Hey all,

Im having some trouble getting these pickups into my guitar. First off, I have an Ibanez RGT42DX. It has a 5 way pickup selector and one vol. and one tone.

I went onto EMG's website for schematics and they said you can't use stock 5-way pickup selector. I've heard that you can so I went ahead and put them in.

I have the pickups mounted in. I kept my stock output jack in as well - I just soldered the red battery wire to the 3rd clip on the output jack.

So far so good?

I then took out the stock vol / tone pots and put in the 50k ones that came with the pickups. Here's where my problem is.

The white wire that comes from each pickup I cannot get soldered to the volume pot. The white wires are thick, but on the ends have a skinnier wire coming from them.

I don't know if I made a mistake, but I cut the white wires down because they are really too long and then tried to solder them to the volume put. I have tried cleaning the top of the pots w/rubbing alcohol but it still will not adhere. What to do?

Also, can I use the remaining white wire (which I cut) as wire going from the pot to the switch?

I appreciate any help.
Thanks
oh dear
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
If you're having trouble getting a blob of solder to stick to the pot, try just putting the blob on first. Using a higher wattage iron and a thicker gague of solder should help. Also, some pots have a little notch on them that I sometimes use to help anchor my ground blobs. Just be careful not to dump solder into the little notch, or you'll fudge up the pot.

I think you can use the stock switch, but I've never wired EMG's. Check a diagrahm?
christ. sigh.

okay, so read carefully.

1. unplug you soldering iron, drink some water, eat some food.
2. call you local music shops and ask them if they carry a telecaster switch ( the 4 way tele mod one will be okay) go buy it follow the schematic that comes with it. OR you can use the 5 way one you have but only the one for the middle and bridge an it would be a killswitch in the neck position. could be cool. wire the neck pickup where the middle goes and the bridge to the bridge.
3. STOP CUTTING THE WIRES! you WILL regret it. you WILL keep all the slack you can. That white wire from the pick up you spoke of is a shielded wire, a coaxial. the outer braided wire is the ground lead. the inner wire is the hot ouput lead. instead of 2 separate wires ( usually, black and white that you may be used to, it has 2 wires packaged together.)
4. Practice soldering on the old pots you had. to solder to the back of a pot you need to heat the back of it for about a minute then try to solder to it. just hold it there for a while. i don't know why but i find it easier to solder to the rounded corner edge of the pot.

check out guitarelectronics.com they have good cartoons of the wiring diagrams
Since I already cut the white wires down, can I use the remainder of them to run to the switch from the vol pot?
Quote by ReMiNiSc3
Since I already cut the white wires down, can I use the remainder of them to run to the switch from the vol pot?

A lead is a lead. Go for it.
are you soldering correctly? You know that the solder shouldnt actually even touch the iron unless your tinning the tip before you start
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Update:

After buying some new flux solder, everything soldered on w/no problems.

However, there is a new problem. I only get sound if I plug my guitar cable in 3/4 the way in. If I plug it all the way in or anything less than 3/4, I get NO sound.

Any ideas?
Quote by ReMiNiSc3

yes since you have that loose wire it will be very good for that since it is shielded you will inhibit hum. just use the inner wire to run to the volume and ground out the sleeve.

Quote by ReMiNiSc3
Update:

After buying some new flux solder, everything soldered on w/no problems.

However, there is a new problem. I only get sound if I plug my guitar cable in 3/4 the way in. If I plug it all the way in or anything less than 3/4, I get NO sound.

Any ideas?

you might have a stereo 1/4" jack. were there 3 spots to wire to or where there 2?

stereo jacks have three parts Tip, Ring, and Sleeve, hence the jargon 1/4" TRS
mono jacks have 2 parts Tip and Sleeve, hence 1/4" TS

you need to run the hot lead to the tip section of the jack and the ground to the sleeve part. if you you have a third spot for the ring, ground it. guitars have mono output and you can use a stereo jack for a mono output if you ground the ring.
Last edited by brentonlatour at Mar 1, 2008,