So, there's some talk about the Champ 600 being a sodden boxy rubbish pile, and also some talk about it being bang on good for this or that. So I recorded a clip, and put it on my profile. I used the 'meh' mic built into my laptop, so you can hear it flubbering around at times, but it's a decent clip.

Just for the sake of completeness, I was playing a CIJ Aerodyne Strat, plugged straight into the Champ. The champ is stock, circut wise, but had the unbranded chinese 12AX7 swapped for a Groove Tube branded Sovtek 12AX7, and the unbranded chinese 6V6 swapped for an older Soviet-made 6L6GC. I tell you the positions and setting I use in the clip, too. I'm so nice.

*disclaimer*: putting a 6L6GC in your Champ will slowly fry the OT. Don't blame me if you melt your champ; I'm trying to fry my OT so I have a better excuse to get a new one than "I want to".

Enjoy!
Nice! I thought it sounded great up until you cranked it at like 2:15.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.

Considered putting a 6F6 in it? They're nice tubes and pretty much a direct replacement for a 6V6 afaik...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Nice! I thought it sounded great up until you cranked it at like 2:15.

Yup, it's a little harsh with everything maxed. I prefer it cranked on the Low input. I'd have rolled off some trebble from the bridge pup, but I'm trying to keep the Aerodyne stock, and haven't done the little "2nd tone-to-bridge-pup" mod.
Quote by MrCarrot

Considered putting a 6F6 in it? They're nice tubes and pretty much a direct replacement for a 6V6 afaik...

Oops, never heard of one. Excuse me while I open my Tubedepot.com bookmark..

Thanks!
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Yup, it's a little harsh with everything maxed. I prefer it cranked on the Low input. I'd have rolled off some trebble from the bridge pup, but I'm trying to keep the Aerodyne stock, and haven't done the little "2nd tone-to-bridge-pup" mod.

Oops, never heard of one. Excuse me while I open my Tubedepot.com bookmark..

Thanks!

I bet you if you swapped the speakers with something like a 10" or a 12", it would sound pretty killer. Right now, I have a Champ clone that some guy put in a Toneblaster head. It sounded pretty turd before when it was in a combo form, but now when you plug it in a 4x12, it sounds killer.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I bet you if you swapped the speakers with something like a 10" or a 12", it would sound pretty killer. Right now, I have a Champ clone that some guy put in a Toneblaster head. It sounded pretty turd before when it was in a combo form, but now when you plug it in a 4x12, it sounds killer.

Yea, I can't wait to try it in the 2x12" I'm having built. Might mellow out that thin top when cranked...but as it is, it's a great little practice/recording amp.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Yea, I can't wait to try it in the 2x12" I'm having built. Might mellow out that thin top when cranked...but as it is, it's a great little practice/recording amp.

Yeah, it sounds pretty great from what I've heard in your clips. I was going to get one but I could never find one so I ended up getting a Valve Junior.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah, it sounds pretty great from what I've heard in your clips. I was going to get one but I could never find one so I ended up getting a Valve Junior.

Having had both, I prefer the Champ, but my Twin Reverb has me on a Fender high. That might be it.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Having had both, I prefer the Champ, but my Twin Reverb has me on a Fender high. That might be it.

Oh god. Those amps terrify me. My friend has one and it's too bloody loud.

They sound great though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Oh god. Those amps terrify me. My friend has one and it's too bloody loud.

They sound great though.

Mine terrifies everyone in my dorm...all 800 of them, at the same time. And I'm only running it with two 6L6's.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Mine terrifies everyone in my dorm...all 800 of them, at the same time. And I'm only running it with two 6L6's.

I can see the headlines now. 'Student slaughters 800 with a tool of pure sonic bliss'

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Speaking of the Champ, I've got one, it's nice but the small speaker lets it down a bit, dya reckon I'll be able to run it through my 16ohm cab without doing any damage? Seeing as the Champ's 4ohm...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Nice cleans btw.

But, the dirt is nasty tbh... Reminds me of my stock Valve Junior. Lots and lots of fizzy fizzy fizz.
Quote by MrCarrot
Nice cleans btw.

But, the dirt is nasty tbh... Reminds me of my stock Valve Junior. Lots and lots of fizzy fizzy fizz.

On the subject...I just put an EXH 12AT7 into the preamp...problem solved. I just about shat myself.

Then, the 12AT7 died, with a huge microphonic squeal. Poop.

I'll definitally be ordering some 12AT7's tonight, though. The fizzyness was just damn gone.
I recommend a NOS 12AT7. I got a NOS Mullard CV4024 - a ruggedized 12AT7) in my VJs V1 position... Awesome sounding valve, built to last and dirt cheap because it's 12AT7.
Quote by MrCarrot
I recommend a NOS 12AT7. I got a NOS Mullard CV4024 - a ruggedized 12AT7) in my VJs V1 position... Awesome sounding valve, built to last and dirt cheap because it's 12AT7.

Sweet...there's some tastey-looking assorted JAN 12AT7's on tube depot that look good, too.
nice clips. i haven't seen one before, i'd like to try it though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?