Has anyone here gone to Berklee, or is planning on going to Berklee?
My audition is in a week and I was just wondering if anyone here knows what to expect from the audition.
im thinking of auditioning next year, from what ive heard they want someone well versed-yet orrigional. what are you playing?
Sorry, I really don't have much information, all I can tell you is that a friend of mine got in, and he said the audition wasn't bad at all...Not much info, but maybe it'll ease your nerves
I'm no help to you here, but I wish you the best of luck.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
good luck dude. once you audition PM me and lemme know about it, i got a friend who wants to get into berklee and, hell, i might try that, to.

thogh unless i get really insanely good at guiar by the time i graduate high school (2 and a half years) id probably audition on the violin or both instead o the guitar, since ive played violin since i was 7
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Good luck man, sorry im no help but just wanted to say.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
I'm studying under a Berklee instructor at the moment...I am sort of thinking of the audition sometime in the future, but I've been talking to my friend (who is a bassist) about the music program at William Paterson University...it's supposed to be excellent, and only the really, really good players can get in.

I've talked to my current music teacher and he's said that while you have the usual guitar prodigies attending Berklee, there's still a huge number of people who get in who can barely play at all...as in they're not able to keep time while playing up a scale.

Decisions, decisions...
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
im thinking of auditioning next year, from what ive heard they want someone well versed-yet orrigional. what are you playing?

Im gonna do Little Wing. I know that probably everyone and their dog plays this song, but I feel it represents me fairly well and maybe Jimi will look down on me wherever he is and guide me.

And thank you everyone for the Good Luck, Ill try to make everyone proud
When it's your turn, they call you in and sit you in a practice room for about 15 or 20 minutes. They give you the sheet music you'll be tested on. When you go into the actual audition, the first thing is your prepared piece. They plug you into and amp, take your cd if you have one, and you play. Then they do the sight reading (which is fairly simple), they ask you to build a couple major, minor, and 7th chords. Then they play a couple quick, simple melodies and ask you to play them back. Then you go to the interview.
Quote by saxaxe
When it's your turn, they call you in and sit you in a practice room for about 15 or 20 minutes. They give you the sheet music you'll be tested on. When you go into the actual audition, the first thing is your prepared piece. They plug you into and amp, take your cd if you have one, and you play. Then they do the sight reading (which is fairly simple), they ask you to build a couple major, minor, and 7th chords. Then they play a couple quick, simple melodies and ask you to play them back. Then you go to the interview.

id be screwed then. i know absolutely no theory. but themn again im probably gonna take a music theory class next year which would help me a lot, and then if i brought it over to guitar itd be nice. again, i got 2.5 years

idk bout TS though
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Waste of money. You're better off going to a real college that has a good music program. It's not like those don't exist.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
A friend of mine is auditioning for drums and I'm supporting him with guitar. We're doing the first 3 minutes of Erotomania by Dream Theater and 3 minutes out of one of his originals. Not tough on guitar but the drums are intense on both.

Next Friday in Philly..
Quote by atla18
id be screwed then. i know absolutely no theory. but themn again im probably gonna take a music theory class next year which would help me a lot, and then if i brought it over to guitar itd be nice. again, i got 2.5 years

idk bout TS though

Lol, you thought you could study music in college without theory?
Quote by metaldud536
Lol, you thought you could study music in college without theory?

no i knew that i didnt realize itd be that big a deal though

in the 7-8 years ive played violin our teacher never got into theory at all. any theory i know was taught by my friend who plays keyboard and guitar and he teaches me more theory than my violin teacher (whos a great teacher, just doenst do theory)
Quote by wannabe jesus
This was my audition. I played my piece, then one of the guys started playing drums and I improvised to it. Then I had to sight read a piece(they give you time with it before hand, so it's not even really sight reading) then i had to play some chords, and sing back notes on the keyboard. It wasn't that bad, the people are really cool, and once you get in there it doesn't even really feel like an audition. Good luck.
If you look at the audition requirements on their site, you'll see that you don't even have to know how to read music to get in. The audition, from the way it's described on their site, sounds laughably easy. Really, as long as you're at least marginally competent, you can probably get in.

I'm considering Berklee, but I'm also considering some regular universities with good music programs, like MTSU.
Quote by bimsterfls
This was my audition. I played my piece, then one of the guys started playing drums and I improvised to it. Then I had to sight read a piece(they give you time with it before hand, so it's not even really sight reading) then i had to play some chords, and sing back notes on the keyboard. It wasn't that bad, the people are really cool, and once you get in there it doesn't even really feel like an audition. Good luck.

Did you get in? I'm assuming you did.
Quote by atla18
no i knew that i didnt realize itd be that big a deal though

in the 7-8 years ive played violin our teacher never got into theory at all. any theory i know was taught by my friend who plays keyboard and guitar and he teaches me more theory than my violin teacher (whos a great teacher, just doenst do theory)

I want a teacher like that...so you can read sheet music but don't know theory?
Hey, I just came back from Boston and my Berklee audition!

The Berklee audition is a 2 step process:
-First, there is a one-on-one interview with a staff member of Berklee. He/she asks you about your aspirations, skills, experience, musical preferences, etc.
-Second, there is your actual performance audition in which you bring your own guitar and effects needed. You will need to play a prepared piece and then improvise over a given progression. Then, you will play the sight reading section in which you are given 15 minutes to look at before your actual audition. The sight-reading material includes jazz (swing and latin) melodies and chord changes. You will be tested on both playing the melodies and chord changes. Be prepared to play them at a moderately fast tempo. The final test is the aural recognition test in which one judge plays melodies on the piano and you have to play the melody on your guitar and by singing. The last part of the aural test is the rhythm test in which the judge counts off and then claps a measure's worth of rhythm in which you must immediately follow.

Overall, be prepared, arrive an hour before your audition time, be polite, confident, and dress nicely. Doesn't have to be a formal tux, but put on something decent.

The interview and audition are on 2 separate days, so plan on staying in Boston for at least 3 days. You can get to the audition building by taking the T (Boston's metro system) to Hynes Convention Center (green line, Mass Ave). Mass Ave intersects Boyleston St, in which you will see the main Berklee building on the corner. Turn left and keep walking because there's another Berklee building down the street, which is the audition building.

I think my audition went alright. Applying as a composition major, they were impressed when I showed them scores and arrangements that I've already made. My prepared piece was an arrangement that I did, and my improvisation was a solo guitar rendition of Autumn Leaves. I got pretty much 100% on the aural tests.

Anyways, good luck!

PS: Check out the city if you have the time. Boston is a great place. And also, wear about 4-5 layers of clothing, it's damn cold up there.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 1, 2008,
Quote by metaldud536

i can sight read music on the treble cleff for the violin, yes. but i know very little theory. he taught us a way to play that, rather than knowing the notes on the treble cleff, referred to them as "A, A1" rather than "A, B"
we do that NOW, but we didn't when we started and it started a rough transition. then again, we were all between 7 and 9 when we started at a public school meeting ocne a week so he coudlnt really give us all that much theory.

so i plan on taking a music theory class in my high school (meets 3 days a week) before i graduate (most likely nexdt year, since i will have finished my two years of spanish needed to graduate)
Quote by wannabe jesus
Quote by Holy Katana
If you look at the audition requirements on their site, you'll see that you don't even have to know how to read music to get in. The audition, from the way it's described on their site, sounds laughably easy. Really, as long as you're at least marginally competent, you can probably get in.

I'm considering Berklee, but I'm also considering some regular universities with good music programs, like MTSU.

They've become more strict over the last couple of years. And the thing is, a lot of "marginally competent" guitarists try to audition at Berklee, therefore that itself create competition. You're still expected to be somewhat proficient. Although I probably did better than the average guitarist at sight reading, I still screwed up a little bit and the judges were turned off by that.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by metaldud536

Most classical performance teachings don't emphasize theory on the instrumentalists because the instrumentalists mostly rely on sheet music. They don't need to improvise or know the chord changes because they don't interact with the music that way. It's more about expression and actual proficiency and accuracy of playing. Therefore, aside from knowing key signatures and reading/sight-reading sheet music (which most classical musicians are best at), there's not much more theory needed.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
They've become more strict over the last couple of years. And the thing is, a lot of "marginally competent" guitarists try to audition at Berklee, therefore that itself create competition. You're still expected to be somewhat proficient. Although I probably did better than the average guitarist at sight reading, I still screwed up a little bit and the judges were turned off by that.

To me, "marginally competent" means "somewhat proficient." I have very high standards, you know. And yes, I do include basic sightreading skills on the list of requirements to be marginally competent, because outside of rock, it's an absolutely necessary skill, along with actually being able to read music. These standards most likely come from the fact that I played alto sax for five years in band class, and I was expected to be able to sightread and read music.

Do you think you got in?
Quote by Holy Katana
To me, "marginally competent" means "somewhat proficient." I have very high standards, you know. And yes, I do include basic sightreading skills on the list of requirements to be marginally competent, because outside of rock, it's an absolutely necessary skill, along with actually being able to read music. These standards most likely come from the fact that I played alto sax for five years in band class, and I was expected to be able to sightread and read music.

Do you think you got in?

I'd say that I'm at an advantage.

I have a classical background, can read and write sheet music, knows intermediate theory, knows basic jazz (and will pursue it more in college), experienced on both violin and guitar, already has a start in writing scores for orchestras and other medias, played in multiple audition-based orchestras and other ensembles, arranging a piece to be performed by my high school orchestra, have a head start in using music technologies and programs, decent academic records.

A better resume than the average "marginally competent" guitarist/composition major? I sure hope so.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 1, 2008,
Well, I am not concerned with my piece and the improvisation or the chords scales or whatever. I know a reasonable amount of theory. My main concern is the sight-reading, which I am kind of rusty on, and the aural excersizes. What level would you say the sight-reading was at?
Quote by Seryaph
Well, I am not concerned with my piece and the improvisation or the chords scales or whatever. I know a reasonable amount of theory. My main concern is the sight-reading, which I am kind of rusty on, and the aural excersizes. What level would you say the sight-reading was at?

Very basic.
Ok thats rather comforting.
My guitar teacher went to UNT for their Jazz program, and he has been coaching me on the details of my prepared piece and working with me on reading and stuff, so I am feeling confident. I also have the entire support of my loved ones, which is a great thing, and a lot of people who will be thinking about me on Friday. I give thanks for all of that, and thanks to all of you for the advice.
Quote by Seryaph

Sight-reading is single melody lines, with chords written on top. The chords consist of dominants and its extensions. Nothing too complex. You will be asked to play both the rhythm changes and melodies.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

I have a classical background, can read and write sheet music, knows intermediate theory, knows basic jazz (and will pursue it more in college), experienced on both violin and guitar, already has a start in writing scores for orchestras and other medias, played in multiple audition-based orchestras and other ensembles, arranging a piece to be performed by my high school orchestra, have a head start in using music technologies and programs, decent academic records.

A better resume than the average "marginally competent" guitarist/composition major? I sure hope so.

Yes, that is quite an advantage.
Quote by E Daws
Waste of money. You're better off going to a real college that has a good music program. It's not like those don't exist.

For the most part this guy is right but at normal good schools they typically don't have a diverse amount of majors unlike music only schools.
i know two people who'll be going there...best of luck to you.

in other news, does some of Dream Theater really teach there? me and this other guy thought so, but we can't find anything on it.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by Kid Fisto
i know two people who'll be going there...best of luck to you.

in other news, does some of Dream Theater really teach there? me and this other guy thought so, but we can't find anything on it.

No, but Dream Theater were formed there. However, John, John, and Mike all dropped out after a year.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Where did you start with composing music for an orchestra? I've always been intrested in it but don't exactly have an orchestra at my disposal

I hope to apply to berklee when I'm old enough
Quote by TheOperator
Where did you start with composing music for an orchestra? I've always been intrested in it but don't exactly have an orchestra at my disposal

Well, I play in various orchestras as a violinist, and I listen to a lot of classical music, so I've been around orchestral stuff for a long time. I'm in IB Music HL, which has composition assignments. My school music director approved my orchestral arrangement to be played by the string orchestra. Also, I have Sibelius, so that's a digital orchestra at my disposal...even though it sounds like ass. :P

Anyways, just wanted to post my results: I got in!! Now if they'll only give me a nice scholarship...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana