Normal Deans and im still so so on the Shecters and the Razorbacks because of the V neck.... I've played them all pretty much.. Sorry should have listed that in more detail was just throwing out that i have even owned a Jackson before i got flamed for not liking them.. But i got flamed anyway... lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 1, 2008,
Quote by stonyman65

Just wondering.

because jackson wouldnt give them signature guitars. if it werent for jackson guitars, there would never be kramer, esp, ibanez, and many other brands of guitars. esp is a knockoff of jacksons. look at every guitar except the eclipse and you will see they copied most of them(except the v's but the esp v's are atrocious)
to me this thread is BS, ver opioninated and subjective. you cant compar two companies becuase they both ahve differnent feels and other things... but in any case i will voice mine. I enjoy both companies but i find Jackson more APPEALING (underline that word) to me. I own a Jackson DXMG MG series, swapped out the EMG-HZ (muddy pieces of garbage) for the seymour duncan JB series and till this day I honestly believe i still have not played a better guitar. but thats the guitar i own so ofourse im goign to say jackson. But when i did try out the EC-1000 throught a marshall JCm stack i was blown away. intense sound and awesome squaling pinches. i would say that jacksons would appeal more to the aspiring musician then the signed ones considering that the cheaper guitars from jacksons would (possibly) sound and feel better then the ESPS.
so im thinking of getting either an ESP ex-400 or a Jackson DK2M Dinky?
which one would be better for playing tech-metal or death metal?
Realistically you can't compare one brand's entire line of guitars with another's and say one is better, I don't think it works that way generally.

I had a Jackson WRMG Warrior and it was so terribly built that I ended up just selling the parts in it.. may have just been a dud, but it ruined Jackson for me. And I absolutely hated the bolt-on neck.

I now have an ESP LTD AL-600 which I got for $700, less than the Jackson and I had an EMG 81 installed so they'd have the same bridge, and the Alexi not only plays better in every way but its built better and sounds better.

So, reading that you'd think I'd say ESP right away but I think because of my experience with that Jackson Warrior my opinion is far too biased to even take into consideration.

I highly disagree with people that say "ESP took all of Jackson's line". If they had half a brain, they'd know that the majority of the artists they sign for signature models have the artist play a big role in designing their sig's. For example, Alexi played a Jackson RR before he went to ESP, and he would have stayed with Jackson had they been able to get him guitars before his tour, but they couldn't. It shouldn't surprise anyone that his ESP signature is extremely close to an RR, because he designed it to be like his old RR guitars. I also doubt many people here that said one brand have played a nice guitar from the other.

So, this thread is bull****. Way too biased on just about all ends.
Jacksons are better in the Low-Mid Priced guitars. They sacrifice looks and features liek neck thru for good wood, good pickups, and good necks As does Fender (highway 1). ESPs lower end uses crap woods.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-M200FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516679
heres a good example of what i dont like about ESP, So its got a neck thru body, good, Licenced Floyd, also good. Agathis Body??? LH picckups??? now i dont understand why someone would want to pay that much for a guitar with an agathis body especially when its something they cant change. The higher end models i dont know about because i havent played a real ESP, but ive loved pretty much all jacksons ive played. Actually my friend has a 3000 dollar custom soloist that i wanst so fond of, it had sharp frets and wasnt well built for the price. ive heard nothing but good things on ESPs Custom Shop.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by sum_ugly_man

That may be true but Alexi laiho switched because all of his guitars got stolen and he needed some knew ones but when he went to jackson they told him 8 months until they can get him one and the he went to esp and they said two so he told jackson to go **** themselves and changed to esp and got a signature in the process
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by sum_ugly_man

It's a stupid discussion, And it never gets anywhere. All companies have some good guitars and some bad guitars. And some people might like the feel of certain guitars that others despise.

I personally like them both, I love Jackson's Vs because there are just a few ESP/LTD Vs available in north America. But ESP/LTD LP shaped guitars are amazing.

So basically I love them both equally, But It's just my personal thoughts and likings

Yeah they are being payed through the nose and get alot of free guitars while jacksong gives you 5 guitars and no money.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
im definitely a bigger fan of jackson
the esp's that i have played have really been sub par. especially the eclipses.
the ltd's that i have tried with the exception of the mh 400 have all been extremely sub par.
heres how it breaks down for me:

low end ESPs: crap; they use ****ty woods, ****ty pups, and generally suck.

low end jacksons: very good for the money generally. good woods, nice pups, decent trems...not so flashy, which is a good thing, because cheap flashy looks like **** (ie Hellraisers...lol..abalone??comon)

high end jacksons and ESP (not LTD): opinions vary. ESP is a lot more consistent, but when you take it to the custom shop level they both deliver equally IMO.

my KV2 has no flaws so I dont really care about consistency
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
i like esp
i played a low end ex 260
and i liked it alot
i dont really like jacksons other than the rhoads and the warrior
Page 1 of 2