View poll results: Which amp for heavy metal/$500 used budget
Peavey triple x super 40 efx combo
18 56%
B-52 212 100w combo
12 38%
Something else..please specify
2 6%
Voters: 32.
Hey guys, so lately I haven't been getting the metal tones out of my palomino. Don't get me wrong I love the v8 for rock/blues thing and it can pull off a little metal with my badmonkey, but thats pushing it basically to the max. And so I was looking for a decent reasonably priced amp that can do metal on its own, no dist. pedal lol. And at my local music store there's a Peavey triple xxx super 40 efx combo for 500 bucks, and at guitar center there's a B-52 212 100w for 300 bucks.

So what would you guys choose between these for metal, I've read people said the B-52 is a poor man's recto but i think people just got confused with the 3 rectifier options since it only has one rectifier like all amps right..unless it is voiced like a mesa recto. And the triple xxx looks really good for metal maybe in the like of the 5150's? and has some effects that might be a bit useful, tho you don't need to take those into account. Btw I'm pretty sure I can't go much above 500 dollars which is why I wouldn't be able to get a mesa And I really like bands like Slayer, Metallica, Lamb of God, Symphony X. Thx
The Triple XXX isn't like the 5150. The Triple XXX has a very wet and loose sounding gain. Something akin to a Rectifier I suppose. The 5150 has a bit more of a tighter gain sound.

I'd go with the Triple XXX in your position but that's me.

go out and try them and see what you like.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have the 60 watt combo version of the xxx without the effects and it is great. its very versitile and can do metal great on both the crunch and ultra channels, at low volumes i use a tubescreamer to get a little more OOMPH out of it, but when its cranked theres no need for pedals, its some of the best metal sounds i've heard. btw, you should look around a little more, i got a 60 watt version for $450 off of guitar center, if you go on used.guitarcenter.com you can look at the used gear from all over the country, and mine was shipped to me free. also, i tried the b-52 and its not as great as everyone says, metal on it is fine but nothing special.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Above 800? Carvin V3, used 5150,Randall V2, used Single Rectifier, etc...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I played the B52 a few days ago, and liked it. It sounded close to a Mesa to me.
I found a 5150 on used.guitarcenter for 600 bucks and i'm emailing the store about it. But then i was looking around and saw these new amps by Bugera(distributed by behringer) that are supposed to be clones of the 6505, 6506+, triple xxx, and JSX that look pretty nice. Anyone have info on these, i looked on youtube and read the sparce reviews but from what i see they seem to be good deals.
Alright so i tried out the triple xxx and I luv it! Its really nice, i like the cleans-nice and warm, the crunch channel- man this is very unique and now i know what people are talking about when they want crunch, and the ultra channel is nice for heavy stuff. Yay! no more metal muff for me!
try and score a mark III combo (i love mine)
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
So it looks like you bought it huh? Nice choice
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.