i was watching some video on how someone replicated a frankenstine, and i noticed they filled in a large cavity with putty, or sometihng similar. My question is, is this only cosmetic, or can this affect tone? if it does affect tone, what is the easiest way to do this?

thanks
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
yea,m but that doesnt answer my tonality question. thanks though.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
I think this would effect the tone but I am not sure if it would effect it very much or enough for someone to actually notice the difference. The filler or putty would not transfer the energy (vibrations) through it like the wood. If I was going to fill a cavity I would cut a piece of wood to the perfect size. It would be preferable to use exactly the same wood and it would be very time consuming but I would glue it in place and sand it down so it is almost perfect with the grain in the same direction. Another thing that might happen with filler/putty is that over time the wood may expand or contract at a different rate to the wood and small cracks may develop.

Alfie
Last edited by RockinAlfie at Mar 1, 2008,
Minimal tonal difference I would imagine.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by RockinAlfie
I think this would effect the tone but I am not sure if it would effect it very much or enough for someone to actually notice the difference. The filler or putty would not transfer the energy (vibrations) through it like the wood. If I was going to fill a cavity I would cut a piece of wood to the perfect size. It would be preferable to use exactly the same wood and it would be very time consuming but I would glue it in place and sand it down so it is almost perfect with the grain in the same direction. Another thing that might happen with filler/putty is that over time the wood may expand or contract at a different rate to the wood and small cracks may develop.

Alfie

okay.

the thing is, A, i tihnk its plywood, though im not positive. and so if i was to fill it with a block, id use mahogany or basswood(tohugh i dont think it would really matter, based on the response). B, i do intend to paint over it, so, that may reduce some cracking, right?
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.