Have you ever worked really hard learning a song and playing it, and spent countless hours trying to perfect it? And then when you go to play it in front of people, you screw up so bad? Like, when it's most important to play it right, you do everything wrong? That happened to me today, with a trumpet solo.

I spent weeks trying to perfect it and get everything good. And I had it down just yesterday. I was playing it perfectly except for two measures near the end that just kill me, but I decided I would just go ahead anyway.

So my solo was today, for a Solo/Ensemble competition. I arrive at the school with like 20 minutes left, and the school is confusing because I had never been there, so it took me five minutes to find the warmup rooms for my school. And then I do a quick warmup job. I played a few scales, got comfortable. I head to the site and wait for a few minutes. My band director walks up to me and tells me there's an ensemble going and then a soloist and then it's my turn. So the ensemble goes in, and then they do their stuff. Then a lady calls my name and tells me I'm next. WTF, I thought somebody else was supposed to go before me!

I get in there, and my lips are cold. I didn't warm up enough, and I screw up the first measure, so I start over. And I just stumbled through the entire thing. And to make it worse, there were a bunch of people in there. I didn't know these people, and I didn't want them there. I was thinking to myself "Get the hell out of here, people, I don't need any more pressure than I have already!".

The judge was nice about it. I told him I didn't warm up properly. That's no excuse for me sucking so bad. It was a class A solo, the highest class. People there were probably thinking "Oh my god, this kid really sucks what is he doing playing class A, he should be doing class C!" and then they clapped when I finished. I felt like killing myself. I left the room immediately, and some lady who has an assistant or something was laughing or smiling and told me "Sounded nice". Yeah, I know I sucked lady. Don't need to be sarcastic about it. I sounded horrible.

Has something like this ever happened to anybody else?
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Nope.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
your also ugly
/thread
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
I remember that happening when I was trying out for All State in High School...except I had a saxophone, and when I got into the room, for some reason my reed was bone dry....I could only go a little altimsimo because of this, but nonetheless I thought I did pretty good.

(I didn't get in, though )

EDIT: You're headline is a reference to Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA", right?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
One time I was doing this acoustic version of a song I wrote, and about a week before the show I made the solo a little easier and a bit different. Wrote it just fine and got it down perfectly. Night of the concert, HORRIBLY ****ed up the solo and the rest of the song afterward.

So the whole song was just a few different chords and nothing special so now everybody assumes I'm horrible.

No big deal though. I just busted out my Strat and killed some Satch.

/lie
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
I can't count how many times thats happenned to me. Not only with music but with other little things like giving a speech in front of hundreds of people.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
WALL OF TEXT!!!

*leaves thread*
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

I cant say this ever happened to me. I was always perfect in everything I ever did. When i first started guitar I could play most solos performed by Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, and Joe Satriany.. all at the same time.
A similar thing happened to me at my schools assembly. Thankfully everyone forgot about it and i owned at Battle of the bands, so its all good.
Quote by Pedalboard
One time I was doing this acoustic version of a song I wrote, and about a week before the show I made the solo a little easier and a bit different. Wrote it just fine and got it down perfectly. Night of the concert, HORRIBLY ****ed up the solo and the rest of the song afterward.

So the whole song was just a few different chords and nothing special so now everybody assumes I'm horrible.

No big deal though. I just busted out my Strat and killed some Satch.

/lie

Actually, I usually find slower stuff to be more difficult than faster stuff. Since it's so slow, it needs to be precise, and when you mess up, it's audible. Whereas a bit of bullshit shredding and distortion is enough to cover up most mistakes in faster songs.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Same thing happened to me while preparing for all-state band... with a flute though

I had uber-prepared and the fast piece was PERFECT when I practiced it at home and with my private teacher. Got in the room, got nervous, and ****ed the entire piece up...
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Yes.
I was so nervous I screwed up Killing In The Name Of yesterday.
I cried.
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

Quote by COBHC6
your also ugly
/thread

.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Kind of, just playing guitar in front of my year in school. I did a couple of mistakes because I was nervous and was playing a really **** guitar...

But practice getting your confidence up and be more confident in your playing...
it doesnt matter if you can play it alone, you gotta practice it in front of other people before the really important gig
i had my gcse music performance a few weeks ago and i picked a proper easy thing so easy i could play it with my eyes closed, when it came to the thing i ****ed p like ten notes but i was lucky and got another chance which i did perfectly
Not yet, but probably will on Thursday when I play a concert and have to do 3 frelatively hard solos.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
You sound paranoid. They clapped you off, and the woman was probably smiling out of politeness, and maybe the judge was nice about it because you weren't that bad.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Actually, I usually find slower stuff to be more difficult than faster stuff. Since it's so slow, it needs to be precise, and when you mess up, it's audible. Whereas a bit of bullshit shredding and distortion is enough to cover up most mistakes in faster songs.

In faster stuff, mistakes are easier to cover up, sure, but they're also easier to make.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT