Hi
im new to the fourm
im practicing some songs that require fast down picking (A Dozen Furies - An Idea And Some Rope)
the problem that i cant make more than 3 fast down strokes !

any suggestions ?
practice, and learn to alternate pick
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
pick one note / string down, pick the next one up, pick next one down, pick next one up

so on
Alternate picking is the way to go. It might take a little practice, but in the end, you can't rely on down strokes all the time.
Signature
Down picking is about stamina; play as fast as you can for as long as you can until you get tired then shake it out and do it again, rinse and repeat and over the course of a few months you should see definite improvement.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
dont be a metallica, ALTERNATE PICK. PICK UP AND DOWN.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
Quote by Manjinken
dont be a metallica, ALTERNATE PICK. PICK UP AND DOWN.

lmao have u heard n e metallica?.....battery, four horsemen, hit the lights, they made the gallop famous....
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
Quote by blayzin420
lmao have u heard n e metallica?.....battery, four horsemen, hit the lights, they made the gallop famous....

ive never heard metallica in my life. as a matter of fact who are they? I just said a random sentence about a band i didnt know existed and certainly never heard or knew anything about. my joke WASNT a reference to one of their songs because how would i know it if i havent heard them.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
though alternate picking is a great way you still need to practice it to make it sound right, if you listen to "belly of the beast" - anthrax it is almost all down strokes, though i play it alternate picking it sounds way better when you down stroke it. it is just more exhausting, but woth it if you can pull it off. just keep practicing it and you should have it.
The only way to build speed with anything is by practicing. There is no real magic trick, especially with downpicking, since its just a simple motion that your hand must get used to doing at high speeds.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by blayzin420

i'd say that was iron maiden, buddy.

anyway, it's stupid to say that you should only alternate pick. Down picking a riff and alternate picking a riff make that same riff sound completely different. Depending on the song, down picking could be the better option.
yea sometime down picking sounds diffrent from alternate picking m any ways thx for passing by all of you
Quote by Spamwise
Uh...why would you want to do all up picking?

To end up with a picking technique as solid as Paul Gilbert? I don't know, tonal options?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've never heard paul gilbert recommend doing just up picking before. I've heard him say to start with an up pick instead of a down pick to vary it up, but never strictly up pick.
Quote by Spamwise
I've never heard paul gilbert recommend doing just up picking before. I've heard him say to start with an up pick instead of a down pick to vary it up, but never strictly up pick.

I was referring more to the fact that on at least one occasion he has said that for a while he did nothing but up-strokes out of ignorance; that must have had some kind of effect on his ability to play upstrokes well.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.