I have a university interview soon, in which I have to audition, playing 3 pieces of music, two of which they have sent to me through the post.

I have to choose a piece myself to play for them. Unfortunately, I have kind of been neglecting my guitar recently, what with work and college and girlfriend etc. I've still been playing obviously, but I am not as tight as I used to be.

Can anyone recommend something that would impress and show a good playing ability? I have a few ideas myself, but I wanted to see what the Pit would recommend. No metal, though, I don't like metal
There is poetry in despair.
Yes, yes it would. Sorry.

I like a varied taste, from post hardcore to classical. So really any recommendation, I just don't want to play metal. Or classical gas.
Quote by fridge_raider
Yes, yes it would. Sorry.

I like a varied taste, from post hardcore to classical. So really any recommendation, I just don't want to play metal. Or classical gas.

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Something by Martin Simpson if you can stand it, I mean, he is excellent, I just dont like his music as a whole. You could also play something by Dream Theatre to really impress them.
play some RHCP.

Or one of Opeth's off Damnation. Windowpane maybe?
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Angelina or The Hunt by Tommy Emmanuel

Animate-Inanimate by John Petrucci (Just try and nail the middle fast section!)
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

little wing
SRV's version.

would they be impressed by an improv?

get a backing track and play your ass off?
Mark Antoine - Madrid

It's not really hard at all, but the feel is absolutely amazing! I picked it out by ear and you'll have to do the same since are no tabs/sheet music.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Basically I want to do something that is a cohesive whole, like a song or piece rather than just a guitar solo, if that makes sense.
The first and foremost deciding factor is what is the school looking for? Are they classical oriented? Jazz oriented? Musically conservative/liberal? Etc.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well, it isn't a traditional music course, it's a music technology and recording course. But they still want applicants to be competent on their instrument.
u shuld so ply Bolevard of teh broken dreamz. Its so hrd to pley.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
^ I don't know if my playing skills could stretch to that , to be honest.
Its obvious that you should go with RAINING BLOOOOOOOOOD
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Erotomania by Dream Theater
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.