so heres what im trying to do. lets list all the amps that are good for metal that are within the $1000-2000 price range (tube of course, new or used). maybe ill find something i like within in this list but mostly just a reference for others cuz im nice

heres what i can get off the top of my head:

Peavey 6505/5150
Mesa Boogie Rectifiers
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Road King
Engl Fireball
Engl Powerball
Engl Blackmore sig
VHT Deliverance
Randall MTS
Egnater MOD100/50
Soldano Avenger
Splawn Nitro
Splawn Quick Rod
Splawn Pro Mod
Splawn Pro Stock
Hughes and Kettner Warp X
Krank Krankenstein /+
Krank Revolution /+
Genz Benz El Diablo 100?
Madison Divinity
Rivera K-tre

yeah that's all i got. i love lists. they are the greatest of all references lol. and u cant find a website that has a complete list of amps for just guitar. harmony central has one but it includes guitar and bass plus the manufacturers of the actual guitars and basses as well as a bunch of modding, customizing people.

anyways when you make a post could you please copy this list and add your entry into it so that people dont have to scroll up and down to get the complete list.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Hmm... I have to think about this. How about a Framus Cobra/Dragon/something else I forgot from Framus

Peavey 6505/5150
Mesa Boogie Rectifiers
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Road King
Engl Fireball
Engl Powerball
Engl Blackmore sig
VHT Deliverance
Randall MTS
Egnater MOD100/50
Soldano Avenger
Splawn Nitro
Splawn Quick Rod
Splawn Pro Mod
Splawn Pro Stock
Krank Krankenstein /+
Krank Revolution /+
Genz Benz El Diablo 100?
Madison Divinity
Rivera K-tre
Framus Cobra
Framus Dragon
The Kranks should be higher on the list, but atleast you put them on there. Most people just say Kranks suck without playing em.

Framus Cobra (used)
Framus Dragon

edit : I was to slow
really? cobras used can go under 2 grand?????
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Mesa Mark III

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by giternator
really? cobras used can go under 2 grand?????

theres one on ebay right now

Quote by jimmy666page666
The Kranks should be higher on the list, but atleast you put them on there. Most people just say Kranks suck without playing em.

Framus Cobra (used)
Framus Dragon

edit : I was to slow

Yep
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaney!? You don't have any Laneys. Put up the VH100R and the GH50L/100L/GH100TI
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaney!? You don't have any Laneys. Put up the VH100R and the GH50L/100L/GH100TI

I was thinking that i heard lots of clips but i havn't ever seen one where i live.
Quote by jimmy666page666
I was thinking that i heard lots of clips but i havn't ever seen one where i live.

What's with the roll eyes?

Don't forget the Randell V2/T2 amps too, those are excellent.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's been done, use the search buttom...
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Popsai
It's been done, use the search buttom...

o rly? i will then. lol i thot it hadnt so i did.

laney isnt on there b/c laney isnt as good at metal as the list includes.

and arent those randall hybrids? thats not to be included here.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
o rly? i will then. lol i thot it hadnt so i did.

laney isnt on there b/c laney isnt as good at metal as the list includes.

and arent those randall hybrids? thats not to be included here.

Laney amps aren't good for metal? Have you played one? I mean, Mastodon and a whole load of metal bands use them.

As for the Randall V2/T2, so what if they're hybrid? They sound great and will give many valve amps a run for their money.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Laney amps aren't good for metal? Have you played one? I mean, Mastodon and a whole load of metal bands use them.

As for the Randall V2/T2, so what if they're hybrid? They sound great and will give many valve amps a run for their money.

Peavey 6505/5150
Mesa Boogie Rectifiers
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Road King
Engl Fireball
Engl Powerball
Engl Blackmore sig
VHT Deliverance
Randall MTS
Egnater MOD100/50
Soldano Avenger
Splawn Nitro
Splawn Quick Rod
Splawn Pro Mod
Splawn Pro Stock
Krank Krankenstein /+
Krank Revolution /+
Genz Benz El Diablo 100?
Madison Divinity
Rivera K-tre
Framus Cobra
Framus Dragon
Laney VH100R
Laney GH50L/100L/GH100TI

there happy? i didnt put it up originally b/c it isnt as good as most of these at metal but i wouldnt really know but since you seem to think so, ill add it. i just know it isnt a SUPER high gain amp but ive researched them before.

and no hybrids i said tube. altho i didnt say all-tube but ill go ahead and say it now......all-tube
and arent those randalls actually below the price range lol?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
Peavey 6505/5150
Mesa Boogie Rectifiers
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Road King
Engl Fireball
Engl Powerball
Engl Blackmore sig
VHT Deliverance
Randall MTS
Egnater MOD100/50
Soldano Avenger
Splawn Nitro
Splawn Quick Rod
Splawn Pro Mod
Splawn Pro Stock
Krank Krankenstein /+
Krank Revolution /+
Genz Benz El Diablo 100?
Madison Divinity
Rivera K-tre
Framus Cobra
Framus Dragon
Laney VH100R
Laney GH50L/100L/GH100TI

there happy? i didnt put it up originally b/c it isnt as good as most of these at metal but i wouldnt really know but since you seem to think so, ill add it. i just know it isnt a SUPER high gain amp but ive researched them before.

and no hybrids i said tube. altho i didnt say all-tube but ill go ahead and say it now......all-tube
and arent those randalls actually below the price range lol?

My Laney has more gain on tap than my Mesa/Boogie preamp so I don't know where you get your info from.

The Randall V2 amp is about 1 grand.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
My Laney has more gain on tap than my Mesa/Boogie preamp so I don't know where you get your info from.

The Randall V2 amp is about 1 grand.

yeah well.....good point. heard ur profile tunes. i get my info mostly from u guys and websites of the actual manufacterers and what they calim their amps can do and then check out youtube. but experience is the best source so ill take your word for it.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Remember, metal isn't all about cranking up the gain. If you set the EQ knobs on your amp and guitar right, and pick with a bit of force, you can get a good hard metal tone without usig very much gain at all.
Peavey 6505/5150
Mesa Boogie Rectifiers
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Road King
Engl Fireball
Engl Powerball
Engl Blackmore sig
VHT Deliverance
Randall MTS
Egnater MOD100/50
Soldano Avenger
Splawn Nitro
Splawn Quick Rod
Splawn Pro Mod
Splawn Pro Stock
Krank Krankenstein /+
Krank Revolution /+
Genz Benz El Diablo 100?
Madison Divinity
Rivera K-tre
Framus Cobra
Framus Dragon
Laney VH100R
Laney GH50L/100L/GH100TI
Bogner Uberschall

just saw the uber on ebay going for under 2 grand so add that.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s
Remember, metal isn't all about cranking up the gain. If you set the EQ knobs on your amp and guitar right, and pick with a bit of force, you can get a good hard metal tone without usig very much gain at all.

yeah well.....we live in a modern age where we dont have to do that anymore

but yeah i agree. but can u not agree that with more gain (not excessive) it wouldnt sound better?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator

but yeah i agree. but can u not agree that with more gain (not excessive) it wouldnt sound better?

I find that when you use too much gain when playing metal, you lose quite a bit of definition and some 'attack' for lack of a better word. I like my metal tone more 'percussive' then I do gainy. It sounds loads better and a lot clearer.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by giternator

Yes, but you have to be careful. I personally think you get a better metal sound if you back off the gain and pick those powerchords like your life depended on it. The trouble with a lot of amps is that they have so much gain built in, you actually have to play pretty gently, otherwise your song will sound like a hissy mess. And to my mind, playing gently is not metal.

If you listen to a lot of old school hard rock and metal, a lot of the time it isn't the amp settings or the distortion that make the songs so heavy, it's the way in which the guitarists themselves play. James Hetfield could chug an E on a Marshall MG and it would still sound heavier than ****.

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion as much as I'm entitled to mine.
Marshall MG

^he just clarified its metalness.

Marshall JCM 800.

Quote by giternator

more gain = Wall of noise, no clarity, sloppyness.

And imo in a band it just messes up the mix.
Last edited by False_God at Mar 1, 2008,