It's about 1 ss watt.

You just think it sounds louder, because of some technical stuff I don't wanna go into.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
As far as volume, i think its about 3 SS watts. But electrically, its only 1 SS watt.
Quote by thrilla13w
Please go into it!

I would, but I have no idea what it is.

Someone will come along and explain it, I hope.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
I would, but I have no idea what it is.

Someone will come along and explain it, I hope.

It's some mumbo jumbo with how tubes amplify the sound. I don't really know.

Tube watts sound louder! Roughly 1 ss watt = 2.5 tube. I think that 1 ss to 3 tube is a bit high when you get into higher wattage amps.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
1 watt is 1 watt is 1 watt. the only differences with power, is when you start figuring in clipping.

however, the same power can differ. wattage is the product of voltage and amperage.

example - lets say you clamp your amp and come up with 15 amps and 30 volts.

30 volts x 15 amps = 450 watts rms power

or you can come up with,
15 volts x 30 amps = 450 watts rms power

however, the signal with the higher amperage will be harder on the speaker.
"Are Tube Amps louder than solid state amps of the same power?
Yes and no. If you put a power meter on the output of a tube amplifier and a solid state amplifier that have been matched for total output power, then the meter will read almost exactly the same power for equivalent drive conditions - so in this sense, the answer is no, they are not louder. However, if you LISTEN to the two amps, you'll find that the tube amp does indeed sound louder to your ears, in opposition to what the meter is telling you. Why?
It's tied up in the sensing instrument - that is, your ear. The way the human ear works is that it is very sensitive to the harmonic content of a sound. A tube amp is less linear (that is, has more distortion) at signal levels below clipping than a solid state amplifier. The distortion will increase slowly, and then more rapidly as the amp starts to clip. In fact, the distortion increases so gradually and is of such a benign nature that the onset of audible distortion has no easily defined threshold. The solid state amplifier on the other hand has no such gradualism. It is almost perfectly non-distorting right up to the point that it clips, and then it clips HARD. It's easy to hear the threshold.
This sudden onset of distortion is also composed of relatively harsh sounding distortion, not like the subtle second and third harmonics of the tube amp. The human ear hears the sudden harsh distortion as clipping and harshness. It interprets the low order distortion of the tube amp as a louder sound, not as distortion. In effect, the tube amp fools the ear into thinking that its early distortion is more loudness. They therefore sound louder or more powerful than the actual measurements show are really there. "
to summarise that wall of text...

theyre the same volume, but tubes amplify more frequencies which our ears pick up or something, so it sounds louder
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
It's actually more about harmonics than amplifying certain frequencies. And volume wise, it really depends on the type of tube, i.e. 6L6 vs. EL34 vs. EL84, but it's usually somewhere between 2-3 watts, though tube amps have a higher soft clipping threshold, so they can be turned up louder.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Here is the way it works people. (I'm going to expand on what tuba boy said because he is right) The watt rating on an amp is how loud the amp can get before it starts to break up. Solid state amps reach their peak and they just stop. This is called hard clipping. If you have a solid state amp that is rated at 1 watt it'll never get any louder than that. With a tube amp you get your same 1 watt of clean tone but then it'll keep going. After the 1 watt the soundwave is distorted but it still keeps getting louder. This is called soft clipping.

Think of it like a 2 liter bottle filled with water. You can fill the it untill it's overflowing but it still only holds 2 liters. That is how a solid state amp works. If you cut the bottom of the bottle off and cover it with some thin streachy latex then as you fill the bottle up with water the latex will stretch. When the bottle gets to the point where it's overflowing it'll be holding significantly more than 2 liters of water. Now if you put some pressure behind the watter you are dumping into the bottle then it'll stretch the latex even more which means the bottle will be holding even more that it was when it was just overflowing.

The water is your volume and the strech in the latex is your harmonic distortion and what runs over the top is clipping.

Valve amps do give you more volume but how much more depends on the amp and the tubes you are using.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by rhcp_freak
You just think it sounds louder, because of some technical stuff I don't wanna go into.

Technically, it's because the sound coming from your amp is...thicker. Like, an SS amp puts out cookie crumbs, and a tube amp puts out...hot fudge.

Kidding. I don't remember or know exactly why.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Technically, it's because the sound coming from your amp is...thicker. Like, an SS amp puts out cookie crumbs, and a tube amp puts out...hot fudge.

Kidding. I don't remember or know exactly why.

The answer is in the post right above yours. Tube amps don't just seem louder. They really are louder.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The answer is in the post right above yours. Tube amps don't just seem louder. They really are louder.

Damnit, that's what I get for being lazy and not reading past the 2nd post. Thanks!